• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How to get good bacteria to stay?

Johnmac

One thing I've noticed with kombucha, kefir & any probiotic is that once you stop taking them, the effect finishes.

I found some science on this here, and it's apparently true: exogenous bacteria don't colonise the human gut. They'll hang around and do good for as long as you take them, but that's it.

So I wonder if there is some way of getting exogenous bacteria to colonise the gut - i.e. stay there?

(Weak character that I am, I can't overcome the gross-out factor with fecal transfer, assuming that works.)

This is important IMO as those good bacteria do a million good things down there, including assist B12 absorption, & reduce leaky gut. And I'm not sure I want to have to depend on supplementing probiotics every day for the rest of my life.

ahmo

Resistant Starch (RS) seems to be the key to promoting long-term growth of probies. Here's a thread that summarizes it pretty well. There's another very long thread, Resistant Starch Challenge, if you want to go more deeply into it.

I'm unable to use any of the food starches, and was thrilled to learn about larch bark, LAG. You'll see my response on the thread. I can't qualify what it's doing for me, but my sense is that it's positive.

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...efits-adverse-effects-only.30935/#post-475156