• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How Long to Give Dr. Dantini Protocol?

I've been working with Dr. Dantini for about six months. I love him and his nurse, Jo. They couldn't be more supportive. But I've been taking the Valtrex 3000 mg per day at full dose for nearly five months. I definitely saw improvement.

But now, I'm in a big flare up and they insist that I will need to take the meds for probably a year. They say if I get off it now, I'll revert to where I was before.

My gut feeling is that it's time to get off the drug, but I'm scared that they are right. My flare up isn't quite as severe as it used to be. Still, I'm feeling concerned about taking this level of anti-viral for this long.

I guess I'm wondering what would be the worst that would happen if I got off it to see how I do?

And I wonder if there is anyone who has gone through it and stayed the course. I would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,
Susan

Daffodil

@lyonsden10 ..hi susan. did you have very high EBV antibodies? i took valtrex for many years. as long as you are getting regular liver/kidney bloodwork and drinking lots of water, it is a very safe drug.
personally, if i saw benefit, i would definitely keep taking it, if i were you. the flare up could be from "die off" or something else, but i would guess it isn't from the valtrex itself.
xo

Hi Daffodil, thanks so much. I didn't think it was from the Valtrex. Just wondering if it's worth continuing to take since I did get flared up. I really appreciated your reassurance about the medication. Maybe it is die off.

Thanks again,
Susan