1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The ePatient Revolution
Ryan Prior shares his experience and his thoughts from attending the Stanford Medicine X Conference as he contemplates the rising of the ePatient Revolution ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

How to take meds safely

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by Calathea, Apr 11, 2012.

1. xks201

xks201 Senior Member

haha I used to have a tackle box of supplements as well.
  2. Carol Blanton

Carol Blanton [banned as spam]

This is what we called, well organized person, the time is also included, I think you also put an alarm to your cellphone regarding with this stuff, am I right? In case you forgot the time and what to take, your cellphone will remind you.
  3. physicsstudent13

physicsstudent13 Senior Member

can taking these supplements cause significant problems like cancer or heart disease? high homocysteine seems to be associated with heart disease
    I feel that I might have a methylation problem after significant brain fog was cured by NAC and phosphitadyl choline. I think acne may be a sign that folate is low. but when I take sam-E I feel a bit nauseous sometimes, maybe it's only gastrointestinal
  4. Sparrow

Sparrow Senior Member

Canada
    I believe SAM-e can affect serotonin levels (at least in some people), which can definitely cause nausea. That's why some people use it for antidepressant effects, and why prescription antidepressants have nausea as a relatively common side effect.
    SOC likes this.
  5. physicsstudent13

raising serotonin can be dangerous to the heart and cause fibrosis, thickening of the walls. I felt really queasy/nauseous after taking vit D, choline, clomid (uro prescribed). so I took 3.6g of NAC and felt better after that like it neutralized the toxins. I'm still trying to get the settings on my bipap working.

I really don't know my liver levels after the 80/260 1 month post op are normal so should I stop the supplements? sam-E in a rat study was shown to help liver repair
  6. Calathea

Calathea Darkness therapy

Scotland
    The Anabox rainbow pill boxes are great. Sturdy, don't break if dropped, a different colour for each day, and a good size, holding five compartments each. The end one is for "as required" and works the other way with the sliding lid, so I use that for the tablets I take first thing in the morning, when my alarm goes off, I take my basal temperature, and then almost always go back to sleep.
    Valentijn likes this.
  7. physicsstudent13

does sam-E really help thinking, math ability? on one study it helped repair the liver over 6 months at 1200mg a day. I don't feel as passionate about life after the trach, lost my sense of taste too from bell's palsy
  8. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Oooh, those look perfect. Maybe I should retire my hardware box :p

EDIT: I've ordered one locally, so it's in Dutch. They come in lots of languages :) Also available in boring colors for those who don't want to become over-excited by the varied hues :D
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  9. Calathea

Calathea Darkness therapy

Scotland
    I'd never considered the risk of over-excitement. I mean, you could faint or something!

...doesn't everyone else find colour-coding really useful, then? Especially when you're on four-days-a-week meds or similar. We make up my meds boxes on Mondays, so I've set that to red, and I know which day I'm using by the colour. Very handy.
    Valentijn likes this.
  10. SOC

SOC Moderator and Senior Member

USA
    Appalling, isn't it, how many pills we take in a day? I'm pushing 60 (!!!) pills a day, 20+ of which are prescription meds, another 20+ are OTC products my docs recommend, and the remainder are other vitamins I take on my own -- multivitamins, calcium, magnesium, etc. It seems nuts, but if it keeps me functioning better, I'm going to do it.

My daughter joked, last time we were filling pill cases, that we should make a photo wall somewhere of ME/CFS patients' hands filled with one day's worth of pills. It would be a sort of message about what we have to take just to function, even minimally. Of course "certain people" (who shall remain nameless) would probably use it to claim we're a bunch of hypochondriacs because we couldn't possibly need all those pills. :rolleyes:

Part of my problem lately is the size of some of these darn pills. All my pills no longer fit in my 4 per day "big" case. I had to get 4 gigantic size 7-per-week cases. On the positive side, since it's not one case I distribute them to where I'm likely to be at the correct time of day -- morning and bedtime next to the bed, lunch in the kitchen, dinner next to my chair.
    Valentijn likes this.
  11. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Mine arrived today, and is even cooler than I thought. I love how the emptied box gets stuck in through the back, thereby pushing the next day to the front! ... I'm easily entertained :oops:

Each slot is big enough for 4 or 5 BIG pills, or quite a few more normal or small ones.

And it's so purdy! :redface:
    Calathea and SOC like this.
  12. healthystuff

healthystuff

USA
    Thanks for sharing :) I had a great time reading insightful information.

See more popular forum discussions.