Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

How long do you need to take a probiotic before the bacteria becomes established in your intestines

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by pizzahead, Apr 7, 2016.

1. pizzahead

pizzahead

How long do you need to take a probiotic before the bacteria becomes established in your intestines and you can stop taking it?

2. morse27

morse27 Senior Member

NORTH of FRANCE
    its necessary to take different probiotic 8 month to see improvment(change every 15 days)

you cant stop taking this therapy , if you have some benefits , continue for life .....

MYSTIC likes this.
  3. Sea

Sea Senior Member

NSW Australia
    It varies. For some people whose microbiome has been depleted by antibiotics a short course of probiotics is all that is needed. Some people need to continually provide the microbiome with probiotics and some need to focus on a prebiotic as well.

My son-in-law has been taking good quality high strength probiotics for a year and a recent stool test showed a reduction in bad bacteria but still an incredibly low count of friendly bacteria.

4. Richard7

Richard7 Senior Member

Australia
    Most probiotic bacteria wont become established in your gut.

according to this blog post, transient probiotic bacteria are useful because they can provide some of the functions of a healthy gut during their transit. http://coolinginflammation.blogspot.com.au/2014/01/gut-flora-risk-and-repair.html

When it comes to establishing them, I gather that the most important thing that we can control is giving them the right food, the right kinds of fibre to live on.

(The thing we cannot control is how the bacteria already in the gut will react to them. I recently glanced at a paper talking about how listeria could stop some probiotic bacteria or other from establishing itself.)

Sea likes this.
  5. helen1

helen1 Senior Member

Canada
    Yes, many probiotics are transient and won't colonize your gut. Some probiotics do colonize the gut, there's lists if you google for it.

Sea likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.