• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How to mesure immune activation ?

Frenchguy

Hi,

When i read ME studies, they speak about "immune activation" found in people with ME.

My question is how to mesure this immune activation ?

I have high CD8+ t cell, lowish CD4 with a CD4/CD8 ratio of 0,69.

I have very mild hypogammaglobulonemia with lowish IGG 1 and IGG 2,

My physician have tried prednisone 0,5mg/kilo, no response...
I will probably try rituximab soon, but maybe IviG is better in my case... i really don't know.

I don't want to take a drug with no reason, but my life is definitely not a life... i live in this state since january 2016 ...

Thanks

Wishful

I don't think there's a simple answer for that. I suppose that any elevated cytokine would count as 'immune activation'. The latest studies have shown that ME/CFS seems to involve only slight increases in some cytokines, but that we seem to be overly sensitive to that slight increase.

I tried several immunosuppressants. Prednisone had a temporary positive effect, but then stopped working. Cyclosporin had no effect, which I take to mean that immunosuppressants aren't a simple solution to ME/CFS. My own experiments convinced me that immunosuppressants aren't worth trying further.

Frenchguy

Hi Wishful,

Thanks for your response. As you, I think that cytokines it's the better measure of immune activation.

When you look lymphocyte panel is the forum, you can see that many people have abdormal results. For some, it's an elevated cd4/cd8 ratio, for others, it's an low ratio. I think that this test is a very good picture of your immune system.

I really think that doctors who prescribe this test don't know how to interprete it.

When you say "Doc, why my CD8 count is high ?". He say that it's normal ... Don't worry.
I guess doctors just have the knowledge to interpret this test in HIV people at the moment.

Wishful

Some doctors say things, such as test interpretations, without really understanding the issues. They might say whatever is fashionable at the time. They also might have only a partial understanding, such as how the results should be interpreted for patients with a specific disorder that you don't have. Other doctors just want to save time and tell you whatever saves the most time...unless they're being paid by the minute. My advice is to accept that doctors aren't perfect, and do your own research into theories, etc, if you're not completely convinced that the doctor is giving good advice. I have had doctors get quite angry when I didn't automatically accept their test interpretation or treatment, even though they were truly wrong.