• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How to restore High prevotella and low bacteroides ?

daniariete2000

Hello ,

I'm a patiente of prof. De Meirleir and from his DNA stool test I have very high prevotella and very low bacteroides (almost zero). . He gave me a cycle of flagyl and rifaxamin but....

I know that flagyl very potent abx for anaerobic bacteria so I think could be something to kill prevotella but I also will kill all bacteroides that are the most of good anaerobic bacteria in the gut and it's impossible to grow them if they completely disappear.

So , very big problem

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Hi daniariete,

I had a massive overgrowth of Prevotella and xifaxin has eliminated it. I was tested again a year later and the Prevotella was gone. I didn't take flagyl though, as it is a tougher drug to handle. I had no side effects from xifaxin and felt much better after taking it.

Be sure to take plenty of the probiotics that will have been prescribed for you. Some take Saccharomyces Boulardii at the same time as they take the gut meds to help with the problem of depletion.

Best wishes, Sushi

cigana

HI Sushi,

May I ask what type of probiotics were prescribed for you? And were they enterically coated (seems that is what he was suggesting in that recent video of his)?

THanks.

Sushi

HI Sushi,

May I ask what type of probiotics were prescribed for you? And were they enterically coated (seems that is what he was suggesting in that recent video of his)?

THanks.

He was talking about enteric coated antibiotics I believe and trying to develop better coatings.

I am taking VSL-3 but others are prescribed other probiotics according to gut flora testing.

Sushi

Sushi

Thanks , but you haven't answered me about the bacteroides problem

I don't have any suggestions about this. Have you asked KDM what his thoughts were? I remember in the video he said that he only prescribed very short courses of flagyl--probably because of such concerns. You might ask him to switch you to another medication too.

Sushi