1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The Pathway to Prevention (P2P) for ME/CFS: A Dangerous Process
Gabby Klein gives an overview of the P2P process, shedding light on the pitfalls with advice as to what we can do in protest ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

how to pronounce 'xand'

Discussion in 'Media, Interviews, Blogs, Talks, Events about XMRV' started by Min, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Min

Min Senior Member

UK
    How do we pronounce xand please?

Is it

ex-and

sand

ksand

zzzand

zee-and

or something different?

thanks!

2. BEG

BEG Senior Member

Southeast US
    X can make the sound of z, so I would say "zand." Yes, final answer. Anyone else?

3. Min

Min Senior Member

UK
    Thank you, but is that how the Americans pronounced z as 'zee', or is it z as at the end of the word 'buzz'?

sorry to still be muddled

4. Frickly

Frickly Senior Member

Texas
    Min

Had to think about that one. The letter Z is pronounced Zee. When used in a word it is just a zzz sound as in zebra or zoo. The x is also pronounced with a zzz sound such as xylophone.:)

I think that xand sounds like zand.

Hope that made sense.

5. blackbird

blackbird caged.

UK
    I had to look up what it meant, but having seen that XAND are initials, I think saying each letter would be the best way.

6. Tree

Tree

northern Colorado
    I've gone back and forth between "ex-and" and "zand." Personally leaning toward "ex-and" at the moment.

Spelling out the letters, as in HIV, would be good, except that spelling out X-A-N-D seems cumbersome to me and doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. I kind of wish the new name was X-I-V. It would connote the seriousness of the disease, and be easier to pronounce. Everyone in media and society already has HIV down, so XIV would be easy for them to get, and to say. And since it's a retrovirus linked to immune deficiency, it makes sense: X-associated Immunodeficiency Virus.

As much as I love the new research and the prospect of us getting a new name, I wish that we could get an easy, understandable, non-confusing and serious name for this freaking illness. We've already had three decades of dealing with a terrible name, we don't need more confusion or difficulty, which I think XAND might present. But maybe all will go well with the new name. Hope so.

7. Min

Min Senior Member

UK
    thank you all

XIV would be much easier to say!

8. Tree

Tree

northern Colorado
    pardon my brain blip

I wasn't thinking straight (a common occurrence for me!) when I posted earlier about calling it XIV. That wouldn't make sense. XMRV is the retrovirus, as is HIV. What we're looking for, and what XAND would be, is a name that would describe the illness that results from the retrovirus, as AIDS is the result of HIV. I was all brain fogged and not thinking. Seems to me XAND is as good as anything, and at this point, just about anything is better than CFS.

9. lostinthedesert

lostinthedesert Killer, Clown, Priestess

I vote for EX-AND. Just my two cents.

See more popular forum discussions.