1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Brain Cells Making us Sick? The microglia connection in ME/CFS & Fibromyalgia
Simon McGrath looks at theories that microglia, the brain's immune cells, could trigger and perpetuate the symptoms of ME/CFS and fibromyalgia.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

How to be able to Read/Do Cognitive things longer

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by Willhm, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Willhm

Willhm

Hello,

I have a big problem with concentration and feeling really unwell after reading for too long, is there anything I can do to not find it so difficult and let it affect me so much. When I do too much I feel very out of it and it can make me feel really sick and crash. I don't read too often and this is one of the reasons but I would love to be able to read more. I have a kindle and I think I find that easier to read for me than a book, and both I think are easier than a computer screen, depending on how long I read it for.

Has anyone got any ideas, such as eating while you do it maybe to keep up blood sugar and energy etc for concentration. It is that I would like to do it for longer, it would really help I think.

Thanks.
  2. SickOfSickness

SickOfSickness Senior Member

US
    Doing less physical activity gives me more stamina for mental activities.

Also for reading, when I am less well, I have to take frequent breaks. Read 3 minutes, break 3 minutes. Or 1 minute, 1 minute or however long feels right. I feel if you push yourself to exhaustion then you can't get back to reading, so break more often than you think is necessary.

Changing position frequently helps too.
    Little Bluestem likes this.
  3. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Willhm
    Laying down while reading, etc, might help somewhat.
  4. Willhm

Willhm

I think that taking breaks for a little time but often might help as I do sometimes try and push beyond how much I feel I can do and it just makes things worse for the rest of the day and sometimes more so I just need to be patience, I will try it out, also lying down could be good too as I am probably in a uncomfortable position when reading as I probably stooped over on a chair, I will try both tips, thank you very much.

I think I will combine the two in a way as I am going to start trying to have helpful rest that is more beneficial, because I find napping makes me feel awful so I have just tried to sit practically all day but that can be tiring and uncomfortable too, so I will hopefully read for a few minutes in bed, close my eyes and rest for a few minutes and just keep it going and see if it makes a difference. InshAllah it will.
  5. Hell...Hath...No...Fury..

Hell...Hath...No...Fury.. Senior Member

England
    I've always struggled with this problem too. I used to read a book in a couple of days and now i'm struggling to finish one book per year and thats with a kindle. I always read lying flat to keep blood up to the brain, and rest often but my problem is, once i've rested i struggle to go back to it. I increase the font gradually as my brain slows down but i've never found a way in 15 years to be able to increase reading ability. I think its something many of us struggle with :-(
  6. jeffrez

jeffrez Senior Member

NY
    provigil
  7. Hell...Hath...No...Fury..

Hell...Hath...No...Fury.. Senior Member

England
    Just had a look at that provigil, sounds intriguing! If it increases concentration in 'sleepy' people, and it worked for ME, would there be a price to pay for that extra mental exercise that would then be possible to do? Gonna look further into that!
  8. Allyson

Allyson *****

Australia, Melbourne
    do as much as you can - of all kinds of activity - lying down

this prevents OI/POTS symptoms kicking in and you can save the energy/ blood supply for important things

Ally
  9. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    Eatting at the same time as reading, I wouldnt recommend, the digestive process uses energy. (People often feel sleepy after eatting).

As the others suggest, I suggest frequent breaks and laying down while reading. Also I take what Im reading into consideration too, things that strongly interest me are far easier not to be loosing my focus on and things written in short paragraphs are far easier then long blocks of text etc
  10. SickOfSickness

SickOfSickness Senior Member

US
    I also make the text big and have the right lighting.
    Allyson likes this.
  11. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    Midodrine, florinef
    Allyson likes this.
  12. Allyson

Allyson *****

Australia, Melbourne
    yes - get diagnosed and treated for OI/POTS of which midrodine and florinef etc are part of the treatment as Inester7 so rightly points out.

Ally

See more popular forum discussions.