1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Join the National PR Campaign for ME: Power to the Patient (P2tP)
Have you had enough of all the neglect and abuse of ME/CFS patients? Gabby Klein says now is the time for a National PR Campaign for ME/CFS to impress a change. Join the Patient Revolution to restore power to ME patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

How long before low dose naltrexone works?

Discussion in 'Alternative Therapies' started by LJBluesky, Sep 30, 2013.

1. LJBluesky

LJBluesky

Orlando
    Hi,
    I am going to be trying low dose naltrexone, 4.5 mg. How long should I take it to give it a fair try? I have a month's worth. Thanks!

2. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    WARNING!

Do not try 4.5 mgs in the beginning--it could make you very sick. Most people start with between .5 mg and 1.5 mg and take several months to slowly work up to 4.5 mg.

Please don't start with that much even if your doctor suggested it. When I say it could make you sick I mean "go to the hospital" sick.

Best,
    Sushi

Helen and SickOfSickness like this.
  3. Marlène

Marlène Senior Member

Edegem, Belgium
    Did you take the time to inform yourself about low dose naltrexone?
    4,5 mg is the maximum dosage. I could hardly stand 0,25 mg at the start-up the first 4 weeks.

LDN is adding new endorphin receptors. It is impossible to have results after 4 weeks. It is like expecting to be an olympic athlete in 4 weeks time. Your body needs time to heal with the receptors.

SickOfSickness likes this.
  4. minkeygirl

minkeygirl Narcissism = lack of self awareness

Left Coast
    You know, years ago a doc had me take LDN. I forget the dose but I had capsules compounded. Maybe 3.5 mgs. They kept me up all night. I KNOW i did not start low and build up but I don't think I got sick from them.

5. Sushi

Albuquerque

Glad you didn't get sick!
    But some get a sudden immune response. One friend tried 1.5 mg the first day--felt good. Next day 3 mg and in the hospital the next day with a fever of 104.

Sushi

6. minkeygirl

minkeygirl Narcissism = lack of self awareness

Left Coast
    Me too. And the doc I was seeing was into stuff like this. It was his suggestion. Go figure.

7. Marlène

Marlène Senior Member

Edegem, Belgium
    The pain was u.n.b.e.a.r.a.b.l.e for weeks when I first started at 0,50 mg. the doctor did not believe it was the LDN.
    I had to stop a month and motivate myself to try again at 0,25 mg.

I would never advise to start at 4,5 mg when you have ME.

8. LJBluesky

LJBluesky

Orlando
    Thanks everyone. I will take it slow. How long before anyone had good results on LDN?

9. Sushi

Albuquerque
    I "felt better" the very next day, but full effects take up to 6 months.

Best,
    Sushi

10. Marlène

Marlène Senior Member

Edegem, Belgium
    The first 6 months were very tough but after a year quality of life was much better.

11. madietodd

madietodd Senior Member

East Coast, USA
    I just got some 50mg tablets of naltrexone. They're scored, so I'll be starting with a 25mg size. Who's got a brilliant, easy way to turn 25mg into 50 doses?

Do I need to use distilled water? Does it have to be kept in the fridge? How do you crush it superfine?

I'm taking this as a sleep aid. I hear of people taking it in the morning, and also at night. Do you think it's safe to take it at 10 pm my first night? As long as I don't get a panic attack, not sleeping is tolerable if I guess wrong. Or I could just take it in the morning and see what happens.

12. Sushi

Albuquerque

Yes, distilled water, brown glass bottle in the fridge. You can either dissolve it or crush it and then dissolve it.

How much distilled water depends on the dose you are going to use. You will need an accurate way to measure the liquid--pharmacies have thingies!

Personally I would not take it in the a.m. as it will block your opiod receptors for a few hours and that can make feel, well, endorphin-less. :(

Most people get over the insomnia from the initial dose in a few days but often get a few days of insomnia every time they raise the dose until they get up to something like (for me) 3 mgs. After that my sleep was much better. Not getting to sleep but staying asleep as long as I need to.

Good luck!
    Sushi

13. Soundthealarm21

Soundthealarm21 Senior Member

Dallas, TX
    I just started on 3mg last night (first time taking it). If I was going to get sick for taking too much too soon how quickly would it happen?

14. madietodd

madietodd Senior Member

East Coast, USA
    I crushed the tablet, added distilled water, and took a .5mg dose at 10pm. I slept slightly better (so, not worse) and woke up with a very mild frontal headache that went away on its own.

15. Sushi

Albuquerque

No rules on that. 3 mgs is a hefty dose to start with. Try it for a while and see what happens!

Best wishes,
    Sushi

16. Soundthealarm21

Dallas, TX

Thanks so much! It was from here that I read about people starting on too high of a dose. I told my doctor and he lowered it from 4mg to 3mg. Have taken it for two days with nothing good or bad yet.

Question to anyone that would be kind enough to share: What is your NK cell function level?
    Mine is 12 (reference range, 8-170 LU30)

17. madietodd

madietodd Senior Member

East Coast, USA
    My "NK cell activity" is 5.63% (normal is 13% +/- 8).

18. OverTheHills

OverTheHills

New Zealand
    For me it took about 4-6 weeks for LDN effects to really kick in, so unless you have bad side effects I would encourage people not to give up on it too soon.

My NK cell function was 2.23% (normal range 8% +/-5) last year
    OTH

19. OverTheHills

OverTheHills

New Zealand
    Oops make that 2.23% with normal range 13% +/-8. For some reason I can't edit my own posts. OTH

20. Soundthealarm21

Dallas, TX
    I'm definitely expecting the LDN to take a while. I'm just a little more concerned about adverse effects, but after 3 days still nothing. I've actually noticed I'm sleeping a little better. When I wake up in the middle of the night I can get right back to sleep. Still unrefreshing, but more refreshing than not getting the sleep!

My number (NK Cell) compared to y'all's is obviously in a different format so I have no idea how to compare!

See more popular forum discussions.