• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How long before I start to see improvment on Valtrex?

tinacarroll27

Hi all! I have been on Valtrex for EBV for a little over 2 months and I am not feeling any better. When I first started taking it, it made me feel horrible (I was taking 1 gram four times a day) so my doctor lowered it to 1 gram twice a day. She now wan't to raise it to four times a day again as my blood test for my kidneys are ok. I always thought that I wouldn't have improvement for many months and that It might even take a year but my doctor seems to think I should be feeling benefits after a couple of months. Does the fact I am not feeling any great benefit from Valtrex after 2 months mean it's not working for me or do I need more time!? Wonder what others think?

All the best!

ukxmrv

I saw benefits from Valtrex at one gram a day within the first week. Didn't feel horrible at all.

Acyclovir though made me feel terrible so I stopped taking it.

No idea why one would work and the other not.

Sorry no good idea. Has your doctor any other drugs to try instead.

tinacarroll27

My doctor hasn't mentioned any other alternative anti virals, just upped the dose. I seem ok on 1 gram twice a day. I was having some really horrible reactions to the Valtrex at the higher dose. I spent a week shaking all over and I thought I was going to have a convulsion. Not a 100% sure it was the Valtrex but it all happened at the same time I started the Valtrex, so I assumed a connection. I guess I will just have to keep going, after been ill for 25 years I suppose I can't expect over night cure in a couple of months. Glad you had some benefits.

me/cfs 27931

It was 3 months at 1.5g three times a day before I began to notice minor improvement, mostly in energy and nasal congestion. Now at 4 months, I'm up to 2g three times a day.

I would say you need more time, and keep expectations low. Like you, I've been ill without treatment (or knowledge of how to manage my symptoms) for several decades.

Montoya at Stanford uses Valcyte. You might ask your doctor about this if you don't respond to Valtrex.

ebethc

My doctor hasn't mentioned any other alternative anti virals, just upped the dose. I seem ok on 1 gram twice a day. I was having some really horrible reactions to the Valtrex at the higher dose. I spent a week shaking all over and I thought I was going to have a convulsion. Not a 100% sure it was the Valtrex but it all happened at the same time I started the Valtrex, so I assumed a connection. I guess I will just have to keep going, after been ill for 25 years I suppose I can't expect over night cure in a couple of months. Glad you had some benefits.

some have had luck w famvir... I haven't tried either, but I have been taking high doses of Olive Leaf Extract, which is a potent natural anti-viral. It's been beneficial, lowered inflammation and a real breakthrough... BUT I've suddenly become extremely sleepy the past few days and have been sleeping a lot... Doesn't seem like a Low BP issue (which can be a problem for some on OLE) because I'm not at all dizzy... Maybe it's stirring up the virus?? Dunno, but I'm still hopeful. If you try it, be sure to get a standardized version (15-20% oleupurins) Pure Encapsulations has a quality OLE.

Do you know which viruses you have? typically:
  • Valtrex and Famvir = EBV
  • Valcyte = HHV-6 & CMV
I have chronic EBV; if I had HHV-6 and/or CMV (both much worse than EBV, from what I've read) I would go for Valcyte. It can take a while to see results, from everything I've read... I believe that around the 2 - 3 month mark, there can often be some indication (even if small) that it's helping you... Hope you're about to have that breakthrough.

tinacarroll27

I have thought of trying olive leaf extract. I was positive for EBV which was very high. All I have had up to now is a worsening of symptoms and was hoping this is a sign the Valtrex is doing something.

ebethc

I have thought of trying olive leaf extract. I was positive for EBV which was very high. All I have had up to now is a worsening of symptoms and was hoping this is a sign the Valtrex is doing something.

have you had any side effects from valtrex? do you notice that it lowers inflammation (if that's a prob for you)? how much does it cost per month at a high dose?

One caveat about OLE: I just read that it can increase thyroid hormone production. I'm hypothyroid, so I don't like to mess w thyroid hormones. at all. that part concerns me. I've read about alternating OLE and oregano oil (one week on OLE, one week on OO), which I believe would help avoid OLE thyroid problems, but I haven't found the protocol yet. The anti-inflammatory properties of OLE are amazing for me... Lowering inflammation is seems to improve everything for me..

tinacarroll27

I've heard some people say they get mood changes and weight gain on Valtrex but I haven't had anything like that. I have had an increase in aches and pains and temperature fluctuations, were I felt I had a fever. It costs me 150 UK pounds a month on 1 gram four times a day( I think that is about $213 in US dollars).
I have always had a slight problem with inflammation, when I fist took ill I had a high ESR. and I managed to get it down a bit with juicing but I still feel there is a lot of inflammation in me.

ebethc

I've heard some people say they get mood changes and weight gain on Valtrex but I haven't had anything like that. I have had an increase in aches and pains and temperature fluctuations, were I felt I had a fever. It costs me 150 UK pounds a month on 1 gram four times a day( I think that is about $213 in US dollars).
I have always had a slight problem with inflammation, when I fist took ill I had a high ESR. and I managed to get it down a bit with juicing but I still feel there is a lot of inflammation in me.

do you know if valtrex worsens the viral symptoms, because it's killing the virus? I'm not clear on whether the purpose of anti-virals is to KILL the virus OR it just beats it back into submission .. thanks!

