• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

how much Potassium and Salt ?

Seven7

Seven
Ty PW.
I guess there is where I guess confused. I have OI or POTs not sure what kind yet, waiting on ttt. But I was told to do salt. So when I am preparing my electrolyte drink, I put the 2:1 pot to salt. But then I need to add the salt for the POTs??? I need clarification on the extra salt for the POTs.

Ema

Unfortunately it is almost impossible to make a general recommendation for individual needs for potassium and salt. So many factors influence the amount needed including everything from meds taken to the weather outside and activity levels.

The RDA is a good place to start especially for potassium which can be dangerous if too low or too high. I would not personally supplement more than 20 mEQ without having electrolyte labs regularly.

Sea salt can be adjusted more by "feel" than potassium but the amounts people take to help with their symptoms also varies widely - anywhere from 1/2 teas to several tablespoons.

If you live in one of the states where you can order labwork yourself online, this is a good option for monitoring electrolyte levels. It's about $25 and the results are in your email the next day.