1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Brain Cells Making us Sick? The microglia connection in ME/CFS & Fibromyalgia
Simon McGrath looks at theories that microglia, the brain's immune cells, could trigger and perpetuate the symptoms of ME/CFS and fibromyalgia.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

How to best gauge levels of brain fog & fatigue

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by Hip, Jan 30, 2013.

1. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    My brain fog can improve or worsen in seconds. I think there is some kind of dynamic process there.

Lately I have had tiny improvement in fog, and substantive in energy, from Brazil nuts, high in poly omega-6 fats and selenium. Its why I have been writing more prolifically the last week. I occasionally took one instead of a selenium supplement or for essential fat deficiency symptoms, but something I have discovered this year is a threshold effect.

Eating seven Brazil nuts all at once. once a week, has a more powerful effect than eating one a day. I see something similar with resveratrol.

PS It doesn't help with spelling or typos though, I still need to edit my posts.
    merylg likes this.
  2. Hip

Hip Senior Member

I find selenium is a supplement that seems to boost my energy quite considerably, provided I take a highish dose of 400 mcg daily (of yeast-free selenomethionine, which is the most absorbable form of selenium). Selenium should be taken on an empty stomach.

One Brazil nut contains around 50 mcg of selenium, so you'd need to eat 8 of these a day to get the 400 mcg dose.

For anyone who is going to try this: I found it takes around 10 days of selenium supplementation before the energy boost kicks in. So after 10 days of taking selenium, you may feel noticably more energetic.
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2013

See more popular forum discussions.