Groggy Doggy

I have not read any proof that Valtrex will cure you from herpes, but it may prevent herpes sores or blisters. Just like any medication, its wise to fully understand the side effects. And if you get to the point where the side effects are more pronounced than the benefits gained, then it may be time to reevaluate your strategy.

tinacarroll27

I don't think it can kill the virus because once you have a herpes virus you have it for life. I think it reduces the viral load that may be activating the immune system and put the virus to sleep. I got the impression from Dr Myhill who is treating me that you can have a worsening of symptoms. Here is a quote from her website:
"A Herxsheimer response with worsening of symptoms and a worsening score continuing for two to six weeks after treatment began was a good prognostic omen."

http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Valacyclovir_in_the_treatment_of_post_viral_fatigue_syndrome

I was wondering if the worsening for 6 weeks is only when on the full dose, or can you have a worsening of symptoms on any dose? I will have to ask her. Yes I agree there may come a point when side effects are just not worth it!​

ebethc

I don't think it can kill the virus because once you have a herpes virus you have it for life. I think it reduces the viral load that may be activating the immune system and put the virus to sleep. I got the impression from Dr Myhill who is treating me that you can have a worsening of symptoms. Here is a quote from her website:
"A Herxsheimer response with worsening of symptoms and a worsening score continuing for two to six weeks after treatment began was a good prognostic omen."

http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Valacyclovir_in_the_treatment_of_post_viral_fatigue_syndrome

I was wondering if the worsening for 6 weeks is only when on the full dose, or can you have a worsening of symptoms on any dose? I will have to ask her. Yes I agree there may come a point when side effects are just not worth it!​

I took a high quality OLE sporadically for March-April-May and still saw good benefits (lower inflammation, which is like waiving a magic wand over all my symptoms). During the same period, I was taking high doses of good probiotics (prescript assist), too..Starting at the end of May-early June I decided to be more consistent about taking the same OLE dose and taking it every day.... I felt great and, like, Eureka! this is it. Around the same time, I got way more lax w the prescript assist.. then, crashed this past week.. Not hard, but enough to retreat. No aches & pains (which is shocking for me), just sleep...

I don't know if it was the slacking off on prescript assist or upping the OLE, but I'm coming out of it... the sleep felt good. Also, I took 2 prescript assist last night, which always helps me sleep deeply.

I feel like I'm on a good tx now w OLE and Prescript Assist, but I think there are still some ups & downs as your body heals on the right regimen..

tinacarroll27

I feel like I'm on a good tx now w OLE and Prescript Assist, but I think there are still some ups & downs as your body heals on the right regimen..

It can be really hard finding the right treatment. It feels like a hit and miss sometimes but when something works it feels so good!Treating candida with Nystatin really helped me, as did high dose probiotics but the Valtrex seems to be taking longer and I hope I see some improvent eventually. Glade you have found something that works. I need to check if it is safe to mix olive leaf extract with Valtrex? If it is I will give it a go!

ebethc

It can be really hard finding the right treatment. It feels like a hit and miss sometimes but when something works it feels so good!Treating candida with Nystatin really helped me, as did high dose probiotics but the Valtrex seems to be taking longer and I hope I see some improvent eventually. Glade you have found something that works. I need to check if it is safe to mix olive leaf extract with Valtrex? If it is I will give it a go!

yeah, treating Gut + Viruses seems like the best place to start -- 20/20 hindsight!! If you narrow it down to gut + viruses, there's still plenty of trial & error... Nystatin was AWFUL for me... made me so sick, and I stuck it out b/c I thought, "I'll suffer now, but get a big payoff after it's done.. This is just a die-off" NOPE.

tinacarroll27

Yeah Nystatin made me feel sick as well and I had to go very slow. The die off was horrible but my energy went up. Eventually stopped because it wasn't doing anything for me any more and it's expensive and I didn't like the nausea. It was taking home made yogurt that brought the biggest improvement. I wasn't even expecting it to do anything but taste good!!Big surprise!!

ebethc

Yeah Nystatin made me feel sick as well and I had to go very slow. The die off was horrible but my energy went up. Eventually stopped because it wasn't doing anything for me any more and it's expensive and I didn't like the nausea. It was taking home made yogurt that brought the biggest improvement. I wasn't even expecting it to do anything but taste good!!Big surprise!!

soil based organisms ("SBO's") have been a big help... Initially, I had the same feeling I did w nystatin, but only to a very small degree, so I suspect that they kill candida, too. If you're interested, look for the name Prescript Assist, although there are different manufacturers that all make the product, Prescript Assist... Weird.. I get mine via my doc, but you can get another P.A. on amazon and other places..

tinacarroll27

Thanks I will try them out. I have been using Bio-kult and I have had some benefit but they only have 14 strains of bacteria and I noticed Prescript assist seem to have more 29 according to amazon, so I think I will give them a go.

Valtrex takes at least 2 weeks for the break out to clear up. I have herpes simplex on my finger and in the past years if I have had a break out I would have to double my meds during the break out and I would start to see improvement in about a week. I am not sure of your condition but do not expect results overnight.

Last edited:
have you had any side effects from valtrex? do you notice that it lowers inflammation (if that's a prob for you)? how much does it cost per month at a high dose?

One caveat about OLE: I just read that it can increase thyroid hormone production. I'm hypothyroid, so I don't like to mess w thyroid hormones. at all. that part concerns me. I've read about alternating OLE and oregano oil (one week on OLE, one week on OO), which I believe would help avoid OLE thyroid problems, but I haven't found the protocol yet. The anti-inflammatory properties of OLE are amazing for me... Lowering inflammation is seems to improve everything for me..

I have been on Valtrex for a while under Dr Dantini, but he won't do Valcyte. Which OLE brand do you get? how much do you take?

I was a patient of Doc Lerner, we were going to start on Valcyte, but he passed away, so I have only done Valtrex for about 2 year. It did help enormously for EBV, but I have been on the decline for about year.
Thank-you for your reply.