1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and the Magic of the Canine Factor
There's been plenty of research indicating that having pets is good for your health. I never really noticed any particular benefits to having cats, though that may have had more to do with my cats. They've been fairly indifferent to my presence and we've shared a live-and-let-live...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

How many people have had their 1,25 Vitamin D tested? Debunking the Marshall Protocol

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by Beyond, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Msinnott

Msinnott

Davenport, Iowa
    I realize now that you can take super high doses of vit d but without calcium it isn't going to do as much. Its all based on feedback mechanisms if you are low in calcium and your body senses that its going to send out high levels of pth to raise your calcium levels into the normal range and your body is going to raise the active form of vitamin d 1,25 to compensate.
  2. leokitten

leokitten Senior Member

Washington, DC
    Like a few of you have stated, there are more simple explanations as to why one has low 25-OH D3 and high 1,25-di-OH D3 (calcitriol) and I don't think the Marshall Protocol stated causes for why this happens are correct for most people. It's likely just due to a lack of calcium and that's what you need to fix:

3. Beyond

Beyond 10% of discount in iHerb!--> PEZ915

Murcia, Spain
    Good post, that makes more sense than the BS of Marshall.
    adreno likes this.
  4. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    I did a search for that article and it is here.

It sounds plausible.

A lot of us seem to be dairy-intolerant, but you can be assured that dairy products are by no means necessary for an adequate calcium intake. The following may be of interest (sorry about poor quality).

upload_2014-3-21_11-9-4.png
    WillowJ likes this.
  5. redaxe

redaxe

The Marshall Protocol has been around for years now. If it was as effective as its claimed to be then why aren't we seeing the results?

Also my vit d results from several months ago
    25-OH D: 81 nmol/L (51-140)
    1-25 D: 220 (65-175)
    MeSci likes this.
  6. Msinnott

Msinnott

Davenport, Iowa
    Has anyone started lowering there vitamin d? I was at 5000 for a month and decided to start going a little lower because I felt so much better after the intial herx of lowering vitamin d. I dropped down to 2000 and started taking bromelian. I have been herxing like crazy increased joint and muscle pain. Lymph nodes in neck and arm pits swollen been getting high fever first day of swollen nodes. I am now on day 5 and every day I seem to be getting a little more energy and less pain. I have this chronic pain for a long time.
  7. Leopardtail

Leopardtail Senior Member

England
    You asked if anybody here had low 25,Vit-D and low 1,25 Vit D. I do on both counts.

The picture with inflammation is simple - the immune system uses Vitamin D hence it should be high during inflammation. Converting 25,VitD to 1,25 VitD requires ATP so in severe ME you may well have inflammation and low 1,5 form. Many do in fact have low vitamin D.

A bare adult torso in warm climates produces 10,000IU of vitamin D / hour so supplementing 5,000IU or less is very unlikely to do harm. Worries about high Vitamin D were caused by extreme examples of overdosing.

It's most worth trying if you never get outdoors, or if you get much worse in winter. I would consider it more risky if you had high 0,25 Vit D rather than normal.
    amaru7 likes this.
  8. leokitten

leokitten Senior Member

Washington, DC
  9. cigana

cigana Senior Member

UK
    I have high 1,25 Di-OH Vit D at 99.4 (20.0-75.0).
  10. amaru7

amaru7 Senior Member

EU
    I don't think much of Marshall, he's not even a medical doctor and he is alone in his theories. Vitamin D has been researched extremely well and is never proven to do harm. To me the guru in Vitamin D is always Professor holick. He has been one of the foremost researchers in this and I like his lectures very much, because he's entertaining and informative at the same time
    Leopardtail likes this.
  11. Msinnott

Msinnott

Davenport, Iowa
    Well since lowering my vitamin d my 25oh levels are now 60. When they were only 50 on 10,000 iui vit d. I also have been taking mk7. I am going to try dropping my vitamin d down 2500iui since it's summer time now. Sometimes more isn't always better. Who knew I needed less to get my levels up where they needed to be.
  12. Leopardtail

England
    I was reading in williams yesterday that Vitamin D goes up with hypothyroidism, seems kinda weird but c'est la vie
    cigana likes this.
  13. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    Which type of Vitamin D goes up? How does hypothyroidism affect the balance between the two types?
    cigana likes this.
  14. cigana

cigana Senior Member

UK
    Had my thyroid hormones tested a few times (T4,T3, free T4, TSH, reverse T3), everything's fine. Also tried a course of T3.
  15. Leopardtail

England
    The text indicated that the conversion of 0,25 Vitamin D (storage form) to 1,25 Vitamin D (active form) was upregulated. It gave no indication of whether 0.25 Vitamin was replaced or lowered.
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2014

See more popular forum discussions.