• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How much Vitamin C do you take?

Jenny

Hmm, I took high doses(six grams or more daily) of vit c for years thinking it was a good thing. My only 'known' side effect was copper depletion which was easily corrected. Now, I wonder, too, if this seemingly benign treatment wasn't all along causing harm as well. Anybody else sometimes just feel like 'throwing up your hands', yelling, what the(self-edited) else?

Yep!

Jenny

u&iraok

Maybe we could do a vitamin-c-to-bowel-tolerance session periodically and the rest of the time, take a near-RDA amount? Would that make sense?

richvank

Maybe we could do a vitamin-c-to-bowel-tolerance session periodically and the rest of the time, take a near-RDA amount? Would that make sense?

Hi, u&iraok.

I think that would be an interesting experiment, and I don't know how it would come out. I guess I still think that lifting the partial block in the methylation cycle so that glutathione can come up to normal would be a better thing to do. Glutathione is the basis for the antioxidant enzyme system, and the thing that is holding it down in ME/CFS is the partial block in the methylation cycle. I believe that the results of our clinical study support that.

Best regards,

Rich

aquariusgirl

Lou. Susan Costen Owens, a researcher who has done some work around oxolates, thinks that high dose Vit C contributes to high oxolates, which holds down glutathione. Paraphrasing here!! May be something to look into.

SJB944

Ahhh damned if you do, damned if you don't. A very familiar issue when it comes to this illness!

taniaaust1

Rich. There is some people who have taken up to 50-55grams of vitamin C daily but not reached bowel tollerance. At what point do you believe it would be dangerous?

Such large doses really concern me as we are talking about heaps over daily recommended amounts and far more then what has probably been studied. (and the risk of kidney stones with excess).

http://www.sisterzeus.com/Hsp1shlp.htm there is also a site I cant think of where it is now, where females successfully share their abortion experiences with using vitamin C).
I want all here to be aware of this possible danger whether that one is a myth or not, Ive seen enough online in the past of women using it to think it may not be just a myth.

(the other info I shared on vitamin C was what i was taught in Nutrition classes at college).

Hmm, I took high doses(six grams or more daily) of vit c for years thinking it was a good thing. My only 'known' side effect was copper depletion which was easily corrected. Now, I wonder, too, if this seemingly benign treatment wasn't all along causing harm as well. Anybody else sometimes just feel like 'throwing up your hands', yelling, what the(self-edited) else?

My own advice would be never to take anytihng just for the sake of taking it, let your own body tell you if taking extra of something is a good thing for you or not.

Go by your own body and if something doesnt seem to be helping in anyway, probably best not taking it unless you know you have a deficiency of it or need it for some reason.

I am seeing an alternative doc in addition to my me/cfs and lyme docs. The alt doc has me on buffered vita c powder to bowel tolerance. I can't deal with the belly discomfort to get a flush per se, but have been able to get in 6-10 grams of C a day. I also get a myers cocktail IV that has 25grams of C. I will try 50 next time. My only side effect is a headache, I think next time I'll follow with a liter of sodium chloride (don't seem to get a headache hen I get that). I also have chronic lyme and the C gave me quite a herx for a couple of weeks.

The doc also has me on much higher doses of b12 than I'm used to. 20mg per cc of hydroxocabalamin from Wellness Pharmacy, 1/2cc 3xwk; 4 quercetin a day at 900mg each, and an alkaline diet (use ph test strips to test first morning urine). Having trouble with the diet...I'm still acidic.

For the first time in years I was able to get a cold, fight it off and feel better than b4 the cold in seven days...can't remember the last time that happened.

Lou

Rich. There is some people who have taken up to 50-55grams of vitamin C daily but not reached bowel tollerance. At what point do you believe it would be dangerous?

Such large doses really concern me as we are talking about heaps over daily recommended amounts and far more then what has probably been studied. (and the risk of kidney stones with excess).

http://www.sisterzeus.com/Hsp1shlp.htm there is also a site I cant think of where it is now, where females successfully share their abortion experiences with using vitamin C).

