• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How long before low dose naltrexone works?

SDSue

Southeast
Halved my LDN dose and tried again last night. I had difficulty getting to sleep (awake til nearly 3 am) but when I slept, I slept hard….. untiil 1 pm. I'll let you know how I feel when I actually wake up lol.

Is it mandatory to dose at bedtime, or would it hurt to take the LDN earlier in the evening and maybe avoid the insomnia?

Attachments

• 616o+3JYx3L._SL1500_.jpg
    616o+3JYx3L._SL1500_.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 9

bertiedog

@SDSue I have been on just 1 mg LDN since 18 June and it started to help within 4 weeks. I noticed much better energy and mood and as time has gone on this has continued and I haven't had a migraine for over 2 weeks whereas I had them almost daily. The only time I haven't done well is when I am herxing with the herbal treatment for Lyme disease which is the case the last 3 days. I am very sensitive to meds and haven't been able to go above 1 mg but don't seem to need to either.

I have only ever taken it between 8 am - 9 am, it works just as well,

Pam

optimist

Halved my LDN dose and tried again last night. I had difficulty getting to sleep (awake til nearly 3 am) but when I slept, I slept hard….. untiil 1 pm. I'll let you know how I feel when I actually wake up lol.

Is it mandatory to dose at bedtime, or would it hurt to take the LDN earlier in the evening and maybe avoid the insomnia?

The instructions my doctor gave me was to take it at exactly the same time every evening, it had to be after 9pm and before 2am.

Did you take the time to inform yourself about low dose naltrexone?
4,5 mg is the maximum dosage. I could hardly stand 0,25 mg at the start-up the first 4 weeks.

LDN is adding new endorphin receptors. It is impossible to have results after 4 weeks. It is like expecting to be an olympic athlete in 4 weeks time. Your body needs time to heal with the receptors.

I'm sorry, but I think you're terribly incorrect. I started at 3mg and it worked the first day, and still is. I personally know other people who have used it and have received immediate results, although it takes time for others. LDN blocks receptors and causes your body to up it's endorphin production. Also, I think it's wrong to say that most people start at extremely low levels. From everything I've read and people I know, most people start at 3 to 4.5 mg. I've had ME/CFS for more than 8 years and so far, this is among the most significant improvements.

*GG*

I'm sorry, but I think you're terribly incorrect. I started at 3mg and it worked the first day, and still is. I personally know other people who have used it and have received immediate results, although it takes time for others. LDN blocks receptors and causes your body to up it's endorphin production.

Also, I think it's wrong to say that most people start at extremely low levels. From everything I've read and people I know, most people start at 3 to 4.5 mg. I've had ME/CFS for more than 8 years and so far, this is among the most significant improvements.

Yeah, I didn't start at a low level, started in a crash, dialed it down/off for a few weeks, then slowly tapered up by 1.5 mg increments.

GG

PS glad it has helped you, I've been on it since 2009, never stopped purposely, I think I forgot it in my sleep meds for a week. Think I did notice a little something negative while being off it, not sure what that was though now :(

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
I will be starting LDN on Monday (Aug 17).
After some reading up my only question is: do people here have an opinion on when is the best time of day to take LDN?

The Dr has prescribed 1.25mg dose. I plan to take only a fraction of that at first as I am feeling like crap already, I don't need any adverse reactions.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
After some reading up my only question is: do people here have an opinion on when is the best time of day to take LDN?
The old standard information said to take it at bedtime. I think it was Bihari's thought that endorphins get "made" about 3 am and you would want the receptors blocked then so you would make more. I read that he later changed that theory and said that it didn't make a difference when you took it.

From a purely practical point of view:
1) At first you are likely to have transient insomnia so some prefer to take it in the morning
2) But, taking it while you are awake gives some the blues cause the endorphin receptors are blocked.

It is probably one of those things you will need to experiment with yourself.

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
Thanks Sushi, I'll take it first in the AM and see how that goes then can move it to PM if my generally sunny mood :angel:craps out.

Clerner

o not try 4.5 mgs in the beginning--it could make you very sick. Most people start with between .5 mg and 1.5 mg and take several months to slowly work up to 4.5 mg.

Please don't start with that much even if your doctor suggested it. When I say it could make you sick I mean "go to the hospital" sick.
@Sushi Dr gave only 4.5 mg capsules of ldn. I will slowly work my way up. If I open capsule, how much water do I put it in? Then I can measure out .75 in syringe for six doses? Is this the way to do this? I am a bit scared! Thanks!