• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How well would this method work transdermally?

mermaid

I just wondered if anyone here with greater science knowledge than I have, has any idea how well this method would work that I have been trying in the last few days?

I am using most of the methylation supps as advised via a Dr who has done some testing on me. I seem able to tolerate them all (am on B12 Methylcobalamin and Folate and many other supps for various ME issues), apart from L-Carnitine, though have had a bit of a crash since Christmas and have reduced my thyroid meds a tad (T3) as I was getting a lot of migraine aura and suspected that was part of the reason. Also I am doing another adrenal test as I fear they may be struggling a bit (had 2 previously and 2nd one showed not too bad results but was 2 yrs ago).

I had the lowest score Dr Myhill had recorded re L-Carnitine around 5 yrs ago (mind you I was actually more functional then...so not sure how that fits). I was unable to take the supplements due to severe stomach pain each time I took it. I have gastritis, and possibly ulcer now, which is being investigated, despite loads of self-help on my diet and stomach issues generally. I am guessing that Carnitine is too acid for me.

Around 2 yrs ago I was retested for Carnitine and had improved a lot even without the supps, though still below normal. Recently I decided to try Carnitine again, this time the Fumarate sort in capsules. Again I had the dreadful stomach pain, which took 2 weeks to clear after ONE capsule! I just have it all calmed down and do not want to repeat the experience.

Soo..... this is what I am trying...... breaking open a capsule or 2 and putting in a pot with a few sprays of magnesium oil which has DMSO in it. It dissolves nicely and then I rub it on my skin. Any thoughts on efficacy of this? I am only just ramping up to 2 capsules so a bit early to tell re my own observations.....

PeterPositive

Interesting... I find carnitine hard on my stomach too. If the transdermal way worked I could give it a try.
Never thought of that. I am interested in knowing more.

ahmo

I now put my PM carnitine in my footbath. And if in process, I put my midday dose in my enema. I've been using my footbaths for many of my supps for more than a year. As far as I can tell I don't need any different dose than if I took them orally. This allows me to use the cheapest form of Vit C (ascorbic acid) And Ca (Ca Carbonate). I've begun to wonder if the bicarb which is always a part of my FB helps carry the other supps, but have no idea, it's just something I've wondered about since seeing a few current threads talking about bicarb.
Things I put into my FB: Bicarb, Vit C, Ca, K+, aminos, other minerals; sometimes if needed for detox I'll add chlorella. Often if in detox mode I'll use a 2nd FB w/ clay and charcoal before the bicarb etc.

mermaid

@ahmo I like the idea of using things in a footbath - haven't tried that myself. But doesn't it dilute these things so that you don't get the full effect? I realise it probably doesn't matter for some of them, but by using the carnitine in the way I am doing, I actually apply the whole amount to the skin.

mermaid

@PeterPositive To be honest I got the idea of using the Carnitine from Dr Myhill who says in her notes that you can dilute any supplement in very little water and use it transdermally. I did try this, but I think the magnesium oil works a lot better as you can spray it on the powder and it dissolves it very quickly. Also the DMSO means it is presumably going through the skin more easily.

ahmo

@mermaid I seem to get the full effect of all the things I'm using this way. From small dose supps (tiny capsule manganese, small cap of lithium) to the larger dose powders (K+, C, Ca)...this is just the way I get many of my supps. I'm using quite a high dose of malic acid these days, I guess I could do it with capsules, but there's no way I'd be wanting to take it orally.