• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How many positive XMRV studies have there been?

currer

In the UK it is widely stated that there have been no studies that have replicated the WPI findings on XMRV. I know that several researchers have in fact succeeded in finding XMRV. In Britain the official cumulative total never gets beyond 0.
I would just like to know how many studies have successfully found XMRV. Has anyone been keeping track of this?

Esther12

In CFS, there's only been the Alter one - which only semi found XMRV.

Alter said it was highly confirmatory of the Science paper, but others have disputed that. We also keep hearing word of positive studies, but none have been properly published yet. It does seem like concerns over possible contamination has made it harder for positive studies to get published, but without seeing all the details it's difficult for us to know what's going on... maybe the studies weren't thorough enough - or even realised their positive result was the result of contamination. McClure's once positive prostate cancer study was eventually published as a contamination study.

ukxmrv

What would you like listed. Published studies, unpublished ones as posters at conferences? CFS, prostate cancer, blood donors or other?

currer

Hi thanks for your responses.
I would like all positive findings of xmrv - it doesn't matter if they are published or not and I am interested in prostate cancer and breast cancer too.
I thought Emory found it - was that prostate cancer?
Also I remember a positive german study and a positive japanese study.
Can anyone give me the links? I feel a dope for not keeping better records of all this at the time.
Blood working group positive findings will also be useful.

Do we not keep an archive of this sort of material on PR? If not, perhaps we should.

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
Published studies in CFS = 0 (except for the original one). Alter/Lo didn't find XMRV - they found an pMLV sequence that they felt might fit into the XMRV family and thus might fit but it was not XMRV. Ditto with Hansen.

Unpublished, reported studies - off the top of my head, the WPI UK study, De Meirleir, Cheney (using VIP Dx) ????? A Spanish group mentioned finding it (perhaps) but didn't report that at that Conference I don't believe. Any others?

There was one study that found it in respiratory secretions (not in CFS) and a Japanese study reported at a conference. Since then a published Japanese study did not find it in CFS.

ukxmrv

Dr Ruscetti was on the original Science paper. He was involved (I think) with the UK XMRV study but that has not been published yet. Probably other unpublished papers that we don't know about.

For more info on current XMRV work by Sandra and Frank Ruscetti look here and scroll down to "Cancer and Neuroimmune Diseases Induced by the Human Retrovirus XMRV"

http://ccr.cancer.gov/Staff/staff.asp?profileid=5518

Also work by Frank Ruscetti on the BWG (scroll down to "Serology only done by CDC & NCI/Ruscetti")

http://www.mecfsforums.com/wiki/Blood_XMRV_Scientific_Research_Working_Group

NCI (Ruscetti)

3/4 patients positive for serology & the negative control
Used flow cytometry (similar to that used in Lombardi et al.) expressing spleen focus-forming virus env. It detects anti XMRV antibodies