• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How Many with Hashimoto's take Zinc, Calcium and Iodine Supplements

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
I was thinking about the difference between my sister and I. Hashimoto's disease seems to run in our family. My mom had it and we developed it within a few years of each other. She uses synthroid also, but her doctor told her to take lots of zinc, calcium (12 to 15 Tums a day) and Iodine. She does not have fibromyalgia or CFS. I do and it started about the time I started taking synthroid.

I was reading about a calcium channel blocker they use to treat cholesterol today. It is called Amlodipine besylate. It turns out that many people who are taking Amlodipine are developing Fibromyalgia.

If your calcium channel is blocked you cannot create Superoxide dismutase or Gluthione--two antioxidants that prevent free radical damage and oxidative stress within your body. Gluthione is actually an antioxidant within your cells Without it, your cells become inflammed and die quicker. Your body also needs zinc to produce superoxide dismutase.

There are several studies a person can look up on google scholar that claim they have measured superoxide dismutase and gluthione levels in people with fibromyalgia and they are much lower than control groups.

What if this whole time, some of us with Hashimoto's are sick because we do not have enough zinc or calcium? And, if we took these we could get better?

I just ordered lots of zinc and calcium along with superoxide dismustase, gluthione, quercetin, Vitamin E and C (All antioxidants). I will let you know if it works.

jeffrez

Iodine is controversial at best with Hashimoto's. I believe most sources say not to take it, unless perhaps you are geniunely deficient. Even then, it can very possibly aggravate the condition. Most people with Hashimoto's probably should be taking selenium, not iodine.

High dose C, vitamin E, zinc and calcium are all usually good ideas. Glutathione and SOD are unlikely to be of much use, as only negligible amounts - if any, in the case of SOD - are likely to be absorbed when taken orally. I think there are sublingual SOD products now, but I'm not sure how effective those are, either. It's probably a better strategy in both cases to increase one's own production instead, primarily through repair of methylation, with proper mineral and nutrient balance, or in the case of glutathione, through precursors like NAC, milk thistle, whey, etc.

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
Iodine is controversial at best with Hashimoto's. I believe most sources say not to take it, unless perhaps you are geniunely deficient. Even then, it can very possibly aggravate the condition. Most people with Hashimoto's probably should be taking selenium, not iodine.

High dose C, vitamin E, zinc and calcium are all usually good ideas. Glutathione and SOD are unlikely to be of much use, as only negligible amounts - if any, in the case of SOD - are likely to be absorbed when taken orally. I think there are sublingual SOD products now, but I'm not sure how effective those are, either. It's probably a better strategy in both cases to increase one's own production instead, primarily through repair of methylation, with proper mineral and nutrient balance, or in the case of glutathione, through precursors like NAC, milk thistle, whey, etc.

I was just reading about Glutathione. Apparently, like you said, oral supplements are useless because after they go through the digestive system they can't be absorbed by the blood stream? They say to use it in a nebulizer or in suppository form. Have you ever used it through a nebulizer or suppository? I am wondering if it actually works this way.

I've also read that Milk Thistle blocks a liver enzyme and can be harmful if you are also taking NSAIDS or Opiates. What do you think?

Mercury, fluoride, chloride, and bromide are also bad for the thyroid. Mercury is in dental fillings. Fluoride and chloride are in tap water, and bromide is in bread. They replace iodine.

I hate to tell you this, but most "ceramic" "white" fillings contain fluoride and barium also... I extracted them and have been improving... and am working on Iodine right now...

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
So, I tried a supplement my husband was taking. Soon after taking it, I noticed my lymph nodes around my thyroid were swollen. I did some reading on google scholar to try and figure out what was going on. Apparently, if you have Hashimoto's disease with TPO antibodies, are low on selenium, and have excess iodine, it triggers your thyroid to create more TPO. In turn, this means your immune system will go into overdrive and attack the thyroid. Your were right Jeffez. I am going to take more selenium and less iodine.