• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How to manage Occipital Neuralgia (migraine), Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia

Crux

Thanks.

So chelatimg iron is the removal of iron via chelation therapy.

I just didn't see the mention of haemochromatosis.

In hemochromatosis, there usually isn't brain iron deposition, though sometimes there is.
Hemochromatosis can be effectively treated with phlebotomy.

With brain iron deposition, some iron chelating drugs have been used with varied success. They need to be able to cross the blood brain barrier,(BBB), to get into the central nervous system and brain.

For instance, deferroxamine, an iron chelator, doesn't cross the BBB very well, whereas deferiprone does. Even still, apparently it's very difficult to remove brain iron deposits. Then there are some side effects. With the release of iron, infection incidence is increased.

Fortunately, research on the treatment of brain iron deposition is active. Since Alzheimer's disease is a big expensive scare, and is associated with brain iron accumulation, I think we'll see more research and development in the field of brain iron chelation. I hope.

picante

Interestingly even though @picante has extremely low iron and ferritin she has the occipital issue.
After looking up the symptoms, I can see I don't have either condition (ON or ATN). My neck spasms/headaches are a consistent post-exertional symptom, and they are from my immune system ramping up and producing pro-inflammatory cytokines in the meninges, spinal cord, and/or brain. Everything I've tried has confirmed that hypothesis.

Jigsaw

Just a heads up. There is a supplement called Lithium Orotate

Clinical research has found lithium active in the following functions:

Protecting brain cells from toxicity
Promoting brain cell regeneration
Increasing gray matter of the brain
Regulating brain neurotransmitters
Supporting healthy mood balance
Improving blood sugar metabolism

Pretty powerful brain nutrient. Started on low dose. I am currently using 120mg capsules which is equivalent to 5 mg of elemental lithium. This will likely be part of my supplement regimen for a long time.

Here is a FAQ
http://www.thelithiumdoctor.com/faqs/

I was very sensitive to even the minute doses of methylb12 and methylfolate which caused anxiety, nervousness, neuralgia pain etc.

Because of the Lithium Orotate, I am able to take 3500mcg b12 and 400mcg mfolate. If you have MTHFR, you may likely be lithium deficient. It has helped quell my cortisone levels or at least that's what I believe. I will need to experiment for a while longer to give more complete feed back in a post. I can't tell in what way this will help you but something you may want to look into.

There is some minute evidence it protects against Alzheimers and they were giving the test subjects very low around 5mg doses. I'd like to see preventive effect at 40mg or 120mg. Probably would kick ass. I want to prevent dementia as I age.

Lithium aspartate will cause excitation so MTHFR people should probably avoid it.

@prioris

Hi, I get the same anxiety response to methylofolate, and have just found this:

https://www.everywomanover29.com/blog/anxiety-summit-methylfolate-anxiety/

I've already ordered some LO and am hoping it will sort out residual anxiety and allow me to start using MB12 and methylfolate again without the awful side-effects and crashes. I'm also taking Lugol's, and have managed to get up to 52.5mg/d, which I'm pleased about.

Re lithium and blood sugar - I've seen somewhere that lithium can cause increased blood sugar levels - do you have any experience of its effect on blood sugar?

prioris

@prioris

I'm also taking Lugol's, and have managed to get up to 52.5mg/d, which I'm pleased about.

Re lithium and blood sugar - I've seen somewhere that lithium can cause increased blood sugar levels - do you have any experience of its effect on blood sugar?

sorry, no experience on blood sugar.

In regard to taking iodine, here is a MUST read article

https://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/modern-diseases/the-great-iodine-debate/

Weston A Price organization and Mercola have come out against taking huge dosages. Proponents have said that one should be under medical supervision if one does take high doses. I agree with them. I wouldn't take more than around 1 mg a day max as a nutrient. The study which put japanese intake at 13.2 mg iodine is just plain wrong. It is closer to around 1 mg. I've dabbled in higher doses.

If I am detoxing something like bromine etc then I may go 3 months but I'd enlist a doctor who is familiar with it. Otherwise I will expect some results pretty quickly like within a month or so, Some people say you need very long term dosing for results. I say, if it takes that long, it means the iodine isn't hitting at the root of the problem but only nudging it at best so very inefficient. Another avenue to try is glandular extracts if it is organ related.

