Looking Ahead to Change: Little by Little
I don't make New Year's Resolutions. I don't think I ever really did, but the last decade or two would have been enough to stifle that impulse. I've just been too aware that I don't have that much control over what happens in my life.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

How have selection bias and disease misclassification undermined the validity of myalgic encephalomy

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by AndyPR, Mar 10, 2017.

1. AndyPR

AndyPR Senior Member

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/1359105317695803

I did search but couldn't see this posted on PR yet.

Aroa, slysaint, Esther12 and 19 others like this.
  2. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.

Toronto, Canada
  3. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

The effect seen in PACE is likely an artifact of poor methodology and post-hoc protocol changes, and is comparable in strength to a placebo (the placebo effect size is about 19% for psychological interventions in CFS according to a review by some CBT/GET proponents themselves). The transient nature of this effect and the lack of objective improvements show us that CBT/GET don't even work for a "chronic fatigue" sample. I suspect that a "chronic fatigue" sample is less at risk of GET induced deterioration though.

This said, I think this is an outstanding article. Some of the confusion and uncertainty surrounding this illness is simply due to bad definitions.

Valentijn, MEMum, Hutan and 6 others like this.
  4. charles shepherd

charles shepherd Senior Member

This paper comes from the ME Biobank team at LSHTM and has been published in the Journal of Health Psychology - which seems to be adopting a helpful and constructive approach to the biomedical model of causation and management of ME/CFS

There is more to come!

CS

Kati, Orla, slysaint and 27 others like this.
  5. Barry53

Barry53 Senior Member

UK
    [My italics/underline]
    A nice illustration of how the PACE trial epitomises "a little knowledge is dangerous thing" when the authors are effectively claiming to be the world's leading experts.

RogerBlack, MEMum and trishrhymes like this.

See more popular forum discussions.