• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How much Mg/vitamin D are you taking?

bigmillz

Just curious, specifically those with a VDR TAQ mutation. How much of each has worked best for you?

Deltrus

Vitamin D I'm doing 10k iu a day. But I really have no idea what is best. I took 20k iu before, but I stopped when I started responding more to magnesium & zinc, both of which are dependent on vitamin D to help absorb.

As for magnesium, on an average day 100 mg x 4 spread out through the day is best. It seems to absorb much better if spread out. And I also tolerate it much better with this dose. I don't have to fear overshooting the dose.

Sometimes I have days when I have a super high demand for magnesium. The cues for me are high muscle inflammation, feeling a need to stretch, stretching very hard and getting a pleasurable and slightly itchy feeling stretch. I also tend to feel extremely tired. My mental clarity is passable, however. On these days I can take in around 1-1.5g of magnesium and feel better the more I take.

Potassium deficiency feels different to magnesium deficiency because the stretches don't feel good, and your muscles tend to take around 1s to relax again. Potassium deficiency I don't seem to get as much muscular inflammation, but I get really bad problems with focus and fatigue. Often poor focus and fatigue happen before any muscular symptoms.

Both electrolyte deficiencies I get after b12 and perhaps b2/6/zinc/copper.

bigmillz

Vitamin D I'm doing 10k iu a day. But I really have no idea what is best. I took 20k iu before, but I stopped when I started responding more to magnesium & zinc, both of which are dependent on vitamin D to help absorb.

As for magnesium, on an average day 100 mg x 4 spread out through the day is best. It seems to absorb much better if spread out. And I also tolerate it much better with this dose. I don't have to fear overshooting the dose.

Sometimes I have days when I have a super high demand for magnesium. The cues for me are high muscle inflammation, feeling a need to stretch, stretching very hard and getting a pleasurable and slightly itchy feeling stretch. I also tend to feel extremely tired. My mental clarity is passable, however. On these days I can take in around 1-1.5g of magnesium and feel better the more I take.

Potassium deficiency feels different to magnesium deficiency because the stretches don't feel good, and your muscles tend to take around 1s to relax again. Potassium deficiency I don't seem to get as much muscular inflammation, but I get really bad problems with focus and fatigue. Often poor focus and fatigue happen before any muscular symptoms.

Both electrolyte deficiencies I get after b12 and perhaps b2/6/zinc/copper.

Thanks for the detail on this one...I'd spread mine out, but it still makes me tired when I take it. A lot less so than the first few days (I'm on day 6 now of the Mg). I switched to Mg Malate too, which I'm liking. It might be agitating me a little though, not quite sure. It's hard to tell if it's from that or the D.