If someone gets pregnant, the iodine is critical to a baby's intelligence. higher iodine intake (not sure how much) in first 3 months would help build the central nervous system and probably increase the babies IQ intelligence by 20% or more. Lack of iodine is number one reason for retardation in this world. Heck, maybe selenium supplement would likely prevent autism.

Jigsaw

sorry, no experience on blood sugar.

In regard to taking iodine, here is a MUST read article

https://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/modern-diseases/the-great-iodine-debate/

Weston A Price organization and Mercola have come out against taking huge dosages. Proponents have said that one should be under medical supervision if one does take high doses. I agree with them. I wouldn't take more than around 1 mg a day max as a nutrient. The study which put japanese intake at 13.2 mg iodine is just plain wrong. It is closer to around 1 mg. I've dabbled in higher doses.

If I am detoxing something like bromine etc then I may go 3 months but I'd enlist a doctor who is familiar with it. Otherwise I will expect some results pretty quickly like within a month or so, Some people say you need very long term dosing for results. I say, if it takes that long, it means the iodine isn't hitting at the root of the problem but only nudging it at best so very inefficient. Another avenue to try is glandular extracts if it is organ related.

If someone gets pregnant, the iodine is critical to a baby's intelligence. higher iodine intake (not sure how much) in first 3 months would help build the central nervous system and probably increase the babies IQ intelligence by 20% or more. Lack of iodine is number one reason for retardation in this world. Heck, maybe selenium supplement would likely prevent autism.

Yeah, I've read Mercola and other anti-iodine stuff. Fact is, it was the Universal Medicine for over a hundred years, right up til when the pharmaceuticals released anti-biotics on the world in the early 50's. They took iodine out of flour at the same time, and replaced it with iodine-displacing bromide. Very effective way of ensuring an ongoing market for their drugs. Iodine was prescribed in anything from 2 to 6 minims, with one minim being 6.25mg. So the standard therapeutic dose then was anything from 12.5mg to 37.5mg.

Importantly, that was when no-one was iodine-deficient and bromide and fluoride weren't being thrown at everyone on a daily basis.

The iodine mega-doses are therapeutic and are only taken until repletion is achieved, they're not designed to take beyond repletion. Maintenance doses are much lower, though higher than the current RDA.

I've read enough case studies and reports to convince me that many of my health problems can be traced back to iodine deficiency induced by fluoride and bromide exposure, from my hypothyroidism and adrenal insuffuciency to my neuropathy, chemical sensitivities, systemic candida, IBS, breast cancer and CFS, etc., etc.

Everything got very much worse during and since chemo, and one of my chemo drugs was a fluoride. It's nearly ten years since I was in chemo and radiotherapy, and those ten years have seen me very much more ill than I was pre-cancer, pre-chemo, pre-radiotherapy, pre-multiple pharmaceuticals to keep me alive. My hydrocortisone went from 20mg/d to 160mg/d during chemo and radio, my T3 went from 20mcg to 100mcg. I managed to eventually get my hydro down to a *mere* 80-100mg, and have to carry both an epi pen and emergency hydro injections. I've never been able to reduce my T3.

For my part, having taken Lugol's for less than a month, I've been able to reduce both my hydrocortisone and my T3 in the last few days, exactly at the point where I reached 50mg. That's a huge deal for me. Even minute reductions of 2.5mg and 5mcg respectively usually floor me and make me extremely ill. I've almost unintentionally been able to reduce my hydro by 10mg (I kept getting to 6pm and realising I hadn't taken my last-of-the-day 3pm dose) and I've reduced my T3 by 10mcg because I haven't felt the need for it that I usually do. Iodine is working for me, as it has done for many other people.

I am also aware that it's the pharmaceutical companies who advise the government, who then advise the NHS and other countries' equivalents, about reference ranges and RDAs. Worse, an awful lot of politicians have shares in Big Pharma. And it isn't in Big Pharma's best interests, nor its share-holders, for any of us to be actually healthy and well. RDAs etc. are set for too low for optimum health. They need us to need their drugs. It's a business.

The RDA of 125mcg for iodine barely prevents goiter and anyway admits to only addressing the thyroid gland. Iodine is needed by every single cell, with some other primary storage sites like breasts, gut, pancreas, ovaries, prostate, other secreting organs, muscles and skin also needing and holding significant quantities of it if there's no deficiency. Boobs store around 10mg, thyroid stores 5mg, muscles store 32% of total, skin stores 20% (I'm still fact-finding the values of different storage sites, but those are the ones I can remember off the top of my head tonight.)

