• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How to find 23andMe results

Hi,

Does anyone know if the 23andMe test shows the SHMT1 results? I ask because I have seen a number of people post their results and I think they lacked the SHMT1 if they did 23andMe. Meanwhile Yasko does check SHMT. I have sent my test into 23andMe's lab but I don't have the results, but I have access to the demo Mendel's families genetic test. If you go to the gearbox and go to "browse raw data" and type in rs1979277 the SHMT actually does show up. But on the demo for some reason it only shows the parents results. If you have done the 23andMe test you can check this for yourself. I will upload what I see if there's any confusion.

Attachments

• shmt.png
    shmt.png
    42.9 KB · Views: 18

Lotus97

It would be good if everyone could post their SHMT and MTHFS (not MTHFR) in this thread so we can figure out what's going on with folinic acid. (This is from Nandixon)
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...d-intolerance-request-for-genetic-data.19168/
In January, Rich asked people to share their 23andMe results for the MTHFS gene to see if we can sort out which SNP or SNPs may be detrimental in ME/CFS. I didn't see where anyone responded. (You can find your MTHFS results by going tohttps://www.23andme.com/you/explorer/ and logging in and entering "MTHFS" for the gene name.)

It's important people contribute so we can try to figure out when folinic acid should be supplemented or avoided for certain people as part of a methylation protocol.

I may be intolerant to folinic acid (seems to cause exacerbation of fatigue, irritation of taste buds) and so am providing my DNA results. We need MTHFS results from as many other people as possible, though, whether intolerant or not.

If you could also include the one SHMT result that Yasko tests for, that may be helpful also. I'm heterozygous (AG) for that SNP (SHMT1 C1420T rs1979277), and the first day I took folinic acid it helped, as might be expected, but then I seemed to gradually get worse over several days (800-1600 mcg/day).

Below are Rich's personal MTHFS results with mine next to his in parentheses (he volunteered to be the DNA "standard"). At the time Rich was tested, 23andMe only gave results for 22 SNPs. They gave 24 for me. (36 are known?) There was only one instance of a flip in homozygosity between Rich's results and mine, rs7177659, and I discuss it after:

We're not likely to be so lucky right away that rs7177659 is the "bad" SNP, but it's interesting because having the hetero version (AC) for that SNP actually seems to be "normal" (58% frequency according to openSNP) and apparently results in a 29% decrease in cardiovascular disease risk compared to the homo versions (AA/CC). (This is from a May 2012 publication: http://jn.nutrition.org/content/early/2012/05/28/jn.111.157180.abstract - I don't have access to the full text; it's not mentioned in the abstract.)

So with respect to that SNP it might be that I have a detrimental down-regulation of MTHFS and Rich has a detrimental up-regulation (or vice versa). A down-reg would cause a build up of folinic acid and thus inhibition of SHMT (and several other enzymes outside the methylation cycle as well) and create an intolerance to supplementation. An up-reg can cause an increased turnover rate and depletion of cellular folate. Note: The C allele - what Rich has two copies of - is the ancestral (wild type) allele according to the NCBI data page.

Hopefully, if enough people contribute, we can figure out which SNP(s) is/are problematic. Thanks!