Julie Rehmeyer's 'Through the Shadowlands'
Writer Never Give Up talks about Julie Rehmeyer's new book "Through the Shadowlands: A Science Writer's Odyssey into an Illness Science Doesn't Understand" and shares an interview with Julie ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

How many billion cfu's in a cup of yogurt ?

Discussion in 'The Gut: De Meirleir & Maes; H2S; Leaky Gut' started by Bansaw, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Bansaw

Bansaw Senior Member

Actually two questions...

1) How many billion cfus of bacteria in a 24hr fermented cup of yogurt?

2) How many billion cfus of bacteria in a 24hr fermented cup of raw milk yogurt that has not been boiled before hand?

In my internet searches, I seem to be reading of people saying 750 billion. This seems a lot, is it true?
    My doc wants me on a 100 billion per day probiotic.... but why not just use yogurt?

2. helen1

helen1 Senior Member

Canada
    Yogurt only contains the lactobacilli strains of probiotic. None of the bifido strains or the many other types that are helpful to some. If you are low in lactobacilli and high in bifidos, yogurt would probably be a good idea for you.

3. minkeygirl

minkeygirl But I Look So Good.

Left Coast
    Yogurt also has a ton of sugar. Maybe don't need that.

4. Bansaw

Bansaw Senior Member

I'm looking at making my own raw milk yogurt (in fact I have some fermenting now) No sugar and all the raw milk good bacteria present. I'm just wondering how many CFUs are in a cup serving?
    I read online 750Billion.
    Whats the advantage of buying a really expensive pill online versus making your own yogurt?

5. helen1

helen1 Senior Member

Canada
    The advantage of buying pills is you can find different strains not in yogurt.

AaroninOregon likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.