I can't recall the exact figure right now, but the total body store of iodine is in grams, not milligrams or micrograms. 125mcg doesn't even touch the sides.

We were all proved right about D3 a few years ago (RDA 400 IU a day when everyone in the northern hemisphere needs between 5,000 and 10,000 IU a day to stay well). I've done enough fact-finding to convince me that iodine is every bit as critical and fundamental to human health (actually, to ALL animals, not just humans) as D3 is.

I appreciate your point of view, and I see things differently :)

prioris

I just wanted to make sure you were aware of it and be careful. The important thing is that you are getting some positive results from it. I did stay away from a lot of bromide stuff decades back.

Jigsaw

@prioris

Thanks, I appreciate that. It's kind of you :)

See below, posted earlier yesterday by me:

@aquariusgirl and anyone else hitting problems with iodine. You are likely to be experiencing the detoxification of bromide and fluoride, both if which push iodine out of the way and compete for the same receptors.

You need to start at the lowest dose you can get in the Lugol's solution - I found the Heiltropfen 2%, which is 2.5mg per drop, a good starting point.

It is recommended to take the following companion nutrients:
100mg B2 twice a day
500mg B3 twice a day
C.600mg magnesium citrate/glycinate (just avoid mag oxide) a day, in divided doses
200mcg selenium or selenomethionine a day
As much Vit C as you can tolerate, in divided doses and at least an hour away from iodine.

Also, everyone taking iodine (and therefore dislodging bromide) needs to do the salt protocol, too.

This is the use of sea-salt/pink Himalayan salt/ any unrefined salt in water and on food. You take 1/4 tsp in 8oz water first thing, and drink lots of water immediately after taking the salt water. This reduces any potential stress on the kidneys because you will have reduced the concentration of salt.

You can use 1/2 tsp if detox symptoms, which look and feel very similar to hypo-t, hypo-adrenals, chemical sensitivities, etc, are particularly bad.

Repeat throughout the day as necessary, try to stay under a total of 1.5 teaspoons a day,mwhich is approx 2.3g.

The salt thing really, really helps.

For those in the UK, you can get a huge 450g grinder of pink Himalayan salt from £stretcher for £1.99. I grind mine into a lidded pot, keep my 1/4 tsp measure in a beaker, also lidded, and spoon in whatever I need whenever I need it.

Once you get over the initial shifting of bromide (it's used in a great many household products, foods and drinks, the latter more prevalent in the States, where bread and Mountain Dew are two prime offenders, and as a fire retardant in soft furnishings like sofas and mattresses), you'll find you can titrate up quite rapidly.

If you hit really big problems, stop the iodine for two days (pulsing), but keep taking the salt water and the companion nutrients. Resume at the same dose after those 2 days, and if it's still too bad, back off for another 2 days and resume at a lower dose.

The initial impact of even one drop of Lugol's can be profound, so take it slowly and build up gradually.

My first couple of weeks were a bit of a struggle, but the salt helped enormously, and once that bit was over, I went from 2.5mg to a current dose of 52.5mg.

You'll know when the bromide is being excreted because your sweat will smell different and your pee will stink :)
This is a good thing.

Some people take longer than others to detox bromide and get iodine levels up to normal in all tissues, but Brownstein reckons 6 months at 50mg a day should do it. After repletion, you only need a maintenance dose.

If you're dealing with a specific illness, like cancer, or "any chronic or severe illness", then 100mg or even higher is recommended. It's especially recommended for prostate and breast cancer.

If you look online for a free PDF of Lynne Farrow's "The Iodine Crisis", there's a lot of info about iodine repletion and repletion in there, and it gives a good explanation of why iodine went from being the Universal Medicine to being deemed toxic, courtesy the Wolff-Chaikoff paper and the advent of Big Pharma's new antibiotics in the late 40's/early 50's.

That Weston price article was 99% positive about iodine, and cites far higher doses than I was aware of before.

I saw some on CureZone late night that were in grams rather than milligrams, too. In fact, I've now seen several sources that cite the old c.1930's treatment dose range as being 1-3 grams, which is new information to me and knocks the 2-6 minims I cited out of the park.

I also saw several users on CureZone reporting daily 500mg doses, and experiencing a very "clean, clear, calm" energy, plus countless other health benefits on the "Half Gram Club" dose.

