• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How to use your desktop computer and full size monitor while laying down

Vincent

Ok, here is my custom setup for using my computer. It may or may not be useful to others, espcially if you have trouble getting up and off the floor, and require a bed. I can't sleep in a bed because I need someone that is unwaveringly firm. I spent 800 dollars on an ultra firm bed and within 12 months it had a dip in it and I had to throw it away. I told myself never again.

Anyway here is what you need to buy:

Walmart Small Glass Desk, don't install the keyboard tray, since it will block your view.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Glass-Top-Desk-Clear/16539535

7in Bed Risers
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=40149790

Japanese Futon
http://www.amazon.com/Traditional-J...?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1348770592&sr=1-19
(also available on ebay under sellername danfuton, that is where I bought mine)

22in Lcd or less
Whatever brand you like

What you do is build the desk without the keyboard tray, then put it on top of the bed risers, making sure to push the risers as far out to the side to maximize internal width. You then slide the futon right in, it fits perfectly. You put your lcd face down, on the glass desk. You can then see it while laying flat. I use a wireless kebyoard and mouse.

The dimensions on the twin futon are too generous, it actually measures slightly over 36in but not 37, so it fits snugly. I took an old piece of memory foam and cut it with scissors, then I lay pillows on top of that for softness. It depends how soft you like it. The good news is the futon is very firm so you can soften it easily. I added the bungie cord for stability and I can also hang things from it, like my computer headset or anything else.

09262012200.jpg
[/IMG]
09262012200.jpg

09262012201.jpg

09262012206.jpg

Then just run your cables to your computer. I have a dual display video card that allows two monitors at the same time, running in clone view. This way no matter if I'm sitting at my desk, or laying down, I can keep doing whatever I was doing before hand. Note this desk does come with a rear stabilization X pattern of thin metal but I ran out of energy while putting it together and never installed it. The bungie cord helps but it's plenty stable as is. The weight limit on the glass is 50lbs, and a modern lcd is 10 lbs or so. I recommend nothing lager than 22in, since you are so close to the screen. I believe the idle size would be 20 but they are harder to find. A laser mouse can be used on the blankets or on a pillow. If you need a hard surface I use a clipboard with a mouse pad on it. With this setup you can be as flat as you want to be, and no longer have to bend your neck or contort your body to look at your laptop.

I added the bed risers because without them, you are too close to the screen. Total cost of this solution is around 150 dollars, plus an lcd monitor, which you might already have. I've looked at custom solutions for computer viewing in a bed, and they run over 1000 dollars. This isn't a very elegant solution but it works for someone on a low income.

If you want something nicer you can get a jlife authentic shiki futon imported from japan (amazon), but they cost 200. You would also need a larger desk, I have researched a candidate but don't remember off the top of my head. Whenever I move again I'm going to go with the more expensive option, because I would like more room.