• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How to inhibit methylation?

joejack102

What are the best ways to inhibit methylation? I am severely over-methylating after excessive use of Choline Bitartrate and perhaps several other things, and I need something to significantly slow down methylation. The only thing I’ve heard of as a possibility is Niacin (B3), but is there anything else? What is the most effective?

Things that work for me when I'm dealing with hypermethylation:
*Niacin
*Potassium
*Magnesium
*Small amounts of B6
*Turmeric or curcumin
*Glutathione

Niacin by itself probably won't stop your symptoms. I notice when I take some potassium and B6 along with the niacin, I immediately feel a lot of unwanted heat leaving my body. Good luck!

joejack102

Thanks for your suggestions and your reply, Carnation.

Ever since I used too much Choline long time ago, B vitamins seem to give me toxicity. I had very bad toxicity, neuropathy, headaches, and extreme anger issues after using p-5-p, a version of Vitamin B6. Also, potassium doesn’t seem to help me either.

I’m just confused, because I have all the symptoms of chronic overmetnylation to my knowledge. When I was a kid and before Choline usage, I was severely sensitive to the effects of medicines and had severe seasonal allergies, and now I don’t have any seasonal allergies (seems like low histamine) and medications no longer even work. Not to mention extreme fatigue.

Are you sure you were overmethylating when the B6 helped you? Or perhaps I’m not overmethylating but perhaps the Choline did something else to me of another cycle like the Folate cycle, the urea cycle, something else. ALL of my problems started directly as the result of Choline usage in excess.

I appreciate all the help I can get guys. Thanks for your replies!!!

joejack102

To give more background: When I was a young teenager I was extremely sensitive to the effects of herbs/meds/supplements. After using excessive Choline supplements in 2009, my sensitivities disappeared, and now I can't get them back! Currently, all meds, supplements, and herbs no longer have any positive effects and don't work anymore. Also, the excessive Choline usage from 2009 left me severely fatigued all the time with little to no energy and has taken a major toll on my health. I need to reverse whatever the Choline did, and it seems methylation is somehow related, either directly or indirectly. Choline obviously balances with something else in the body, and I need to find what that "something else" actually is.

There are a lot of folks more knowledgeable than me on this board so maybe they will have some answers.

But I can say that, yes, I was definitely overmethylating when the B6 helped me. The list I gave you contains pretty standard supplements for overmethylation. To answer your question, yes, every instance of my overmethylation can be traced back to some form of methyl donor I consumed - food or supplement.

I have been taking a fair amount of Citicoline to help my memory. Choline supplements are methyl donors and can spark ovremethylation which also creates inflammation. When I first started taking choline supplements they made me really sleepy and fatigued. My research tells me this fatigue meant brain cells were being repaired.

Maybe the fatigue you mention is inflammation based but this is beyond my limited knowledge base...

joejack102

Carnation, THANK YOU so much for your help. I am very desperate and it’s an overmethylation emergency at this point because I feel extremely bad and have gotten worse week-by-week for months. I will really give the B6 another attempt. Your reply sounds like exactly what I’m going through. I am convinced that I am overmethylating. So I need to try Pyridoxine correct? Perhaps the reason I reacted so poorly is that I was mostly using the form called p-5-p which is what gave me all those side effects.

joejack102

Carnation, since I'm severely over methylating... Is it dangerous to have just taken one tablet with 100mg of B6 (Pyridoxine)? Walgreens was the only supplement store still open nearby, and the lowest dose available was that. It says it's 5,000% of the RDA. Are you sensitive to B6 or are you able to handle that much?

Eastman

@joejack102

Vitamin B3 is usually what is recommended for excess methyl groups.

I have not heard of vitamin B6 helping directly with overmethylation. That is not to say that it cannot help, but it is probably for some specific issue with those individuals who are helped by it.

With your bad experiences previously with p5p, I have serious doubts that B6 will be helpful this time around. But of course, there is always the possility that this time will be different.

Also, in case you are not aware, several people on this forum have reported problems with B1/thiamine deficiency after taking methylation supplements, eg here. If you haven't already, you might want to check for B1 deficiency symptoms. Dr Derrick Lonsdale thinks that thiamine deficiency may be a cause of dysautonomia.

JoeJack102 - that is a huge amount of B6. I hope you are OK after taking that much!

Most days I take about 25mg of p5p If I'm dealing with overmethylation, I'm usually only starting with half that. Buy a pill splitter and cut pills in halfs or quarters. You can also crush them up and just take some of the powder. Safety first!

joejack102

This was a HUGE, HUGE mistake! First of all, there are some articles that list B6 as helpful for people who are UNDER-methylating, not over. So, I do not feel this was good advice. I’m sorry. That was the smallest amount that Nature’s Made sold at Walgreens, and I’m furious at the manufacturer after already having such a bad reaction already. The brand is Nature’s Made, and I couldn’t break the tablet in two because the darn thing was so small. What human being on earth needs 5,000% the RDA of B6? There is no medical literature to suggest this dosing is appropriate or safe. Nature’s Made have some explaining to do...

I may be close to an answer though. Since Choline Bitartrate is what caused me to switch for under-methylating to over-methylating, I currently believe that DMAE Bitartrate will reverse this. DMAE is a Choline molecule with one less methyl group.

Any input? How have you all responded to DMAE?

joejack102

I'm sorry Carnation. I hope I didn't come across wrong. I panicked, because I was having adverse reactions. I was upset at the manufacturer.

Peyt

@joejack102
I realize this is an old thread but I am curious as to how you are doing? Were you able to inhibit methylation using any
supplements?
Also, Choline is actually mentioned as a supplement that is used to inhibit over methylation, so I am a bit confused.
Here is a link that has a list of supplements for excess methylation and Choline is one of them:
https://www.digitalnaturopath.com/conditions/methylation-excess/