These very, very large doses seem effective for some, though I'd need more investigation and fact-finding before I could be comfortable with more than c.100mg/d, particularly if it was for prolonged use. I'm going to read through more CureZone posts about 500mg plus doses today.

I definitely can't agree with Gaby's arguments, and his claim of the Japanese iodine intake figures being skewed by the use of wet seaweed was roundly refuted by Brownstein and Abraham further down the article, where they state that they got their figures from the Japanese Health Authority, who never use wet-weight and only used dry-weight in the 12.5-13mg iodine figure.

I habitually read as many user reviews of any supplement that I'm curious about. That's generally my starting-point once my interest has been piqued, after which I look for scientific evidence to explain the responses users report. The supplement industry is as much a profit-making machine as the pharmaceutical industry, and can be equally guilty of mis-information, manipulative marketing, etc., so I take all of their information with a fistful of salt. I find personal accounts far more honest.

Whilst many of the "research" papers produced by and for the anti-natural medicine brigade are funded by the pharmaceutical industry, showing clear bias and sometimes blatant terminological inexactitudes (read Ben Goldacre's "Bad Pharma" for more on this), I believe the supplement industry is equally guilty of exaggeration, misinformation, scare-mongering, etc. (read Ben Goldacre's "Bad Medicine" for more on this).

The only meaningful difference I can discern between Big Pharma and the supplement industry is that the former benefits from their products sustaining ill-health, and the latter benefits from their products restoring and sustaining good health. Once users find particular supplements that work for them, they become repeat-business customers. Both industries are profit-making businesses.

The tendency amongst natural health proponents is to blindly believe whatever the natural health industry touts as The Truth, and I find this as unintelligent as trusting Big Pharma's safety and efficacy claims.

It astounds me that health supplements are obliged to prove 25% efficacy before they can be licenced, whilst pharmaceuticals are only required to prove 3% effectiveness. Tamoxifen, the massively damaging but widely prescribed drug given as adjuvant therapy for oestrogen breast cancer, is only 3% effective.

Tamoxifen also blocks the pathway that keeps eyes healthy and ree from cataracts, and directs oestrogen to the uterus as it blocks it from being deposited in breast tissue. Uterine cancer caused by Tamoxifen use is more virulent and far harder to treat than uterine cancer that has developed sans Tamoxifen.

At 3% effectiveness, that means 97% of women given this drug in any one year won't get any positive benefits from it at all. I find that incredible. I wouldn't have believed it had it not been for my oncologist telling me it was fine for me to stop taking Tamoxifen after less than 2 weeks because, quelle surpris, I'd responded very badly to it, and that what made it ok to stop was that it was "only 3% effective". I even double-checked that his definition of effectiveness matched mine, thinking I must have misunderstood along the way. I hadn't. My chemo was 5% effective, meaning when they gave it to me, with full knowledge of my chemical hyper-sensitivities, there was a 95% chance that it wouldn't have any impact on my cancer. Unbelievable.

My point being that they force far more stringent tests on natural medicine products than they do on pharmaceuticals before allowing them on the market. But then I guess that more MPs are pharmaceutical shareholders than nutraceutical shareholders, so the anomaly shouldn't come as a surprise, really.

I looked at your profile page last night and I see we have a couple of things in common. We are of similar age and the onset of my CFS/ME and fibromyalgia also came before the age of 5, at around age 3, following Scarlet Fever, the deliberate ingestion of a whole prescription tub of my Mother's iron tablets when I was 6 months old (I remember being unable to get the top off the dark-red cardboard container they were in, and sucking the cardboard until I could get to the tablets), plus some traumatic events at the hands of one of my parents' friends. I've been dealing with CFS/ME and fibro for 52 years, so you have 3 years on me :)

I HAVE to be careful, because I am ridiculously hyper-sensitive to a huge array of substances that Normals take in their stride. I am reknowned at my GP surgery for being "atypical" in my response to meds.

My sensitivities can be so specific as to cause massive facial oedema and all the attendant signs and symptoms of my typical toxicity response (too many to list all here) simply from being given a different brand of the same format of the same painkiller, antibiotic or other drug, or a different format of the same brand of the same drug.

