• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

HPV vaccine

Thinktank

Does anyone know if there are any cases of ME/CFS related to the HPV vaccine?
Or if there are any dangers to it?

Helen

Hi @Thinktank , Yes, I´ve been contacted by two mothers of daughters who got the vaccine and not long afterwards developed ME. I think there was a clear connection, although the girls probably have a susceptability to develop ME. They had some other of the factors that we often see, like family members with ASD and/or autoimmune diseases. The vaccine is free for young girls here, so many have been vaccinated and there are also a lot of discussions among parents with daughters who developed ME. Coincidence? I don´t think so.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
There have been occasional posts here where people have mentioned developing ME after the getting the HPV vaccine but that doesn't necessarily mean there is a direct connection.

@Gingergrrl may have something to say about the vaccine in general.

Hip

See: Post-HPV vaccine CFS: 25% cured by treating their nasopharyngitis with zinc chloride

It seems that the ME/CFS-like condition that can appear after HPV vaccination often involves chronic inflammation of the nasopharynx (which is just above the back of your throat). This inflammation is painless and has no noticeable local symptoms, but when treated topically with a zinc chloride solution, the patient's ME/CFS condition cleared up.

Last edited:

Thinktank

Thanks for all your responses!
It's sad to hear that people have actually died from the vaccine.

My girlfriends' rheumatologist has been pushing her to vaccinate for HPV, but how necessary is it really? We don't fool around with others and i understand HPV is only transmitted sexually.
She has tested negative for the common HPV types.

She suffers from lupus (SLE) and is afraid that unnecessary medication will cause complications. She has seen how prescribed medication has completely destroyed me, so i completely understand the aversion.

To the women on PR, would you take the HPV vaccine if offered?

Gingergrrl

anni66

mum to ME daughter
I know of a 13 year old with ME where Gardisil was definitely the trigger.

Her family have been through hell , nit solely with ME but also as it is not recognised as a " trigger" for this illness. They were doubly nit believed.

At one point their daughter was going to be placed with a foster family as her school attendance was an issue ( she was ill!!)

Huge endocrine problems ( periods stopped for months, then v heavy, now she is growing excess facial and body hair- fir a 13 year old this must be awful)

Bear in mind that this drug
only had a 2 week window for adverse event reporting(!)
Is like tetanus vaccine- it needs boosted at 10 year intervals and so the viral load is high and consequent inflammatory response is high

The are facebook groups specifically for support for girls damaged by this vaccine.

Thinktank

Sorry to hear about what the girl has gone though.

I will share the info with my girlfriend, it's up to her if she wants to have the vaccine but i'm pretty sure she won't.

I fear that if she takes the vaccine and somehow develops complications, the docs will blame it on "worsening" of her lupus, then placing her on harsher immunosupressing medication which leads to further complications and so on.
You don't know the amount of incompetent doctors i have spoken with, it's unbelievable. Everytime she goes to the hospital i have to accompany her during consultations, just to keep them from prescribing bullshit which she doesn't need like ciprofloxacin for an uncomplicated UTI (which was actually caused by yeast, she was on high dose prednisolone back then, imagine what would have happened with the yeast infection if she really took that nuclear bomb of an antibiotic...). Or an SSRI as "preventative measure" because the doc. feared that she might get depressed after her lupus diagnosis.

I'm wondering, do doctors even know about the possible adverse effects of these vaccines? Or do they just shrug it off?
They didn't know jack about the fluoroquinolone toxicity poisoning from the ciprofloxacin that i got prescribed, and neither about benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome that has been lasting for years now due to xanax, valium and klonopin prescriptions.

Sorry for the vent, i just can't handle incompetent doctors anymore, trust nobody.

Last edited:

Gingergrrl

Sorry to hear about what the girl has gone though.

Me, too, I am very sorry to hear this @anni66.

I fear that if she takes the vaccine and somehow develops complications, the docs will blame it on "worsening" of her lupus, then placing her on harsher immunosupressing medication which leads to further complications and so on.

Exactly, and I agree.

You don't know the amount of incompetent doctors i have spoken with, it's unbelievable.

I do b/c I have met so many myself along this journey. Too many to even count.

Everytime she goes to the hospital i have to accompany her during consultations, just to keep them from prescribing bullshit which she doesn't need like ciprofloxacin for an uncomplicated UTI

Your girlfriend is very lucky to have you as an advocate and sadly doctors still hand out FQ antibiotics like they were candy.

I'm wondering, do doctors even know about the possible adverse effects of these vaccines? Or do they just shrug it off? They didn't know jack about the fluoroquinolone toxicity poisoning from the ciprofloxacin that i got prescribed

I think that some truly do not know and others just don't care.

anni66

mum to ME daughter
Japan has halted mandatory vaccinations and Denmark is reassessing things in light of Merck's handling of adverse event info.

Whilst not a direct trigger for my daughter, the inflammation within a body struggling with growth issues ( oesteochronditis), sport injuries, emotional stress ( bullying) and puberty - i definately think it' s part of the mix.

We also were not told that it deals with a limited number of strains ( ie not complete protection - a bit like polio vaccine),nand it needs boosted.

From the children i am aware of who have significant health issues ( many more POTS than ME) , i would not recommend it.
Rushed to market.

Gingergrrl

Japan has halted mandatory vaccinations and Denmark is reassessing things in light of Merck's handling of adverse event info.

I did not realize that the Gardisil vaccine was actually mandatory in some countries! It is optional in the US and up to the parents (if person under 18 yrs old). In the US, the vaccine is given to girls/women ages 9-26. I was already too old when vaccine was released so it was never an issue for me. But had I been young enough, I would not have done it.

geraldt52

I'm wondering, do doctors even know about the possible adverse effects of these vaccines? Or do they just shrug it off?
Or, maybe they're getting paid handsomely by the vaccine manufacturers to maintain their blissful ignorance and blindly follow the CDC's propoganda...