Phoenix Rising supports the Millions Missing global day of protest
Phoenix Rising is delighted to support the demands being made in the ME/CFS community’s first-ever global day of protest …
Discuss the article on the Forums.

How to handle parties/social events when you HAVE to go

Discussion in 'Post-Exertional Malaise, Fatigue, and Crashes' started by hamsterman, May 24, 2016.

1. Mel9

Mel9 Senior Member

NSW Australia

Works for me too. I was prescribed dexamethasone for Herheimer reactions while taking antibiotics for Borrelia infection. A few times since I was forced to participate in social occasions for work and felt severe PEM coming in. I discovered that four 0.5mg dexamethasone tablets completely prevented the PEM.

actup likes this.
  2. Mel9

Mel9 Senior Member

NSW Australia

3. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Very interesting, @hamsterman.

I have now just added prednisone to my list of PEM Busters in this post.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
    Mel9 likes this.
  4. hamsterman

hamsterman Senior Member

Los Angeles
    Good to see Im not the only one here. Corticosteroids almost feel like cheating... something that is too good to be true, and you will be doing long-term damage by using them. But using them very carefully and occasoinally, at very strategic times.... there seems like there is no payback, no tolerance building, and no need for tapering.

But when I get careless about it.... it can be terrible. For example, I once used them for Disneyland... I took Prednisone at 9:00am and felt great... but by the late afternoon, when I shoulda wound down... I kept going... and went into a severe PEM lasting almost a week.

Mel9, actup and TiredSam like this.
  5. hamsterman

hamsterman Senior Member

Los Angeles
    Glad to contribute, and your list is very helpful. But can you put a warning next to Prednisone. Its in a very different class than your other PEM busters. I've experimented with Prednisone quite a bit over the years (especially in the last 5 months).... and it can be a life-saver... but can also be dangerous if used improperly. Make sure to note that it should never be taken regularly, or for any extended period of time.... honestly... 2 days in a row MAX... but 1 day is better. I would also suggest no more than 4 times a month (just from my experience... it could be more). Its very important that no tolerance is built up, and that your adrenals have no time to adjust. Also, smaller doses dont work. Also, its PEM protective properties don't seem to work through the entire day.... I've noticed they seem to drop off after about 6-8 hours... and even though you may still feel very alert and sociable... your really running on fumes... which can cause major PEM afterwards (as I've noted on my previous post)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
    Mel9, rosie26, actup and 1 other person like this.
  6. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Good idea, I have now done so.

In this post in another thread, @ukxmrv said that 10 to 20 mg of prednisone works for him, so perhaps the effective dose for PEM prevention may vary from person to person?

Could you explain what you mean here. You said you used prednisone rather than prednisolone.

7. rosie26

rosie26 Senior Member

I had the opposite effect. There was nothing good about prednisone for me. Prednisone had me wanting to take my life. Definitely not for me. Not helpful, quite dangerous and I only took 5mg 1x.

Mel9 likes this.
  8. Fritz18

Fritz18

I try to go early and leave early. I usually stay close to my wife so she can do most of the talking (my voice starts to fade if I talk for too long) and when I do say things, I try to ask open questions so other can do the talking. If we have to go out for dinner with another couple, I try make sure we go to a quiet place.

TiredSam and Mel9 like this.
  9. hamsterman

hamsterman Senior Member

Los Angeles
    What I meant by small doses was the smaller maintenance type doses, usually around 5mgs. I tried everything from 5-20mgs, and it didnt work for me. But I am pretty large in stature, so maybe thats on the high end.

Scratch the 'prednisolone' comment. Although my GI doctor prefers prednisolone, I just asked my brother whos a pharmacist, and he said their basically identical... ones just a precursor of the other.

Mel9 and Hip like this.

See more popular forum discussions.