August 8th, 2016: Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
Jody Smith joins with other ME voices in honor of Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

how to convince them it's not all in my head

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by notmyself, Mar 16, 2017.

1. notmyself

notmyself

You have very good memory it seems !! i did post soemwhere ,yes i take aswhaghanda,it fixed my sleep completelly, the fatigue was before taking it..so i don t think is to blame..I think about supplements i take, and the only one that i can corellate with my health getting bad is Vit D .. Spring and sunny days should come sun so i can stop taking the suplemment to see if i feel better..I have a big Vit D deficiency..

2. notmyself

notmyself

Thanks, I'll keep updating..even if it will all comes out that i don t have ME ,i will still visit this forum..and keep in touch with the reasearch..i hope they will finally bring a solid treatment/cure for all..These disease need to be stopped..take care

Dechi likes this.
  3. antherder

antherder a.k.a. Princess Dauer, Nematode Nation

@notmyself, Vit D made me worse... I have a severe deficiency too. There are quite a few threads here on vitamin d, and others have had bad reactions to it as well.

Good to know I remembered correctly, for once! I was planning to mention my ashwagandha experience on that thread, but forgot. But now I've remembered again...but probably not for long...

4. antherder

antherder a.k.a. Princess Dauer, Nematode Nation

@notmyself, Re the vit d supplement, it might be a good idea to investigate further as it can cause some nasty symptoms/problems. It can cause your calcium levels to go too high, I think.

I don't know enough about it, but someone with more knowledge might be able to help.

5. notmyself

notmyself

YEp...i hope for the sun to come out ..to take it naturally and ditch the supplement..also the lack of vit D can cause many symptoms..for exemple my muscle twitches almost gone since i start taking it..but the other symptoms get worse..

6. caledonia

caledonia

Cincinnati, OH, USA
    I was having issues starting about a year before I became disabled. It started with waking up around 5pm and not being able to get back to sleep. Then increasing feelings of unwellness - stressed, fatigue, etc. I used to work out - I became unable to work out and had to quit. Then I had issues with concentration.

Then about 4 months before I became disabled, I started getting a recurring flu-like illness, and started having to take a lot of time off from work which was very usual. Testing during that time showed and Epstein Barr virus reactivation, which doctors neglected to tell me about. I kept trying to push through, which knowing what I know now, was the worst thing to do.

7. Johnskip

Johnskip

Magnesium!

8. caledonia

caledonia

Cincinnati, OH, USA
    I'm still looking at your case. I've had anxiety prior to ME/CFS. You're not exactly reporting symptoms of anxiety either, although I'm sure you're worried about what is wrong with you.

Anyway, here is what you reported:

fatigue
    muscle weakness but still able to do 40 pushups
    dizziness
    brain fog
    unrefreshing sleep helped by ashwaganda
    very mild pain
    muscle twitches
    feel sicker after exercise (but not PEM)
    lightheadedness

CFS diagnosis without PEM (you actually don't fit the Fukuda definition either, which is the one where PEM is optional - this is the most commonly used definition worldwide) http://www.cfids-me.org/cdcdefine.html

prior history of anxiety - not the same symptoms this time around (although some fatigue was present) no panic attacks, no palpitations, no hyperventilation

adrenal saliva test normal

vitamin D deficiency, supplementation helps muscle twitches, but you don't tolerate it.

=-=-==-=-

I looked at the symptoms of overtraining. There is some overlap, but that doesn't seem obvious either.

Muscle twitches are a symptom of electrolyte deficiency. Some magnesium may be helpful. You could be having muscle twitches during sleep which could be affecting sleep and causing unrefreshing sleep and fatigue. It could also make you feel not calm (anxious). Muscle weakness is another symptom. The brain fog/lightheadedness/dizziness could also be a symptom.

Ashwaganda helps sleep by lowering stress, increasing GABA, and stopping blood sugar crashes by helping your body burn fat. http://lifespa.com/5-reasons-use-ashwagandha-sleep/#

Low vitamin D can cause magnesium deficiency. Profuse sweating (as in working out a lot) can also cause it. A lot of stress can too.
    http://universityhealthnews.com/dai...e-a-clue-to-the-cause-of-your-health-problem/

=-==-=-=-

Bottom line - you have many symptoms of magnesium deficiency, and it's easy enough to try a moderate amount without causing any harm. I suggest doing a trial and see if it helps any. Any form except magnesium oxide (which doesn't absorb well) should be ok. So mag citrate, mag glycinate, Epsom salts baths (mag sulfate), etc. Coconut water may also work.

A regular doctor is probably not going to be able to diagnose a mineral deficiency like this, which is another clue. Testing is tricky as mentioned in the article I linked to.

The best, cheapest thing is to just do a trial and see what happens.

If you decide to try it, let us know what happens.

Izola likes this.
  9. caledonia

caledonia

Cincinnati, OH, USA
    I forgot to mention - cod liver oil might be a good option for vitamin D. Sometimes food sources are better tolerated if you're having trouble with artificial vitamins.

10. notmyself

notmyself

WOW...i've never think to take magnesium,cause my serum levels were normal..i didin't know that doesn't necessarily mean my magnesium is fine..thanks for the info

See more popular forum discussions.