1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Time Change Equals Jet Lag, ME/CFS Style
Jody Smith marvels at how much difference one hour can make to those with ME/CFS, as much of the world has endured The Time Change in recent weeks ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

How to supplement potassium ?

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by Marcus2013, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Marcus2013

Marcus2013

Dear all,

I have read that potassium is needed in big ammounts wether you try Fredd or Rich's protocol. I've read people that needs grams of potassium x day to keep the methylation working.

However, I've read that potassium supplementation is limited to 99g per pill because more can cause you stomach problems.

How should one supplement potassium then ? I've read elsewhere Fredd recommending to use 500mg potassium in a glass of water. Is this safe ?
  2. ggingues

ggingues $10 gift code at iHerb GAS343 of $40

Concord, NH
    It's probably "safe", will not kill you, but as you write, perhaps it could cause intestinal distress?

GG
  3. SickOfSickness

SickOfSickness Senior Member

US
    Bananas and coconut water. Lots on this forum use a few 99 mg at a time, or a lot.
    Marcus2013 likes this.
  4. Adster

Adster Senior Member

Australia
    I use Potassium Chloride as a salt substitute with meals, with a bit of normal salt too. Don't ever take this with water or on an empty stomach or without food though, it's really hard on the gut. Maybe the other potassium types are gentler. The salt is a convenient way to get it though.
    Marcus2013 likes this.
  5. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    I take slow release potassium which comes as 20 mEQ tablets which is equivalent to 1500 mg.

My doctor says that slow release potassium is the best way to raise potassium levels due to the feedback mechanism which causes potassium to be excreted in the urine if a large amount coming in at one time is sensed by the body. Potassium is tightly controlled by the body because too much is deadly as is too little.

I have to get monthly electrolyte labs while taking potassium to make sure my levels are good. I would not recommend taking high doses of potassium without planning to make routine labs a part of your life as well.

That said, having good potassium levels finally has eased my muscle pains and PMS. Totally worth it!

Ema
    Marcus2013 and Sasha like this.

See more popular forum discussions.