The only upsides are that a) it now gets me out of being prescribed the majority of "dirty", toxic, drugs like amitriptaline, gabapentin, pregabalin, etc. and b) it's the one time when I look like I've had collagen injections in my lips and I get to sport a Trout Pout :lol:

Back to iodine. The fact that 52% of the body's iodine stores are in the skin and muscles is one of the things that makes me think iodine deficiency may be connected to the cause of the myalgia part of fibromyalgia. I don't know about you, Prioris, but I feel like I've been regularly beaten with a sledgehammer. Post-chemo, showering became unbearable. The pressure of the water hitting my skin hurts, and I can't bear hot water as I used to, it has to be luke-warm and even then it isn't comfortable.

If someone pats me on the back in greeting, as people are wont to do, it hurts. My thighs, the site for my all-too frequently needed Imigran injections, is so painful now that the injections make me cry in pain. Trying to find one tiny area that hurts less than the rest is extremely painful. I'm hoping that when I reach the right dose of Lugol's, all that will ease, improve, and or completely resolve. It would be nice to have normal muscles and skin again. I did so enjoy a good, hot, power-shower before all this escalated after chemo.

I will, of course, let you (and everyone else here) know. That's the beauty of this forum, the ability to share both knowledge and lessons learned.

Best wishes,
J

Last edited:

Jigsaw

@prioris

Here's Gaby's original editorial on iodine:
http://www.townsendletter.com/AugSept2005/gabyiodine0805.htm

Here's Brownstein and Abraham's rebuttal to Gaby's article:
http://www.townsendletter.com/Oct2005/gabyrebuttal1005.htm

Here's Gaby's rebuttal to Brownstein and Abraham's rebuttal of his article:
http://www.townsendletter.com/Nov2005/gabyresponse1105.htm

Here's Brownstein and Abraham's 2nd rebuttal of Gaby's rebuttal:
http://www.townsendletter.com/April2006/iodine0406.htm

I haven't found a 2nd rebuttal from Gaby.

Other pertinent reading:

Iodine In Medicine And Pharmacy Since Its Discovery In 1861, by Francis C Kelly, BSc PhD FRIC (London), Vol 54, Oct 1961, Royal Society Of Medicine, Library Research Section:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1869599/pdf/procrsmed00240-0023.pdf

Lynne Farrow's The Iodine Crisis book, with many personal accounts of iodine therapy with Lugol's:
http://alaalsayid.com/ebooks/The_Iodine_Crisis.pdf

Stephanie Buist's Iodine Supplementation handout (16pp):
http://www.curezone.org/upload/PDF/zlatin/The_Guide_to_Supplementing_with_Iodine.pdf

2nd version of the above, slightly longer (23pp) - http://steppingstonesliving.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Guide-to-Supplementing-2015-Rev2a.pdf

Last edited:

prioris

I know the article was very positive about iodine. It's main focus was answering the question of - how much iodine should an average person get in their diet. They took issue with a study done a while back that said Japanese average 13.2 mg. That figure has been bantied around for a long time without rebuttal. When they looked further into the issue they realized the conclusions of that amount were flawed. Further studies confirmed that the average diet ranges from I think 0.6 mg to 1.9 mg at most. So that's the main point. That's what Mercola also focused on too. I think that is reasonable. Nobody should plunge into high doses unless there are therapeutic purposes and safety.

High doses of vitamin D can be work to bring low levels up but one should be able to drop down to reasonable level at some point. If one has to maintain high dosages of vitamin D then looking for more deeper causes should probably be done.

The iodine intake above is separate issue from the therapeutic use of it for curing things. Even Brownstein said that people taking high doses of iodine should do it with a doctor who has experience with such things. It's all about doing it safely and protecting oneself. Since I am a DIY person, I may feel comfortable enough doing something at high doses for a month but I would seek out an experienced doctor if I went way longer. We ultimately must weight the risk vs benefits.

Jigsaw

I know the article was very positive about iodine. It's main focus was answering the question of - how much iodine should an average person get in their diet. They took issue with a study done a while back that said Japanese average 13.2 mg. That figure has been bantied around for a long time without rebuttal. When they looked further into the issue they realized the conclusions of that amount were flawed. Further studies confirmed that the average diet ranges from I think 0.6 mg to 1.9 mg at most. So that's the main point. That's what Mercola also focused on too. I think that is reasonable. Nobody should plunge into high doses unless there are therapeutic purposes and safety.

High doses of vitamin D can be work to bring low levels up but one should be able to drop down to reasonable level at some point. If one has to maintain high dosages of vitamin D then looking for more deeper causes should probably be done.

