A disease with two faces? Re-naming ME/CFS
Persuasion Smith covers the bases on the misleading and disreputable name for our disease we've all been saddled with ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

How to accurately cut pills or measure powders?

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by Aileen, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Aileen

Aileen Senior Member

Canada
    Like many here, I am sensitive to meds and supplements and need to use very low doses. Often that means cutting pills or trying to open capsules and measure powder.

I read about some people here using 1/64 of something or some tiny mcg amount and wonder how they are doing that.

Can you buy some inexpensive device or tiny measuring spoons that lets you accurately measure smaller amounts? The smallest accurate measure I have is regular measuring spoons (1/4tsp).

rosie26 likes this.
  2. minkeygirl

minkeygirl Senior Member

Left Coast
    Here is the way i'm doing it with my naltrexone. I have 50 mg tablets. I pulverize one and put it in 50 ml water. Then I use an irrigation syringe to draw off the dose I want. So 1 cc is 1 mg etc. I keep it in a brown glass bottle in the fridge and keep it for a month.

Some people use a scale. I also have a pill splitter. I don't get a consistent dose but it's close enough for the things I'm taking.

Aileen and ggingues like this.
  3. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    I use these spoons: http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-3080-S...d_sbs_k_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1T217MBV4EHFJ3R0MAR1

A reviewer has determined the approximate size of each spoon:
    The smidgen spoon fits into size 00 capsules or larger, and the drop spoon fits into pretty much anything.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
    Helen, zzz, Little Bluestem and 6 others like this.
  4. Aileen

Aileen Senior Member

Canada
    Thanks folks. This is exactly the info I needed!

5. AndyPandy

AndyPandy Making the most of it

Australia
    Thanks for the tip @Valentijn. Just bought some of these!

Valentijn likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.