• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

how to detox when your detoxification pathway is impaired?

Perhaps this has been asked before in these forums but the search results I got were pretty vague, so I hope you'll excuse me for asking again. Also, apologies for the long-ish post; it's too complex to boil down, sorry!

I'm really confused about detox (well, I'm confused about everything with regards to ME/CFS and treatment). My urine aminos/essential elements test from Amy Yasko indicated a markedly impaired detoxification ability, and elevated need for nitric oxide, which I have read is key in the body's detoxification pathway. I'm guessing this points to a NOS (+ or +/+) SNP, but I'm yet to recieve my SNP results.

The question is, how do I get myself detoxxing? alex3619 says here http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/high-dose-selenium-significantly-improves-my-fatigue-and-brain-fog.27401/ "That oxidation has to go somewhere, and vitamin E is part of the antioxidant chain (the pentet) which also includes glutathione, C, Lipoic acid and CoEnzyme Q10. Every step is needed for the chain to work."

Unfortunately, however, my adrenal issues and suspected SNPs (hetero or homo CBS, COMT, SUOX, NOS, VDR fok and/or tak) preclude all of the above except vitamin c. I have been taking 300mcg Ubiquinolol (the active, non-soy form) for around 10 days, but I'm not sure if it's the correct form. Perhaps injudiciously I've also been taking a daily dose of NOS supporting aminos (according to Yasko I shouldn't be treating the NOS defect yet) - Bulk Powders citrulline-malate; Solgar Amino 75 (which contains BCAAs); Jarrow l-carnitine; HHI AminoAssist; and Bulk Powders l-taurine before bed 2x weekly (even though it's something I'm told I shouild be avoiding as it's an ammonia provoker) - at the dosage recommended on the back of the packaging. No benefits thus far.

Any advice would be really welcome, thanks.

adreno

PR activist
Your SNPs don't preclude you from taking antioxidants, or detox agents. They just impose limitations on the number of agents used, and the dosage. For example, just because you have CBS, you still need B6, just perhaps a smaller dose than someone who doesn't have this mutation. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

That's understandable, but the amount of things I'm supposed to be taking, even in smaller doses, in general makes for easy accumulation of ammonia provokers, methyl donors, lipid donors. In respect to the antioxidant agents listed in the original post, they all affect one or more of my health issues besides the (suspected) SNPs.

If all agents in a chain (or whatever the term is) depend on each other, isn't imposing limitations on one going to render the rest ineffective? I don't mean to sound like I'm arguing with you - I genuinely do not know.