Lipkin's Monster ME/CFS Study: Microbes, Immunity & Big Data
The Microbe Discovery Project outlines an ambitious new study by top researchers that has collected patient samples, but needs desperately funds to complete the work.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

How is paediatric CFS/ME diagnosed & managed by paediatricians? Australian Paediatric Research Study

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Dolphin, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

(Not open access) http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jpc.12677/abstract

Simon likes this.
  2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Can't say I found this particularly exciting.

An annoying thing is what is practised was compared with:
    These are guidelines that are not popular with a lot of patients. They basically take the biopsychosocial view of the illness, recommending CBT and GET, etc.

Valentijn likes this.
  3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

This extract gives an idea where they're coming from:

They do sort of recommend GET as they say it is recommended in current guidelines in Table 6 when listing therapies (slightly oddly CBT isn't marked as such even though they recommend it a few times in the text). "Diet changes/nutritional advice" and "Bed rest" are the two other approaches in Table 6 that they report some clinicians used but which are not recommended by current guidelines (they don't recommend them either).

Valentijn likes this.
  4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

They don't really talk about biopsychosocial explanations explicitly but as I say they promote CBT and GET.

Kathy Rowe (one of the authors) seems to be popular with one or more ME/CFS groups in Australia but I would be concerned if she became too influential esp. in the care of adults. Her approach seems to be mainly about management and CBT-lite. She generally doesn't seem to talk much about physical findings or drugs aimed at dealing with causes. A lot of children get better anyway if they get diagnosed and are not pushed too hard which is probably why her results are reasonable. However, I imagine the same approach would be far less effective e.g. one would see far fewer people getting back to good functioning with adults.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
    Valentijn likes this.
  5. Helen

Helen Senior Member

6. Denise

Denise Senior Member

Thank you for digging into this for us!
    At the IACFS/ME conference in March 2014, they spoke about this study:
    http://www.iacfsme.org/DesktopModules/DigitalDownload/2014Syllabus25.pdf

See more popular forum discussions.