1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Knitting Equals Pleasure, Despite ME/CFS
Jody Smith loves knitting. Again. She thought her days of knitting and purling were long over but ... she's back ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

How to get the treatments you need on Medicare: change Advantage/Medigap carriers

Discussion in 'Finances, Work, and Disability' started by WillowJ, Nov 20, 2012.

1. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    it's open enrollment at Medicare (Oct 15 - Dec 7).

I was just told by my state volunteer organization that decisions about what to cover on Medicare Advantage plans (at least as far as drugs/Part D go, not sure about tests and procedures) are made by the carriers; there is no central Medicare authority which tells what is and isn't covered.

So if you are getting "not covered for CFS" denials (I have heard complaints about this), consider changing plans. There are carriers that do cover, for example, famciclovir for CFS. (I'm saying CFS because that's what the provider has to code and bill it under.)

Some of the Medicare Advantage plans are relatively low cost. They reduce the patient share of costs. Some even remove the "doughnut hole", but those have a higher monthly rate.

You can use the tools at medicare.gov or look at your state insurance commissioner's page for a volunteer organization which will provide you with information.
  2. Vincent

Vincent Senior Member

Baltimore, Maryland USA
    I had coinsurance at one point but it was 200 dollars per month and I eventually dropped it. About a year and a half later I tried to sign up for a coinsurance plan but was denied. My understanding was that you couldn't be denied during the open enrollment period, but that you would have to pay a percentage per month penalty for each month you did not have coinsurance.

I tried to find more information online and have tried to find a case manager to help me but they never return my phone call.
  3. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
  4. Shoesies

Shoesies Senior Member

My flipping medicare denies everything and so does my primary provider PHCS. It sucks.
  5. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Yeah, for treatments, I think "Medicare Central" has policies about what it will and won't pay for (including labs), but each Part D (meds) has its own choice of (inexpensive) meds. They routinely deny the more specific (expensive meds) I am prescribed, but I did find one that covered a pretty expensive one I take routinely, so I used open enrollment to switch to that company, just for that one med!

Sushi

See more popular forum discussions.