• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How to accurately cut pills or measure powders?

Aileen

Like many here, I am sensitive to meds and supplements and need to use very low doses. Often that means cutting pills or trying to open capsules and measure powder.

I read about some people here using 1/64 of something or some tiny mcg amount and wonder how they are doing that.

Can you buy some inexpensive device or tiny measuring spoons that lets you accurately measure smaller amounts? The smallest accurate measure I have is regular measuring spoons (1/4tsp).

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Here is the way i'm doing it with my naltrexone. I have 50 mg tablets. I pulverize one and put it in 50 ml water. Then I use an irrigation syringe to draw off the dose I want. So 1 cc is 1 mg etc. I keep it in a brown glass bottle in the fridge and keep it for a month.

Some people use a scale. I also have a pill splitter. I don't get a consistent dose but it's close enough for the things I'm taking.

Valentijn

Can you buy some inexpensive device or tiny measuring spoons that lets you accurately measure smaller amounts? The smallest accurate measure I have is regular measuring spoons (1/4tsp).
I use these spoons: http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-3080-S...d_sbs_k_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1T217MBV4EHFJ3R0MAR1

A reviewer has determined the approximate size of each spoon:
TAD = 1/4 tsp
DASH = 1/12 tsp <<<< not 1/8 >>>
PINCH = 1/16 tsp
SMIDGEN = 1/32 tsp
DROP = 1/64 tsp

The smidgen spoon fits into size 00 capsules or larger, and the drop spoon fits into pretty much anything.

Last edited: