• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How many MTHFR SNPs are there?

Mr. Cat

I just called 23&Me, and asked about the rumor they were testing for fewer SNPs, and especially if MTHFR SNPs would be affected. They polite man who answered the phone said that yes, they were now testing for fewer SNPs in general, and that they were now testing for 63 MTHFR SNPs. He thought this was the same number as before, but wasn't certain. Anyone know how many they were testing for before?

Thanks!

taniaaust1

I thought the raw data at 23andME was ones complete DNA profile?

23andME never has reported MTHFR mutations and to find those out one had to take the raw data from there and run it throu other sites online to see if you had things like MTHFR eg C677T mutation etc (unless one knew exactly what to look up in the raw data).

Sea

I thought the raw data at 23andME was ones complete DNA profile?

I wish! but no, they tested about 960 000 snps which is only a small portion of our whole genome. They will be dropping that to about 600 000. I don't know how relevant the ones are that they're not testing anymore.