The iodine intake above is separate issue from the therapeutic use of it for curing things. Even Brownstein said that people taking high doses of iodine should do it with a doctor who has experience with such things. It's all about doing it safely and protecting oneself. Since I am a DIY person, I may feel comfortable enough doing something at high doses for a month but I would seek out an experienced doctor if I went way longer. We ultimately must weight the risk vs benefits.

Did you not read the rebuttal in regards to the Japanese iodine intake issue, then? Gaby's argument was flawed, not Brownstein and Abraham's information, which came from the Japanese Health Authority, who used dried seaweed as the basis for their figures, and not wet seaweed as Gaby stated.

Please define a "reasonable level" of D3. I maintain my D3 at between 100 and 200 nmol/l, which js the optimal range.

prioris

As far as D3 levels, I have no strong opinion about what levels are correct. I look at it from a practical level. I have taken 10,000 IU for a month with no impact some years back and nothing changed. Maybe if I had taken it one more month, I'd turn into superman but we will never know. I experiment with higher dosage and didn't feel better in any way. It's an empirical evaluation and if it works for someone then good so keep taking high doses. There is no right or wrong dose. It's whatever works for the individual.

I studied some of those links
In a phone interview with Guy E. Abraham, M.D., on June 21, 2005, using Miss Hisa Izumi as an interpreter, the interviewees Miss Nichi and Mister Arai at the Japanese Ministry of Health and Welfare confirm that, in the nutritional surveys published in 1965, the average daily amount of seaweed consumed is expressed as gms of dried seaweed.
One can see that iodine intake was even higher during the years 1954, 1956, 1958 and 1960. The mean value for the 8 amounts of seaweed displayed in Table II is 4.5 gm and at 0.3% iodide, this average daily amount would contain 13.5 mg iodide. During that phone interview (6/21/05), Miss Nichi and Mr. Arai stated that the last survey for which statistics are available was for the year 2001 (Heisei 14), with an average daily intake of 14.6 gm of seaweeds (dry weight). Obviously, the consumption of seaweed by mainland Japanese has increased significantly over the past 40 years. The exact amount of iodine consumed in 2001 would depend on the concentrations of iodine in the seaweeds involved. Since the surveys performed by this organization do not report the amount of elemental iodine and only tabulate the sum of all seaweeds consumed per capita per day for 2001, it is not possible at this time to calculate exactly the true daily iodine intake by mainland Japanese in 2001. If the concentrations of iodine in seaweeds during the year 2001 remain the same as in the 1960s, the average daily amount of iodine consumed by mainland Japanese in 2001 would be: 3 mg iodine/gm x 14.6 gm = 43.8 mg.

Good information. I will study that further. Good that you brought this to my attention.

The first indication of iodine impact would be on IQ of children. The only derived IQ data I can find shows that area around japan having highest IQ rates. Not sure how valid they are but could be even higher. The most critical time for a baby to have iodine is within the first 3 months within the womb.

prioris

There are 2 posts about iodine on Paul Jaminet's Perfect Health Diet blog arguing for high dose supplementation. However, in the comments, Jaminet says that taking 50mg of iodine daily for a couple of months + a bunch of selenium damaged his thyroid.
http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2011/05/iodine-and-hashimotos-thyroiditis-part-i/
http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2011/05/iodine-and-hashimotos-thyroiditis-part-2/

There are people who can take enormous amount of fat soluble vitamin A with no ill effect. There are other people who will overdose if they take too much. I won't ever say how much fat soluble vitamin A one should take but just tread carefully. We just do the best we can in finding what works for each of us. It's as simple as that.

Violeta

At one time, anything that increased nitric oxide was a trigger : microbes, lactic acid bacteria, etc.

If anyone is still trying to relieve symptoms possibly brought on by nitric oxide, bacopa is good for that.

https://www.researchgate.net/profil...ulwa-cear)/links/543b8f090cf24a6ddb977cbe.pdf

And here's an article about bacopa and NMDA. Does anyone know if it has the right type of action to be helpful for occipital neuralgia?

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/ecam/2015/535013/

Crux

And here's an article about bacopa and NMDA. Does anyone know if it has the right type of action to be helpful for occipital neuralgia?

I didn't find anything specific to bacopa's effects for migraine, but since it's active against neurodegeneration in general, and it inhibits nitric oxide synthase, it may help.

