• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

HPA Dysfunction and Low Testosterone Levels

PhoenixBurger

Hip Valentijn Sushi heapsreal .... and all you other smartypants out there ... this question is for you.

Lets say an individual was dealing with Hypothalamus Pituitary Adrenal Axis Dysfunction, and was found to be abnormal on cortisol levels, DHEA levels, and specifically, found that their Testosterone level had taken a total skydive from 500 to 240 since their problems began.

Given the assumption of HPA Dysfunction, and the fact that HPA controls countless hormone and steroid production activities in the body, it would be assumed that the suddenly low Testosterone is related to this.

*WOULD* supplementing with bioidentical testosterone externally really be a good idea to restore testosterone levels? Or is that akin to a fresh coat of paint on a rotting fence? Given the fact that supplementing testosterone absolutely reduces the natural production of testosterone to almost zero, this is why I ask this question. I realize there are other methods for stimulating *natural* testosterone production such as Clomid, which stimulates FSH and LH and subsequently natural T production. But even this has its risks...

So what say you. Start the testosterone supplementation to stave off the damaging effects of abnormally low T? Or is that a very bad idea ...

Thoughts?

Plum

I think my first question would be as to how old you were? Testosterone does decrease with age.

Regardless of that I have had the same issue but with female hormones. I supplemented with bioidentical progesterone and the results for me were terrible and took a year after stopping supplementation to correct. Now understanding things better I would not supplement with hormones myself but I have seen a lot of people who do benefit from it but then they don't have ME or other health issues.

I personally am working on hormonal balance naturally - diet, perrin therapy, 'exercise' etc. HPA axis dysfunction is a hard one especially when the knock on affect can leave every cell in your body exhausted. Trial and error has lead me to going back to basics - food, water, toxic load etc and taking things really slowly.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
All i can say is treating all this has helped me alot but is behind antivirals and treating infections etc which i think is closer to the cause. Im not sure if one would feel the full benefits of treating hormones when infections are still a major issue??

Hormones have a flow on effect starting with pregnenolone, dhea, cortisol, testosterone. I would start with pregnenolone and dhea in small doses like 5mg and slowly build them up. Initially we cfsers can get over stimulated by them, so low and slow. Estrogen (E2) can be an issue for men as dhea as well as testosterone can aromatise to E2, so need to keep an eye on that. Also check thyroid too as this can also upset the apple cart.

If T hasnt improved then yes try other methods like clomid, doses of 12.5mg 3 times a week has had good results in studies. Also nolvadex is another that can help switch on testosterone production. If u need to go on testosterone therapy and then thinking of fertility issues, some people go off T and do the clomid thing and or hcg to stimulate natural T production. HCG in low doses is used by many guys on TRT to prevent testicular atrophy, doing this should help one maintain fertility. For what its worth, i have been on a testosterone cream10% and my doc said that he sees alot less testicular atrophy with creams, so far i would say hes right, so its a sign that one is still producing some of their own testosterone??

Treating the hpa axis dysfunction the best you can, can only help keep you running along better with improved immune system, better recovery, improved insulin sensitivity etc etc We need all the hormones to function so they need to be at optimal levels or one will never fully improve. Just like sleep, if one doesnt sleep well then u just wont improve until your sleeping well??

Trying to find a doctor that knows about this stuff is almost has hard as finding a doctor who knows about cfs/me. Many bodybuilding sites have hormone replacement sections which can help with more info, but a warning many have uge ego's etc You have probably looked at this site but heres a link, reading the stickies will give u alot of info,
http://tnation.t-nation.com/free_on...320AA127C-mcd02.hydra?pageNo=1&s=forumsNavTop

good luck dude,
cheers!!!

PhoenixBurger

Thanks all. My age is 38. My testosterone level is that of a 90 year old.
Maybe I'll freeze my sperm before I start messing with things :)

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Thanks all. My age is 38. My testosterone level is that of a 90 year old.
Maybe I'll freeze my sperm before I start messing with things :)

keep researching , bodybuilders who have taken steriods and mega high doses for years have been able to father children. definately not ideal but it can be fixed and alot easier then a bodybuilder if your just doing testosterone replacement, not juicing??

suz9601

Moving Forward...
Sorry I don't have any help to offer but I am dealing with the same thing only female and my estrogen has plummeted. I am 35. I am trying to decide whether to treat bioidentically as well....I don't want to turn off what little amount I am making though...it's a tough place to be and have not found a doc that can help...hope you find some answers soon.