• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How long before low dose naltrexone works?

Hi,
I am going to be trying low dose naltrexone, 4.5 mg. How long should I take it to give it a fair try? I have a month's worth. Thanks!

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
WARNING!

Do not try 4.5 mgs in the beginning--it could make you very sick. Most people start with between .5 mg and 1.5 mg and take several months to slowly work up to 4.5 mg.

Please don't start with that much even if your doctor suggested it. When I say it could make you sick I mean "go to the hospital" sick.

Best,
Sushi

Marlène

Did you take the time to inform yourself about low dose naltrexone?
4,5 mg is the maximum dosage. I could hardly stand 0,25 mg at the start-up the first 4 weeks.

LDN is adding new endorphin receptors. It is impossible to have results after 4 weeks. It is like expecting to be an olympic athlete in 4 weeks time. Your body needs time to heal with the receptors.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
You know, years ago a doc had me take LDN. I forget the dose but I had capsules compounded. Maybe 3.5 mgs. They kept me up all night. I KNOW i did not start low and build up but I don't think I got sick from them.

Sushi

You know, years ago a doc had me take LDN. I forget the dose but I had capsules compounded. Maybe 3.5 mgs. They kept me up all night. I KNOW i did not start low and build up but I don't think I got sick from them.

Glad you didn't get sick!
But some get a sudden immune response. One friend tried 1.5 mg the first day--felt good. Next day 3 mg and in the hospital the next day with a fever of 104.

Sushi

Marlène

The pain was u.n.b.e.a.r.a.b.l.e for weeks when I first started at 0,50 mg. the doctor did not believe it was the LDN.
I had to stop a month and motivate myself to try again at 0,25 mg.

I would never advise to start at 4,5 mg when you have ME.

maddietod

I just got some 50mg tablets of naltrexone. They're scored, so I'll be starting with a 25mg size. Who's got a brilliant, easy way to turn 25mg into 50 doses?

Do I need to use distilled water? Does it have to be kept in the fridge? How do you crush it superfine?

I'm taking this as a sleep aid. I hear of people taking it in the morning, and also at night. Do you think it's safe to take it at 10 pm my first night? As long as I don't get a panic attack, not sleeping is tolerable if I guess wrong. Or I could just take it in the morning and see what happens.

Sushi

I just got some 50mg tablets of naltrexone. They're scored, so I'll be starting with a 25mg size. Who's got a brilliant, easy way to turn 25mg into 50 doses?

Do I need to use distilled water? Does it have to be kept in the fridge? How do you crush it superfine?

I'm taking this as a sleep aid. I hear of people taking it in the morning, and also at night. Do you think it's safe to take it at 10 pm my first night? As long as I don't get a panic attack, not sleeping is tolerable if I guess wrong. Or I could just take it in the morning and see what happens.

Yes, distilled water, brown glass bottle in the fridge. You can either dissolve it or crush it and then dissolve it.

How much distilled water depends on the dose you are going to use. You will need an accurate way to measure the liquid--pharmacies have thingies!

Personally I would not take it in the a.m. as it will block your opiod receptors for a few hours and that can make feel, well, endorphin-less. :(

Most people get over the insomnia from the initial dose in a few days but often get a few days of insomnia every time they raise the dose until they get up to something like (for me) 3 mgs. After that my sleep was much better. Not getting to sleep but staying asleep as long as I need to.

Good luck!
Sushi

maddietod

I crushed the tablet, added distilled water, and took a .5mg dose at 10pm. I slept slightly better (so, not worse) and woke up with a very mild frontal headache that went away on its own.

Sushi

I just started on 3mg last night (first time taking it). If I was going to get sick for taking too much too soon how quickly would it happen?

No rules on that. 3 mgs is a hefty dose to start with. Try it for a while and see what happens!

Best wishes,
Sushi

Soundthealarm21

No rules on that. 3 mgs is a hefty dose to start with. Try it for a while and see what happens!

Best wishes,
Sushi

Thanks so much! It was from here that I read about people starting on too high of a dose. I told my doctor and he lowered it from 4mg to 3mg. Have taken it for two days with nothing good or bad yet.

Question to anyone that would be kind enough to share: What is your NK cell function level?
Mine is 12 (reference range, 8-170 LU30)

OverTheHills

For me it took about 4-6 weeks for LDN effects to really kick in, so unless you have bad side effects I would encourage people not to give up on it too soon.

My NK cell function was 2.23% (normal range 8% +/-5) last year
OTH

Soundthealarm21

I'm definitely expecting the LDN to take a while. I'm just a little more concerned about adverse effects, but after 3 days still nothing. I've actually noticed I'm sleeping a little better. When I wake up in the middle of the night I can get right back to sleep. Still unrefreshing, but more refreshing than not getting the sleep!

My number (NK Cell) compared to y'all's is obviously in a different format so I have no idea how to compare!