• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How long does Chromium take to work?

outdamnspot

For those who've successfully used Chromium for blood sugar/appetite problems, I was wondering if it worked instantly or if there was some time until improvement was seen? I've been struggling with these symptoms a lot lately. I actually have three different chromium forms at home -- GTF, Polynicotinate, and a combination of Chromium Chloride, Gymnema and Cinnamon. My inclination is to not wanna make anything worse, since the hunger episodes are so bad, but I am quite prone to placebo effects, so wanted to give the Chromium a decent shot ..

whodathunkit

Good thing about blood sugar problems is that they're objective. Unless you've got a defective glucose meter, it doesn't lie. Either your sugar is positively affected by something you're taking, or it isn't. Placebo effect shouldn't enter into it unless you're just going on the way you feel as your blood sugar barometer. Blood sugar is the only thing I don't recommend going on the way you feel as a way to gage, at least whether or not it's high. YMMV. Low blood sugar is a bit easier to gage on symptoms, though. Are you high or low?

Anyway, chromium never made a noticeable difference in my blood sugar (I'm hyperglycemic) or the way I feel. I take GTF on faith, because we need chromium. I experimented with different dosages for a while before deciding it didn't do anything for me, though.

Resistant starch, probiotics, and a whole foods diet without added omega-6 fat is the only thing that's ever made a lasting beneficial difference in my blood sugar. I actually have hope I'll be normal by this time next year. But it's a long haul process. If you're low blood sugar you might be a little different, although I think some low blood sugar people like @Sidereal have had good results with gut therapy, too.

Last edited: