• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How much bioactive B's is it safe to take?

I'm new to this forum and I'm sure this has been talked about but it's extremely hard for me to read for long periods of time.

I have been doing Dr Yasko's protocol and I'm taking bioactive B6, B9 and B12 (P5P, 5-MTHF and Methylcobalamin).

I'm currently taking 60mg P5P and 1mg of 5-MTHF and also Methylcobalamin per day. I'm taking that because firstly I have HPU/KPU (Kryptopyrroluria) so I'm dumping B6 and I'm taking active forms of B9 and B12 because I'm trying to methylate.

How much of these B vitamins do you take?

stridor

Everyone needs their own individual recipe when it comes to these things. People are not ignoring your question - it's just that their answers won't help you to move forward. I have a huge need for mB12 for example and that isn't going to help you figure out your needs.
B6, as you have no doubt read, is one of the B vitamins that can be over done. You'd have to exceed 200 mg/day or so to do that however. The amounts of mfolate and mB12 that you are taking are very reasonable. You have room to move up to find your most effective dose. mfolate is taken at 15 mg a day to treat depression. mB12 has not appreciable upper range. Some people with certain genes find that they have to titrate slowly.
Consider adding B2. More methylation will increase demand for it. brad

Thanks for your answer! I'll try slowly adding some more methylfolate and methylcobalamin to see what happens. I know some say that you can get so called excitatory response if you've taken too much. That way you can know I guess.

stridor

Peoples response to this differ as well. I think MTHFR.support describes the symptoms of over-methylation. Excitation is not universal, I'm thinking. For me, I head back into more brain-fog again. Some of us carry niacin with us as it is a methyl receiver.
brad