• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

how old are you?

how old are you?

• under 10 years old

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 11-20

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • 21-30

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • 31-40

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • 41-50

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • 51-60

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • 61-70

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • 71-80

• 81-90

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 91-100

• Total voters

jewel

Heck, SaveMe, my kids blame me for just about everything (teens), depending on the day! So, why not? My mom had a lot of undefined, bothersome illness symptoms, and I sometimes wonder if I inherited a predisposition for this from her... J

this is where subsets come in. because if you have the same illness that i have, you didn't inherit it and genetics mean nothing. you got coughed on or sneezed on, or kissed an infected person, or maybe drank from the same glass(ingested saliva).

unless someone knowingly infected you, there's no sense in Blaming anybody. just the same as you gave it to somebody else before you knew what it was, it's not your fault. that's why once we understand that we have a contagious condition, we must do our best not to infect others. This isn't so easy, but it has to be tried.

Blame and guilt are best avoided in our situation unless you know that another person intentionally exposed you.

if you don't have my subset, maybe you did inherit something. parents who have a disease and still have kids are responsible to those children when the inherited stuff comes out. whether you blame them or they feel guilty are personal choices.

No. It was not your mothers evil plan to give you crap genes. ME/CFS is caused by a virus anyway...

ukxmrv

why blame the mother? Father's contribute genes as well.

I don't blame either of my parents for this disease. It may have been around in my family for generations.

The younger folks are not as sick yet maybe? I struggled for 25 years before being forced to quit work. I was in such denial the whole time to boot, figuring some doctor would tell me what the heck was going on.

TinyT

How young is young? I'm 24 and pretty darn sick, about 30-40% functioning, can't work anymore.

The long term effects of this disease have got to be pretty bad though

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Is this poll tyo see the prevalance at different ages. that doesnt work for us all though as some of us have been ill a long time. I first got ill in ym early 20's but am now 41 -where does that put me?
As for genetics, i dont know, my adopted mum who i grew up with has had lots of similar symptoms and strange illnesses for years but we are not related. One of my children was very sick with an M.E type illness for a couple of years but now seems better. who knows.

SaveMe

Hello 5150,
you are provided misleading statements. First, this illness is not proven to be contagious, so your claims are based on assumption. WPI confidently states "XMRV is thought to be transmitted through body fluids such as blood, semen, and mothers breast milk but is not transmitted through the air." http://www.wpinstitute.org/xmrv/xmrv_qa.html

this is not a personal attack, but for the sake of science, and for the sake of moving this illness forward, please read up on these things.

Justy and Evangelina: The purpose of this poll is to determine the age prevalence of current ME/CFS sufferers, but you both raise a good point. After I feel this poll is finished, I will address this follow-up question. Good thinking. :)