My own advice would be never to take anytihng just for the sake of taking it, let your own body tell you if taking extra of something is a good thing for you or not.

Go by your own body and if something doesnt seem to be helping in anyway, probably best not taking it unless you know you have a deficiency of it or need it for some reason.

Hi taniaaust1,

Of the many helpful posts you make, I'm not entirely sure of this one. I did not say I took vit c 'just for the sake of taking it', there were credible studies, and people such as Dr. Linus Pauling, categorically stating it was a 'good thing' on various levels.

If I'd listened to my body, a second --not to mention all those that followed-- round of chelation never would've happened.
And not a peep from my body about certain supplements(vit e, for example), yet I take them. However, all that said, I take your point and thank you.

richvank

***Hi, Tania.

***My responses are at the asterisks below:

***I haven't heard before of people who have been able to go to this high a dosage before developing diarrhea. Dr. Cathcart did report, though, that if people had high inflammation, their bodies would absorb more, and their bowel tolerance dosage would go higher, until the inflammation was eliminated, and then it would go lower.

***I haven't heard of vitamin C becoming dangerous. I do know that if it is given intravenously at larger dosages than can be absorbed orally, it is effective as a cancer treatment. This has been shown by Mark Levine and coworkers at the NIH. It is currently approved for use by Dr. Jeanne Drisko and coworkers at the University of Kansas when used together with conventional cancer treatment: http://www.prescription2000.com/Int...ne-drisko-iv-vitamin-c-update-transcript.html

***As I wrote before, for ME/CFS, I prefer treating to lift the methylation cycle block and restore glutathione to normal levels, rather than trying high-dose vitamin C, but there may be people who are not able to benefit from this treatment. As I mentioned, Dr. Robert Cathcart used bowel tolerance vitamin C all his life. He may not have been able to raise glutathione.

***Yes, bowel tolerance dosages are much higher than the RDA. Studies do show that taking large dosages of vitamin C do increase the excretion of oxalate in the urine. However, the connection with kidney stones is not very clear. It may depend on other factors in the diet (such as calcium) and on the condition of the gut. If there is leaky gut, and vegetables high in oxalate are eaten, this could cause more oxalate to be absorbed into the blood from the gut.

I want all here to be aware of this possible danger whether that one is a myth or not, Ive seen enough online in the past of women using it to think it may not be just a myth.

***There is some published Russian research in animals that reports increased abortions with high-dose vitamin C. There is also published research by the FDA that does not find increased abortions. I don't know what to conclude from this. I do think that pregnant women should avoid extremes in taking nutritional supplements. It's very important to avoid high doses of vitamin A, for example. But it's also important to make sure they get enough of the essential nutrients. One very important one is folate.

(the other info I shared on vitamin C was what i was taught in Nutrition classes at college).

***I agree that paying attention to your body's response is a good thing to do. However, sometimes this can be misleading. For example, people with ME/CFS appear to have accumulated pathogens and toxins while ill, because their immune system and detoxication system have been dysfunctional. When these are restored to more normal operation, there will likely be detox and die-off symptoms, but these processes are necessary to bring the person back to health.

***Best regards,

***Rich

u&iraok

When I have a cold I try to take C to bowel tolerance but stop at 30 grams though I haven't yet reached bowel tolerance. When the cold is almost gone I reach bowel tolerance at a much lower dose.

I wonder if at 50-55 grams not reaching bowel tolerance means the precence of a virus or viruses?

When I was seeing a Naturopath/Nutritionist I learned about the importance of not only increasing low levels of nutrients but balances and correct ratios of nutrients. You can throw those balances off by taking too much of something. A lot of people think that Vit C is just excreted when you take too much but that doesn't mean it can throw things off while it's in your system.

Athene

ihateticks.me
[/QUOTE] When I was seeing a Naturopath/Nutritionist I learned about the importance of not only increasing low levels of nutrients but balances and correct ratios of nutrients. You can throw those balances off by taking too much of something. A lot of people think that Vit C is just excreted when you take too much but that doesn't mean it can throw things off while it's in your system.[/QUOTE]

That's a very good point.