1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
California 2014: IACFS/ME Day Two: Translating Science into Clinical Care: 21 March 2014
Searcher kicks us off on Day Two, with an autoimmunity overview, then we are into immunology and cytokines, we hear from Susan Levine and the allergy-related signatures study done with Lipkin et. al, a talk about paravirus B-19, Mady Hornig from CFI with more research, John Chia who...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

How to restore High prevotella and low bacteroides ?

Discussion in 'The Gut: De Meirleir & Maes; H2S; Leaky Gut' started by daniariete2000, Jun 27, 2012.

1. daniariete2000

daniariete2000

Hello ,

I'm a patiente of prof. De Meirleir and from his DNA stool test I have very high prevotella and very low bacteroides (almost zero). . He gave me a cycle of flagyl and rifaxamin but....

I know that flagyl very potent abx for anaerobic bacteria so I think could be something to kill prevotella but I also will kill all bacteroides that are the most of good anaerobic bacteria in the gut and it's impossible to grow them if they completely disappear.

So , very big problem
  2. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Hi daniariete,

I had a massive overgrowth of Prevotella and xifaxin has eliminated it. I was tested again a year later and the Prevotella was gone. I didn't take flagyl though, as it is a tougher drug to handle. I had no side effects from xifaxin and felt much better after taking it.

Be sure to take plenty of the probiotics that will have been prescribed for you. Some take Saccharomyces Boulardii at the same time as they take the gut meds to help with the problem of depletion.

Best wishes, Sushi
  3. cigana

cigana Senior Member

UK
    HI Sushi,

May I ask what type of probiotics were prescribed for you? And were they enterically coated (seems that is what he was suggesting in that recent video of his)?

THanks.
  4. daniariete2000

daniariete2000

Thanks , but you haven't answered me about the bacteroides problem
  5. Sushi

Albuquerque
    He was talking about enteric coated antibiotics I believe and trying to develop better coatings.

I am taking VSL-3 but others are prescribed other probiotics according to gut flora testing.

Sushi
  6. Sushi

Albuquerque
    I don't have any suggestions about this. Have you asked KDM what his thoughts were? I remember in the video he said that he only prescribed very short courses of flagyl--probably because of such concerns. You might ask him to switch you to another medication too.

Sushi

See more popular forum discussions.