• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How to determine a vitamin b12 deficiency?

jason30

Hi,

It is not that I am looking for a shortage, but I want to exclude it because of all my current health issues. I have a lot of mineral and vitamin shortages and I would be suprised if my b12 levels are normal.

And because of more health issues, I can't determine a b12 deficiency based on the symptom list.

I am deficient in cobalt; 0.1
Normal serum Vitamin b12 test by doc: 325 pmol/L
Doc says: All good!

Is there something I can check more to rule out a b12 deficiency?

Thanks.

Chocolove

Tournament of the Phoenix - Rise Again
@jason30 Check out this book:
Could It Be B12?: An Epidemic of Misdiagnoses: Sally ... - Amazon.com
https://www.amazon.com/Could-Be-B12-Epidemic-Misdiagnoses/dp/1884995691
"The definitive book on B12 deficiency, diagnosis and treatment for the lay reader and for the interested physician." (Jeffrey Dach, M.D.) "As a practicing physician I can only hope that malpractice attorneys don't read this book." (Richard Nimbach, D.O.) "The most important book I have read in decades ... clearly, concisely...

Amazon.com: Could It Be B12-An Epidemic of Misdiagnoses: Toys ...
https://www.amazon.com/Could-Be-B12-Epidemic-Misdiagnoses/dp/B00A1HE5Y4Cached
Rating: 4.6 - ‎249 reviews
I have extremely low b12 due to atrophic gastritis. This book answered all of my questions. I'm about to order two more books - one to give to my physician (who seems to have no clue as to the importance of maintaining levels) and one for elderly in-laws, who I feel certain could benefit from b12.

jason30

@jason30 Check out this book:
Could It Be B12?: An Epidemic of Misdiagnoses: Sally ... - Amazon.com
https://www.amazon.com/Could-Be-B12-Epidemic-Misdiagnoses/dp/1884995691
"The definitive book on B12 deficiency, diagnosis and treatment for the lay reader and for the interested physician." (Jeffrey Dach, M.D.) "As a practicing physician I can only hope that malpractice attorneys don't read this book." (Richard Nimbach, D.O.) "The most important book I have read in decades ... clearly, concisely...

Amazon.com: Could It Be B12-An Epidemic of Misdiagnoses: Toys ...
https://www.amazon.com/Could-Be-B12-Epidemic-Misdiagnoses/dp/B00A1HE5Y4Cached
Rating: 4.6 - ‎249 reviews
I have extremely low b12 due to atrophic gastritis. This book answered all of my questions. I'm about to order two more books - one to give to my physician (who seems to have no clue as to the importance of maintaining levels) and one for elderly in-laws, who I feel certain could benefit from b12.

Thanks for the book tips, I will first have an extensive blood test done and then I check these tips.

Eastman

... do you also happen to know if a deficiency in cobalt could be linked to a vitamin b12 deficiency?

I assume it is. From the University of Rochester Medical Center:

Cobalt is only in the body as a component of vitamin B-12...

Trace amounts of cobalt are found in most foods. Foods high in vitamin B-12 are the only source of cobalt used by the body...

If you have a cobalt deficiency, this also means you have a vitamin B-12 deficiency...
... one for elderly in-laws, who I feel certain could benefit from b12.
Indeed, the elderly have increased risk of B12 deficiency.

I'm sure you already know this but because this is important, I'd just like to provide a reminder to anyone else that the elderly also have increased risk of a variety of nutrient deficiencies and age-related ailments, so I think refeeding syndrome and aldosterone-related effects induced by B12 repletion could be especially dangerous for them.

jason30

I assume it is. From the University of Rochester Medical Center:

Indeed, the elderly have increased risk of B12 deficiency.

I'm sure you already know this but because this is important, I'd just like to provide a reminder to anyone else that the elderly also have increased risk of a variety of nutrient deficiencies and age-related ailments, so I think refeeding syndrome and aldosterone-related effects induced by B12 repletion could be especially dangerous for them.

Thanks for pointing that out, good to know!
I will test it further and decide if I start with b12 and folate.
I do have the MTHFR gene, so getting active folate is important for me I guess.