• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How much methylfolate and B12 do YOU take per day?

ahmo

dannybex

@dannybex Yes, I was on B12 and folate before adding the other Bs. I'd started both folate and B12 on their own, before I understood things, and had what I then thought was detox symptoms, but was clearly deficiency symptoms. I'm using Swanson's B Complex, the equivalent of a 25mg B Complex, split into 1/2 AM/midday. It's the only one I've found that's both low dose and has the activated forms:
http://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson-ultra-activated-b-complex-high-bioavailability-60-veg-caps

Thanks so much. By 'deficiency symptoms', I'm guessing you mean deficiencies of the other B vitamins?

Also, do you remember approximately how long you were taking the B12/folate before you added the b-complex?

And lastly, what percentage of improvement do you feel you've experienced as a result of this?

ahmo

Thanks so much. By 'deficiency symptoms', I'm guessing you mean deficiencies of the other B vitamins?

Also, do you remember approximately how long you were taking the B12/folate before you added the b-complex?

And lastly, what percentage of improvement do you feel you've experienced as a result of this?
What I recall as deficiency in both instances, of B12 alone and folate alone, is terrible outbreak on scalp. I know now that this is what I'd expect as folate deficiency. I can't explain why I got the same symptom from either of the 2. And it well may be that it's my recall that's off, I'd have to go back several years in my scribbled daily notes.

I'm pretty sure it was a very long time before I started B complex. For some years I'd used high dose single B's. When I started GAPS diet I stopped all supps for a time. I reckon I was on just the Deadlock Quartet supps for some time before getting a B complex.

Improvement: All my neurological symptoms resolved, including life-long tendency toward insomnia, which had become chronic and awful since ME. I now get to sleep, stay asleep, return to sleep when awakened like I never was able to throughout my life. Decreased light, noise, heat sensitivity; end of muscle twitches,....

What I know of folate, which I still lack a deep understanding of, is an end to a variety of skin symptoms, including blood blisters in my mouth. But I think that's a pretty superficial understanding of folate.

Between change of diet, detox, methylation supplements, I've gotten rid of all the associated noxious symptoms I'd had for years. I'm left with profound limits to my mental and physical activity, but my quality of life improvements are also profound. cheers

dannybex

Thanks @ahmo. That's really awesome, inspiring. I've had to take separate B vits as well, and still can't tolerate b-6 or p-5-p, which is a problem with my oxalate issues, so am hoping that a higher dose of b12 especially, and then folate will help resolve that.

I had been taking both folinic and methylfolate (in small pieces) several times throughout the day, and then more before bed, as they helped me sleep, but then was going in a downward spiral to where I could hardly walk a few feet because my muscles were cramping, twitching and -- gulp -- wasting away. It dawned on me that I'd not taken MB-12 very much over the last 2 weeks. I restarted yesterday and have noticed an obvious improvement in just 8 hours.

After a lot of googling, I realized I must've been creating a methyl-trap situation by not taking the B12 with the folate.

sigh...

ahmo

I'm very glad to see this thread, and how fast it's possible to increase. I've been doing methylation for a few months, and every time I feel better I think "I'll just stay here for awhile", but after a few days or a week I feel terrible, and it takes me days of feeling bad before I consider increasing. So now I'm going to try increasing the methylfolate and hydroxy b12 on a regular schedule. I started methylation around Sept, and overall I am functioning so much better than before, but it's very up and down.

When I started I was having terrible tired/wired problems if I took l-carnitine, so I only added that a week ago. I also found that I have to watch out for too much adeno b12 in that regard.

I have worked my way up to:
methylfolate 3,200 in 3 doses
hydroxy b12 3,500 in 2 doses
adeno b12 1,250
L-carnitine fumarate 200
folinic acid 400 mcg
tons of potassium - usually about 4,800 to keep cramps and heart palpitations away

@dannybex Yes, I was on B12 and folate before adding the other Bs. I'd started both folate and B12 on their own, before I understood things, and had what I then thought was detox symptoms, but was clearly deficiency symptoms. I'm using Swanson's B Complex, the equivalent of a 25mg B Complex, split into 1/2 AM/midday. It's the only one I've found that's both low dose and has the activated forms:
http://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson-ultra-activated-b-complex-high-bioavailability-60-veg-caps
Question for you- I have been on 800 mcg of methyl folate and 1000 mcg of hydroxy b12 for probably two years. I am sensitive to b vitamins so inwasnt taking them. I'm wanting to work on liver detox so decided to start b vitamins very low. I got the pure formulas liquid b because it was all I could find where I could take a small dose. It contains methylcobalamine. I was told not to take methylcobalamine and I do not know why but- figured a tiny dose couldn't hurt. I was taking 1/4 of the dose which amounts to about 125 mcg. After about a week and a half I've crashed. I've been sick now for about two weeks. Not sure exactly what it is but slowly getting better off of the b vitamin. I have also taken adenosyl with no issues. Anyone had trouble with methylcobalamine? I had no issues with methylfolate. Seems backwards from what I am hearing you guys report.

ahmo

@Akhess01
i_dunno-1374.gif

Jimbo39

@Akhess01 I hear you. I crashed recently when I went from 2.5 mg M12 to 5. I don't know why this is. @ahmo You mentioned detox symptoms. This is how I felt. It was like my body's immune system suddenly kicked in and I started herxing. This is just conjecture but the flu like symptoms seem to confirm it. So I feel it's a good sign. We're giving the body what it needs to reach homeostatis. To me it's a matter of how much I can tolerate the negative side effects.

LisaGoddard

I take 5 mg Folate, 1 mg AdenoB12 and a whopping 12mg of mB12!!

I've played around with doses and tried to judge the right levels by the symptoms:
I know when I've taken too much folate as I feel wired and it's hard to fall asleep.
If I drop my B12 too low, I get even more tired and pale. Also my social phobias return.

I was kind of surprised at the high levels of adenoB12 that people are taking and wonder if I'm missing something. Should I reduce the mB12 and increase aB12, I wonder.

Jimbo39

I take 5 mg Folate, 1 mg AdenoB12 and a whopping 12mg of mB12!!

It's great you're able to tolerate that amount of M12. Is it oral or sublingual? Are you taking B2 and 6? I've found I need to take twice as much folate than MB12 and it seems to dampen stimulating symptoms. We're all so different.

I was kind of surprised at the high levels of adenoB12 that people are taking and wonder if I'm missing something

This is the million dollar question. I'm constantly asking myself what I'm missing. Lately, I've been thinking about copper and boron.

LisaGoddard

I take sublingual mB12 (Solgar). I'm going to try increasing my adenoB12 and see if I cut down the mB12. I take Biocare's B-plex (3 a day) which has all the Bs except B12 so keeps the B balance.

I had to adjust my intake of trace minerals such as copper - Thorne Research's trace minerals seems to be a good brand.

Wow! I mentioned three brand names in this short post - I sound like an advert!