I did come across a good article about andrographis paniculata, which looks to be effective against migraine in animal models :

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4819820/

As an aside ; after having to read so much about animal models as used above.... I sincerely hope that in the future, better ways of testing will be developed. I wonder if 3-D printing will be able to form a type of human model better suited for this.

Jigsaw

As far as D3 levels, I have no strong opinion about what levels are correct. I look at it from a practical level. I have taken 10,000 IU for a month with no impact some years back and nothing changed. Maybe if I had taken it one more month, I'd turn into superman but we will never know. I experiment with higher dosage and didn't feel better in any way. It's an empirical evaluation and if it works for someone then good so keep taking high doses. There is no right or wrong dose. It's whatever works for the individual.

I studied some of those links
In a phone interview with Guy E. Abraham, M.D., on June 21, 2005, using Miss Hisa Izumi as an interpreter, the interviewees Miss Nichi and Mister Arai at the Japanese Ministry of Health and Welfare confirm that, in the nutritional surveys published in 1965, the average daily amount of seaweed consumed is expressed as gms of dried seaweed.
One can see that iodine intake was even higher during the years 1954, 1956, 1958 and 1960. The mean value for the 8 amounts of seaweed displayed in Table II is 4.5 gm and at 0.3% iodide, this average daily amount would contain 13.5 mg iodide. During that phone interview (6/21/05), Miss Nichi and Mr. Arai stated that the last survey for which statistics are available was for the year 2001 (Heisei 14), with an average daily intake of 14.6 gm of seaweeds (dry weight). Obviously, the consumption of seaweed by mainland Japanese has increased significantly over the past 40 years. The exact amount of iodine consumed in 2001 would depend on the concentrations of iodine in the seaweeds involved. Since the surveys performed by this organization do not report the amount of elemental iodine and only tabulate the sum of all seaweeds consumed per capita per day for 2001, it is not possible at this time to calculate exactly the true daily iodine intake by mainland Japanese in 2001. If the concentrations of iodine in seaweeds during the year 2001 remain the same as in the 1960s, the average daily amount of iodine consumed by mainland Japanese in 2001 would be: 3 mg iodine/gm x 14.6 gm = 43.8 mg.

Good information. I will study that further. Good that you brought this to my attention.

The first indication of iodine impact would be on IQ of children. The only derived IQ data I can find shows that area around japan having highest IQ rates. Not sure how valid they are but could be even higher. The most critical time for a baby to have iodine is within the first 3 months within the womb.
There was a Chinese study about IQ and its relationship to iodine, I think....I'll see if I can find a link.

D3- my loading dose was 80K IU/d for 6 weeks, at which point I tested at 75nmol/l. Unless you were already very close to Sufficiency, 10K /d will barely have touched the sides, I imagine :) I seem to remember that the Stott dose foe deficient children (a single, one-off dose to correct deficiency) was somewhere in the region of something quite enormous like 600,000IU. I mat have recalled that incorrectly. I'll check.

I remember also that an afternoon on a sunny beach will deliver in the region of 300,000IU.

If I think I'm about to be felled by a bug, or get an eye infection (those seem to have stopped on the iodine), I take 150,000IU /d for 3 days. That was the recommendation that the Vitamin D Council used to make. They lowered it to just 50K in summer 2013.

Also, the 25OH D3 that shows in blood tests has to be converted into calcitriol. Conversion requires iodine. If you're iodine deficient, you will show high looking levels of the 25 hydroxy form, but will not be converting into the active calcitriol, so you can still be deficient at a cellular level.

Last edited:

Jigsaw

There are 2 posts about iodine on Paul Jaminet's Perfect Health Diet blog arguing for high dose supplementation. However, in the comments, Jaminet says that taking 50mg of iodine daily for a couple of months + a bunch of selenium damaged his thyroid.
http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2011/05/iodine-and-hashimotos-thyroiditis-part-i/
http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2011/05/iodine-and-hashimotos-thyroiditis-part-2/
As @prioris and my signature says, apply your research in the context of knowing your own body :)

Jigsaw

Sorry, I can't remember if it has been mentioned earlier here in this thread, but sodium bicarbonate destroys riboflavin.
Does it? Bummer! I've been taking bicarb the last couple of days for painful trapped wind (my own fault, took too much potassium chloride on an empty stomach and hurt it. Trapped wind is the after-effect of that).

I'd best up my FMN, then!

Thanks for that :)