Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

How often do you cry?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by Kenny Banya, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Kenny Banya

Kenny Banya Senior Member

Australia
    Just interested

2. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member

Not very & not regularly. Not sure when exactly to be honest.

3. dancer

dancer Senior Member

Midwest, USA
    An interesting question. Since getting ME/CFS, I've probably been able to cry a handful of times in 10 years. I don't have the physical energy that crying demands. Any emotion - including joy - can bring on a payback of exhaustion, so just as I've learned to move more slowly, I also have learned to mute my natural stirrings of emotion. Not sure if I'm explaining that well.

4. belize44

belize44 Senior Member

Pennsylvania
    I find that I go through cycles of intense fatigue which is usually accompanied by emotional fragility. I couldn't say how often, since I don't consistently cry when tired, but it is fairly predictable that when crashed, I am more likely to cry; especially if I must force myself to function.

mrquasar, Jennifer J and justy like this.
  5. Jessie 107

Jessie 107

Brighton
    Quite often since I have become ill,especially when experiencing PEM

Mel9 likes this.
  6. mirshine

mirshine Senior Member

Dublin, Ireland
    I think I get upset and tearful quite often, but not actual crying.

But I do still cry more than I would have before

Mrs Sowester likes this.
  7. Hell...Hath...No...Fury..

Hell...Hath...No...Fury.. Senior Member

UK
    No where near as much as I should :grumpy:

8. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member

I'll buck the trend....sadly I seem to have got more likely to be on the verge of tears and often totally out of context ...I think this seems to be magnesium related or folate. This is not something I had a problem with before I got ill. I think family bereavement was the only thing that made me cry in 10 years. Now a DIY program will set me off...quite embarrassing really. Not very manly :cry:

9. justy

justy Donate Advocate Demonstrate

U.K
    I find crying, the same as laughing, gives me terrible PEM and so sadly I have learnt to try and suppress most emotions and keep on a very even keel. This can be very frustrating.

A crash nearly always comes with a few tears and some emotion though, which is my sign I am well overdone.

10. Dechi

Dechi Senior Member

I was a person who didn't show emotions easily before ME. Now, it seems that the center of my emotions is affected. I know my limbic system is, and I think it regulates emotions. Anyways, I have this knot in my thorat pretty much 24/7 and I feel Ready to cry at any emotion that will present itself. Anything happy or sad will trigger tears. I cry just about every day, sometimes 2-3 times a day.

It doesn't last too long most of the time, a few seconds. I have to admit I have been having depression since last march, and it is probably augmenting this feeling as well.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    mrquasar, sb4, Mrs Sowester and 4 others like this.
  11. erin

erin Senior Member

I am unable to cry for a long time, I mean years. I am also unable to laugh, I lost my sense of lightness. The only feeling I deeply feel and able to show is anger. I get pissed off veeerrry easily nowadays. Other times I'm pretty blank in general.

12. Dechi

Dechi Senior Member

Anger is the emotion I can't deal with anymore. It takes too much energy to have. When I want to get mad, I feel like a little mouse trying to roar, it's just not happening...

erin, Invisible Woman, sb4 and 5 others like this.
  13. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member

14. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    I've always cried easily. These days, it seems to be pretty related to my physical/biochemical state. A few years ago I started using lithium orotate. From the first dose, I was no longer bursting into tears at every sad story. Currently I take it about once a week.

OTOH, I fairly often find myself briefly whimpering, moaning, or repeating a mantra of curse words. Not so often, but probably at least weekly. :rolleyes::cry::D:balanced:

mirshine likes this.
  15. Groggy Doggy

Groggy Doggy Senior Member

I usually cry when I hear about someone from our ME community pass away. Other than those times, I sometimes have a dry cry when I feel overwhelmed and helpless.

See more popular forum discussions.