1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
9th Invest in ME International ME Conference, 2014 - Part 2: Pathogens and the Gut
Mark Berry continues his series of articles on the 9th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London, with the emphasis shifting from autoimmunity to pathogens and the gut ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

HPHPA enzyme from Clostridia bacteria in the gut linked to anxiety and psychosis symptoms

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Hip, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Article: Anxiety In Your Head Could Come From Your Gut

The enzyme HPHPA from Clostridia species bacteria in the gut can affect brain chemistry, leading the anxiety and psychosis symptoms.

HPHPA — full name 3-(3-hydroxyphenyl)-3-hydroxypropionic acid — can cause an excess production of dopamine and reduced levels of norepinephrine, leading to mental symptoms.

HPHPA causes deactivation of an enzyme so that dopamine cannot be converted to the neurotransmitter neuroepinephrine, and that causes a build-up of dopamine.

HPHPA has been found in higher concentrations in urine samples of children with autism.

This article says that treatment with metronidazole, vancomycin, or high doses of probiotics of individuals with high urinary values of HPHPA has led to significant clinical improvements or remissions of psychosis.

HPHPA is produced by the Clostridia species:
    Clostridium sporogenes
    Clostridium botulinum
    Clostridium caloritolerans
    Clostridium mangenoti
    Clostridium ghoni
    Clostridium bifermentans
    Clostridium difficile
    Clostridium sordelli

Also of interest:
    Inhibition of dopamine conversion to norepinephrine by Clostridia metabolites appears to be a (the) major cause of autism, schizophrenia, and other neuropsychiatric disorders. All these factors can now be monitored in The Great Plains Laboratory Organic Acids Test.
    William Shaw, Ph.D., The Great Plains Laboratory.
    alex3619, santi and merylg like this.
  2. AbbyDear

AbbyDear

usa
    Interesting. I wonder if there might be similar issues with other bacteria as well.
  3. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Yes I wonder that too.

I while ago I was looking at bacterial toxins and virulence factors as a possible source of problems in ME/CFS. But bacteria do more than just make toxins and virulence factors; their enzymes and various metabolic processes may also interfere with normal physiology, leading to physical or mental symptoms.

I guess the hard thing is identifying the pathways by which bacteria can alter human physiology.
    AbbyDear likes this.
  4. Beyond

Beyond 10% of discount in iHerb!--> PEZ915

Murcia, Spain
  5. acer2000

acer2000 Senior Member

merylg and Beyond like this.
  6. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    I think there is an older thread on HPHPA. I wonder if Lipkin will see a problem here when he does a gut biome study in ME and CFS?

See more popular forum discussions.