Phoenix Rising tells QMUL: release the PACE trial data
Mark Berry, Acting CEO of Phoenix Rising, presents the Board of Directors’ open letter to Queen Mary University of London (QMUL) urging them to release the PACE trial data, and hopes that other non-UK organisations will join British charities in the same request...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

How the SMC gets science wrong

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Demepivo, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Demepivo

Demepivo Dolores Abernathy

One of the big problems ME/CFS & science in general face is oversimplification.

There is a piece in today’s Guardian how the Science media Centre (SMC) took a piece of neuro-science research, tweaked it, spun it, sent it out the mass media and endless nonsense was repeated the in UK Press.

It is from Dean Burnett, a researcher who is no stranger to over-simplification himself in his Guardian column or in his book the Idiot Brain.

How the media warp science the case of the sensationalised satnav

He goes on to describe how the SMC dealt with with one particular neuroscience piece of research.

He concludes

2. Demepivo

Demepivo Dolores Abernathy

An endorsement of a critique of the SMC by Sir Simon....

3. Valentijn

Valentijn The Diabolic Logic

Maybe someone should let him know that, far from being "independent" the SMC is partially funded by the institutions that they publicize research for. I've seen no honest attempt of "fair and accurate" reporting from them.

See more popular forum discussions.