• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How reliable are the Sulfate test strips

I bought the test strips from amazon and they show my levels are quite high yet I've been on a low (almost no) sulfur diet for over several months. after about 2 months, I started adding it back in slowly it back in, then started having multiple chemical sensitivities so started no sulfur again for the last 5 wks.

My pracitioncer thinks I overdid the no sulfur b/c I was having breathing issues and head pressure. Now I may have histamine issues and I'm not able to determine if the breathing symptom is coming from histamine or lack of sulfur.

Regardless, I don't understand why the sulfur levels would still be high, so I'm not sure if they're accurate. Any insight? Thanks.

Valentijn

Mindy -
As far as I know, those sulfur strips are designed for industrial use, not medical use in urine. I recall reading that they can be affected by pH levels, which might be different in urine than they would be in a typical setting.

I don't think they can be used diagnostically to say your sulfur levels are too high or too low. But they probably can show if there's been any change, such as when on a normal diet versus a special diet.