1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
9th Invest in ME International ME Conference, 2014 - Part 1: Autoimmunity and ME
Mark Berry begins a series of articles on the 9th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London, with a look at three presentations on autoimmunity
Discuss the article on the Forums.

hpu and detox protocol

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by learner2life, Sep 1, 2011.

1. learner2life

learner2life David Pain

Tijuana-San Jose, Ca
    Hey all,
    I came across an interesting video from Dr. Klinghart talking about the hpu illness that often times is associated with lyme disease and autism. It really sounds like something that we should test for. Please watch all of the seminar. It is packed with incredible insights and different treatment ideas from beginning to end. I am really interested in trying some of his detox programs that he describes. Please watch.
    The video is at the bottom of the page.

http://planetthrive.com/2010/04/hpukpu-protocol-for-lyme-and-autism/

What do you think?
    David
  2. Cindi

Cindi Senior Member

I have most of the symptoms of Pyroluria and have tried main supplements from time to time. I could not concentrate on the issue as i am quite ill.. There is a yahoo group called Pyrroluria. You might wish to check.Best wishes.
  3. kday

kday Senior Member

My chest pain went away, and my anxiety greatly decreased after taking his Core supplement for Pyroluria. I had chest pain for two years before this supplement (especially severe in the morning).

I'm beginning to think that many of us could have "rare" porphyrias and pyroluria that leads to Cytochrome P450 metabolism and methylation problems, B12 deficieny, food sensitivities, environmental illness, mold illness, EMF illness, etc. Up to 20% may be carriers of porphyria and an infectious or toxic insult could cause secondary porphyria. Unfortunately it can be difficult to test for.

I started using binders that are supposed to bind porphorins, and my liver congestion (as tested by percussion dullness) and urine frequency is better.
  4. aprilk1869

aprilk1869 Senior Member

Scotland, UK
    This is something I've been thinking about for a while but the thought of taking large amounts of minerals scares me.

My mum has MS (symptoms fatigue and declining cognition) and is on Freddd's protocol.

Seemingly HPU can be caused by stress. My mum got ill 3 years after her dad died. She was very stressed and upset about it and would grind her teeth. Apparently teeth grinding is a sign of HPU. It can also cause mercury from fillings to be released (she ended up with a lot of dental problems).

Add all this to the fact that she was on a low b12/fat diet and would exercise excessively. I wonder if some sort of infection then came along and it was the straw that broke the camel's back.

I've also read that many people with MS and ME have very low ESR levels. It's thought that this is because of pathogens produce fibrin causing hypercoagulation. Anything less than 4 is considered very low and my Mum's ESR came back recently as 1.5.

HPU can be caused by various pathogens and various pathogens can cause low ESR. So could low ESR be an indicator of HPU?

Another thing about HPU and the deficiencies it causes, I came across this study about MS:-

High levels of NO have also been linked to fibrin/low ESR.

When she first got ill she was basically told "you have MS, there's nothing that can be done, go home and forget about it." So she got Judy Graham's book and started taking Evening Primrose Oil. It's difficult to say whether it helped or not but this is one kind of oil that's suggested as part of the HPU protocol.

We're in the process of getting a hair analysis so it will be interesting to see what comes up.
  5. liquid sky

liquid sky Senior Member

Hi Kday, may I ask what binders you used to bind porphorins? Having similar liver problems. Thanks.
  6. kday

kday Senior Member

I've been taking activated charcoal (about 5 grams twice a day which I think is quite a lot) and I have been taking Chlorella. I am not sure how much the Chlorella does.

If you don't do well with activated charcoal, Another option for binding porphorins is cholestyramine.

I got most of tratment info here:
    http://www.cpnhelp.org/secondaryporphyria

Some abstracts here about activated charcoal/cholestyramine and porphoria:
    http://www.cpnhelp.org/book/export/html/3755

If you take activated charcoal, it is important to take 2 hours away from food and supplements. I took a Vicodin the other night without thinking about an hour after ingesting the activated charcoal and it had no effect.
  7. liquid sky

liquid sky Senior Member

Hey kday, I meant to come back and thank you for the links, but forgot. I looked up about porphyria. I would like to take charcoal, but am really afraid it will interfere with my meds. unfortunately, I take a lot of medication throughout the day and night.Thanks again.
  8. Graeme

Graeme almost there...

Montreal
    It seems Klinghardt is less excited about his HPU protocol these days. He was talking about it as if it was the missing link a couple years ago. Now he states that if MMP-9 is elevated, as it is with many if not most of us, the protocol will actually make things worse. The reason for this is MMP-9 is zinc dependent, and what the enzyme does is "...makes it easier for the bugs to eat you."

Although I value Klinghardt's insights, I believe it's wise to take his ideas and enthusiasm with a grain of salt; try them but listen to your body, which is hard to do in this instance as the HPU protocol is no walk in the park. All that said, I admire when a researcher or clinician is able to change direction.

According to Klinghardt, grinding the teeth can also be indicative of parasites.
  9. Graeme

Graeme almost there...

Montreal
    Concerning dosing with CSM and other sequestrants, the following seems to make sense: (from http://www.ei-resource.org/articles...es/neurotoxins--treatment-information-sheet/)

1- Take your thyroid as soon as you wake (leave it at your bedside with a glass of water). A half-hour later take your Daily Energy Enfusion vitamin powder, lipoic acid 300 mg and nystatin (and Cortef if prescribed). You can also take any other medications that are needed for other problems at this time. Take the Questran one hour later (1 scoop mixed in eight ounces of apple juice or distilled water followed by 12 ounces of distilled water). Exactly one-half hour after taking Questran, eat something that has at least a teaspoon of healthy fat (e.g. -- one egg or a pat of butter). Eating makes your body pour the neurotoxin containing bile into your gut. Eating hour after the Questran puts the medicine right where it needs to be (like a catchers mitt) to soak up and bind the neurotoxins.
    2- Also take the next 2 doses of Questran (each day) as close to a half hour before lunch and dinner as you can. Take your last (4th) daily dose one-half hour before bedtime and eat some turkey or an egg right at bedtime. Take your sleep medications/herbals an hour before the nighttime Questran.
  10. aquariusgirl

aquariusgirl Senior Member

A word of caution about questran/cholestyramine. I believe it binds B12 & fats.
    I have had the most hellacious experiences taking this product & other PWCs have said the same thing.
    Some folks can tolerate it.
    IF you get a bad reaction, I would supplement some fatty acids & B12 double quick.
    Personally, I know I cannot tolerate it.
  11. aquariusgirl

aquariusgirl Senior Member

Graeme: where did you get the latest info about Klinghardt KPU & MMP9? Thanks.
  12. aprilk1869

aprilk1869 Senior Member

Scotland, UK
  13. Graeme

Graeme almost there...

Montreal
    Shoemaker has said he suspects most people who have this reaction to cholestyramine have Lyme. That the exacerbation of symptoms is the result of mobilizing toxins.

The above link from thebetterhealthguy is great but there are also the following sets of notes from the same conference.

http://lymebytes.blogspot.com/2011/05/highlights-from-deep-look-beyond-lyme.html

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...es (fms-like or not)&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca
  14. aprilk1869

aprilk1869 Senior Member

Scotland, UK
    Klinghardt refers to MMP-9 and says we should get that down before going on HPU protocol. I wanted to see if there was a connection between MMP-9 and the methylation cycle. It seems that there is. Those who have high levels of homocysteine also have higher levels of MMP9 than controls.

I also came across info relating to ALA and MMP-9

There also seems to be a connection with glutathione.

See more popular forum discussions.