• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How long did it take you to get a diagnosis of ME/CFS from a doctor?

charles shepherd

How long did it take you to get a firm diagnosis of ME/CFS: MEA website poll for September

This month's MEA website poll is asking how long it took from the initial onset of symptoms to get a firm diagnosis of ME/CFS from a doctor

Vote via the MEA website home page at:
http://www.meassociation.org.uk

Why are we asking this question:
http://www.meassociation.org.uk/201...get-a-firm-diagnosis-of-mecfs-31-august-2015/

Current votes:
The MEA Quick Survey

• How long did it take between the onset of your symptoms and a firm diagnosis of ME/CFS being made by a doctor?
    • Less than 3 months (2%, 2 Votes)

• 3 – 6 months (8%, 7 Votes)

• 6 – 12 months (21%, 18 Votes)

• 12 – 18 months (12%, 10 Votes)

• 18 months - 2 years (14%, 12 Votes)

• 2 – 4 years (13%, 11 Votes)

• 5 years or more (26%, 22 Votes)

• Never had a doctor diagnosis (5%, 4 Votes)

• Awaiting a diagnosis (0%, 0 Votes)

Total Voters: 86

msf

1 year, 8 months and counting...and I have been a patient of KDM for over a year.

charles shepherd

@charles shepherd

So is this ONLY for UK people or are they looking at the whole planet?

GG

Thanks - I forgot to mention that as this survey links in with our Xmas fundraising campaign, which will provide some straight to the point educational material here in the UK for doctors and patients aimed at improving early and accurate diagnosis, it is just for UK residents on this occasion.

Countrygirl

Thanks for posting. I missed the poll but have voted now, but couldn't find a box for 15 years :) so five or more will have to do.

wdb

It was over 5 years for me but I wasn't really pushing for a diagnosis as all that really means is that they have given up looking for anything treatable.

barbc56

I was diagnosed within three months of breaking my arm with Fibromyalgia which was the start of this debacle. It was a difficult and complicated. fracture. I had never experienced that particular type of pain before. That was 12 years ago. I've always wondered if I hadn't broken my arm if I would have been diagnosed so quickly.

Somewhere along the line CFS. I finally found the paperwork a few months ago as I was organizing my medical records, but now can't remember the year. But the CFS dropped off, this sometimes happens in the states where FM is more recognized.

So I have no idea if I have me/cfs. All I know is that it's close enough because of the symptoms and there are days I can hardly get out of bed, but I'm not bedbound.

It must have been pure hell for those whose diagnosis was in the netherlands hinterlands for so long.
Blech! Pooey! Pooey!

Barb

ETA Apologies if this thread is Brits only. :whistle: :lol:

Apple

<6 months.
I tested positive for glandular fever at 15 and didn't get better, therefore I had CFS. No further testing beyond the basic bloods. No help/support beyond the offer of antidepressants or CBT ever since. Have to fight incredibly hard to get anyone to look beyond the diagnosis. Now 25 years old and 90% housebound. Yay NHS.

Last edited:

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
would be nice to have a box for longer than 5 years - took me about 17 years to get a dx, only to then find out I also have Lyme and co. The state of testing and diagnosing in the UK is appalling everywhere and the misdiagnosis rate is a scandal! there may have been some hope of recovering if I had been properly tested 20 years ago, but now my system is so messed up who knows what the rest of my life will be like.

charles shepherd

would be nice to have a box for longer than 5 years - took me about 17 years to get a dx, only to then find out I also have Lyme and co. The state of testing and diagnosing in the UK is appalling everywhere and the misdiagnosis rate is a scandal! there may have been some hope of recovering if I had been properly tested 20 years ago, but now my system is so messed up who knows what the rest of my life will be like.

Yes, there ought to be a few more options in the Answers column but the website tool that we use to create the website poll restricts the number of options to 9!

2Cor.12:9

@charles shepherd - I hope it was okay that I voted (under 3 months) because it was 29 years ago before they called if CFS. In my area it was called "The Yuppie Flu" and the Dr. called it "Chronic Epstein Barr Virus." She said it would take about 18 months to recover - but I'm still sick.