• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How Much Vit D do You Take

JAH

Hi Everyone,

Like seemingly everyone else, my blood levels of vitamin d are low. My doctor recommended I take 5,000 iu of d3, and I accidentally bought 50,000. I'm wondering how much people take, any experiences with very high doses, did it benefit you. Does anyone know how long vitamin d stays in your blood? My mom takes a prescription dose once a month, maybe that could work for me. (Fewer pills the better...)

JAH

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I take 10,000 IU and have for years. With that amount I have middle range of D totally from supplementation. I take one small gelcap daily. It's nothing.

I know someone who looked into the RX and it's a difference kind of D. I remember correctly it's not as good as the kind you get for supplementation.

vamah

I also take 10,000, but in 2 doses instead of all at once. I noticed a definote improvement when I weng from 5000 to 10,000 and a definite difference when I divide the doses because I guess ot keeps my levels constant.

Mij

I was able to increase my vitamin D levels when I got my magnesium levels corrected. Now I only take 2000iu/day vitamin D to keep my levels up at 75.

Mij

Low serum concentrations of 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D in human magnesium deficiency.
Rude RK, Adams JS, Ryzen E, Endres DB, Niimi H, Horst RL, Haddad JG Jr, Singer FR.
Abstract
The effect of magnesium deficiency on vitamin D metabolism was assessed in 23 hypocalcemic magnesium-deficient patients by measuring the serum concentrations of 25-hydroxyvitamin D (25OHD) and 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D [1,25-(OH)2D] before, during, and after 5-13 days of parenteral magnesium therapy. Magnesium therapy raised mean basal serum magnesium [1.0 +/- 0.1 (mean +/- SEM) mg/dl] and calcium levels (7.2 +/- 0.2 mg/dl) into the normal range (2.2 +/- 0.1 and 9.3 +/- 0.1 mg/dl, respectively; P less than 0.001). The mean serum 25OHD concentration was in the low normal range (13.2 +/- 1.5 ng/ml) before magnesium administration and did not significantly change after this therapy (14.8 +/- 1.5 ng/ml). Sixteen of the 23 patients had low serum 1,25-(OH)2D levels (less than 30 pg/ml). After magnesium therapy, only 5 of the patients had a rise in the serum 1,25-(OH)2D concentration into or above the normal range despite elevated levels of serum immunoreactive PTH. An additional normocalcemic hypomagnesemic patient had low 1,25-(OH)2D levels which did not rise after 5 days of magnesium therapy. The serum vitamin D-binding protein concentration, assessed in 11 patients, was low (273 +/- 86 micrograms/ml) before magnesium therapy, but normalized (346 +/- 86 micrograms/ml) after magnesium repletion. No correlation with serum 1,25-(OH)2D levels was found. The functional capacity of vitamin D-binding protein to bind hormone, assessed by the internalization of [3H]1,25-(OH)2D3 by intestinal epithelial cells in the presence of serum was not significantly different from normal (11.42 +/- 1.45 vs. 10.27 +/- 1.27 fmol/2 X 10(6) cells, respectively). These data show that serum 1,25-(OH)2D concentrations are frequently low in patients with magnesium deficiency and may remain low even after 5-13 days of parenteral magnesium administration. The data also suggest that a normal 1,25-(OH)2D level is not required for the PTH-mediated calcemic response to magnesium administration. We conclude that magnesium depletion may impair vitamin D metabolism.

PMID:
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Martial

Low serum concentrations of 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D in human magnesium deficiency.
Rude RK, Adams JS, Ryzen E, Endres DB, Niimi H, Horst RL, Haddad JG Jr, Singer FR.
Abstract
The effect of magnesium deficiency on vitamin D metabolism was assessed in 23 hypocalcemic magnesium-deficient patients by measuring the serum concentrations of 25-hydroxyvitamin D (25OHD) and 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D [1,25-(OH)2D] before, during, and after 5-13 days of parenteral magnesium therapy. Magnesium therapy raised mean basal serum magnesium [1.0 +/- 0.1 (mean +/- SEM) mg/dl] and calcium levels (7.2 +/- 0.2 mg/dl) into the normal range (2.2 +/- 0.1 and 9.3 +/- 0.1 mg/dl, respectively; P less than 0.001). The mean serum 25OHD concentration was in the low normal range (13.2 +/- 1.5 ng/ml) before magnesium administration and did not significantly change after this therapy (14.8 +/- 1.5 ng/ml). Sixteen of the 23 patients had low serum 1,25-(OH)2D levels (less than 30 pg/ml). After magnesium therapy, only 5 of the patients had a rise in the serum 1,25-(OH)2D concentration into or above the normal range despite elevated levels of serum immunoreactive PTH. An additional normocalcemic hypomagnesemic patient had low 1,25-(OH)2D levels which did not rise after 5 days of magnesium therapy. The serum vitamin D-binding protein concentration, assessed in 11 patients, was low (273 +/- 86 micrograms/ml) before magnesium therapy, but normalized (346 +/- 86 micrograms/ml) after magnesium repletion. No correlation with serum 1,25-(OH)2D levels was found. The functional capacity of vitamin D-binding protein to bind hormone, assessed by the internalization of [3H]1,25-(OH)2D3 by intestinal epithelial cells in the presence of serum was not significantly different from normal (11.42 +/- 1.45 vs. 10.27 +/- 1.27 fmol/2 X 10(6) cells, respectively). These data show that serum 1,25-(OH)2D concentrations are frequently low in patients with magnesium deficiency and may remain low even after 5-13 days of parenteral magnesium administration. The data also suggest that a normal 1,25-(OH)2D level is not required for the PTH-mediated calcemic response to magnesium administration. We conclude that magnesium depletion may impair vitamin D metabolism.

PMID:
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Wow thanks for the link! that explains a lot for me.. Very severely deficient in magnesium from my illness.. Needed to use topical forms to get my levels back, and maybe shots soon from my doctor.. It also comes hand in hand with low potassium. Low magnesium is almost impossible to find in tests as well.

*GG*

I take at least 5K IUs year round, and up it to around 10K from fall to spring. I am pretty sure my magnesium levels are good, my Dr checks it, and 2000 IUs would not keep my level as high as I want!

GG

Min

10,000iu daily has made a huge difference in lessening the number of viruses I catch.

Mij

Wow thanks for the link! that explains a lot for me.. Very severely deficient in magnesium from my illness.. Needed to use topical forms to get my levels back, and maybe shots soon from my doctor.. It also comes hand in hand with low potassium. Low magnesium is almost impossible to find in tests as well.

Exatest would give you accurate Mg levels in the cells. I had my RBC serum levels tested many years ago and it showed lower range, but the symptoms I was experiencing at the time indicated I have severe Mg deficiency. Once I started the shots the symptoms disappeared.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
When my vitamin D was low my dr. had me take 2500 IU 4x/week, so it must stay in your system more than a day.

I am now taking 1000 IU/day as part of osteoporosis treatment.

Mij

Low B12 levels also increases your risk of osteoporosis. If you're over 50yrs try to keep B12 levels up.

sueami

I was clinically low in D (17, iirc) last spring. My functional medicine clinic nurse put me on 50,000 iu pills once a week for something like eight weeks. After that I sunbathed and supplemented, I don't remember if it was 400 units or 2000 a day, but in January of this year, after a crash, I realized I was only taking 400 ius and I bumped that to 4000. By mid April, when I had bloodwork done, I was at 39, which my HMO doc thought was fine but I know from reading up on my snips I should raise. Since we're almost to summer here, I"m thinking of raising my dose to 6,000 a day for now and 10,000 in the fall and winter.