The Power and Pitfalls of Omics: George Davey Smith’s storming talk at ME/CFS conference
Read about the talk that stole the show at a recent ME/CFS conference in Simon McGrath's two-part blog.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

How long before low dose naltrexone works?

Discussion in 'Alternative Therapies' started by LJBluesky, Sep 30, 2013.

1. SDSue

SDSue Southeast

Florida
    Halved my LDN dose and tried again last night. I had difficulty getting to sleep (awake til nearly 3 am) but when I slept, I slept hard….. untiil 1 pm. I'll let you know how I feel when I actually wake up lol.

Is it mandatory to dose at bedtime, or would it hurt to take the LDN earlier in the evening and maybe avoid the insomnia?

Attached Files:

2. bertiedog

bertiedog Senior Member

South East England, UK
    @SDSue I have been on just 1 mg LDN since 18 June and it started to help within 4 weeks. I noticed much better energy and mood and as time has gone on this has continued and I haven't had a migraine for over 2 weeks whereas I had them almost daily. The only time I haven't done well is when I am herxing with the herbal treatment for Lyme disease which is the case the last 3 days. I am very sensitive to meds and haven't been able to go above 1 mg but don't seem to need to either.

I have only ever taken it between 8 am - 9 am, it works just as well,

Pam

SDSue likes this.
  3. optimist

optimist Senior Member

Norway
    The instructions my doctor gave me was to take it at exactly the same time every evening, it had to be after 9pm and before 2am.

SDSue likes this.
  4. not-crushed

not-crushed

I'm sorry, but I think you're terribly incorrect. I started at 3mg and it worked the first day, and still is. I personally know other people who have used it and have received immediate results, although it takes time for others. LDN blocks receptors and causes your body to up it's endorphin production. Also, I think it's wrong to say that most people start at extremely low levels. From everything I've read and people I know, most people start at 3 to 4.5 mg. I've had ME/CFS for more than 8 years and so far, this is among the most significant improvements.

*GG* likes this.
  5. *GG*

*GG* $10 gift code at iHerb GAS343 of $40

Concord, NH
    Yeah, I didn't start at a low level, started in a crash, dialed it down/off for a few weeks, then slowly tapered up by 1.5 mg increments.

GG

PS glad it has helped you, I've been on it since 2009, never stopped purposely, I think I forgot it in my sleep meds for a week. Think I did notice a little something negative while being off it, not sure what that was though now :(

6. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Vexacious, thy name is PACE

Toronto
    I will be starting LDN on Monday (Aug 17).
    After some reading up my only question is: do people here have an opinion on when is the best time of day to take LDN?

The Dr has prescribed 1.25mg dose. I plan to take only a fraction of that at first as I am feeling like crap already, I don't need any adverse reactions.

7. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    The old standard information said to take it at bedtime. I think it was Bihari's thought that endorphins get "made" about 3 am and you would want the receptors blocked then so you would make more. I read that he later changed that theory and said that it didn't make a difference when you took it.

From a purely practical point of view:
    1) At first you are likely to have transient insomnia so some prefer to take it in the morning
    2) But, taking it while you are awake gives some the blues cause the endorphin receptors are blocked.

It is probably one of those things you will need to experiment with yourself.

Clerner and Snowdrop like this.
  8. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Vexacious, thy name is PACE

Toronto
    Thanks Sushi, I'll take it first in the AM and see how that goes then can move it to PM if my generally sunny mood :angel:craps out.

Sushi likes this.
  9. Clerner

Clerner Senior Member

Sarasota Florida
    @Sushi Dr gave only 4.5 mg capsules of ldn. I will slowly work my way up. If I open capsule, how much water do I put it in? Then I can measure out .75 in syringe for six doses? Is this the way to do this? I am a bit scared! Thanks!

10. Firefly_

Firefly_ Senior Member

Oklahoma, USA
    My brain is foggy but if you put in 9 ml of water then each ml dose would be .5 mg of ldn, yeah?

Clerner likes this.
  11. minkeygirl

minkeygirl But I Look So Good.

Left Coast
    @Firefly_ NO!!! If you are using 50 mg tablets then 100 ml would be .5 I think. 50 ml = 1 mg per 1 ml. So 100 ml would be .5?

9 ml is HUGE dose

12. Clerner

Clerner Senior Member

Sarasota Florida
    @Firefly_ so 9 ml is 1.8 teaspoons. Sounds right. I will just use the syringe to pull 9 ml liter in glass

13. Firefly_

Firefly_ Senior Member

Oklahoma, USA
    I believe he said his dr game him 4.5 mg capsules so if he opens them and dilutes it in 9 ml of water then each ml dose would be .5 mg.

Clerner likes this.
  14. Clerner

Clerner Senior Member

Sarasota Florida
  15. minkeygirl

minkeygirl But I Look So Good.

Left Coast
    I didn't read past your comment. I thought you were talking about a 50 mg tablet. Ignore me.

Odd numbers make my brain explode.

Clerner likes this.
  16. Clerner

Clerner Senior Member

Sarasota Florida
    @Firefly_ yes, that will give me 9 doses of the
    .5 when I withdraw 1 ml. Right?

17. Firefly_

Firefly_ Senior Member

Oklahoma, USA
    That's what I do, although in my case I dilute 50 mg in 50 ml of water then pull out 4.5 ml with a medicine syringe.

Clerner likes this.
  18. Clerner

Clerner Senior Member

Sarasota Florida
    Lol, I knew this would be hard. I am not a math person.

19. Firefly_

Firefly_ Senior Member

Oklahoma, USA
    Yes

Clerner likes this.
  20. Firefly_

Firefly_ Senior Member

Oklahoma, USA
    Lol minkeygirl I totally understand. As I just woke up a little over an hour ago cause I'm in a not sleeping at night stage I did have to go back and double check his posts. Never know about myself sometimes.

minkeygirl and Clerner like this.

See more popular forum discussions.