1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS: A disease at war with itself
We can all agree that ME/CFS is a nasty disease, particularly in its severe form, but there are abundant nasty diseases in the world. What is unique and particularly confounding about our disease is that so much controversy surrounds it, and not only surrounds it, but invades it too.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

How flu vaccine caused narcolepsy.... autoimmune disease

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Helen, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    Time and cost I suppose. And the desire to save lives. I would imagine the early vaccines had far more serious side-effects than those that are produced these days - though I can't prove it of course. Hard quantifying risks such as side-effects even of pharmaceutical medication.

They list just about everything on a pill packet, including the very symptoms you are trying to escape. It can seem a hard choice, can't it? I have had the flu vaccine in recent years, I didn't this year because I forgot and was lazy, or too busy - I forget which.

But if you believe your ME was triggered by a vaccine it must be a hard decision to have further vaccines and there is a lot of fear being attached to them in general - also a lot of nonsense I think - if you choose to seek it out.

If I had kids of my own, I would have them vaccinated, no question. I think childhood vaccinations are very important. But the flu vaccine remains one considered only necessary for 'at risk' groups:

2. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

London UK
    Could be something to do with the industry being worth many billions of dollars annually. Lack of stringent legal requirements coupled with no financial responsibility should things go wrong equals blanket license to print money.

MeSci likes this.
  3. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    or they just decided not to publish any findings of adverse effects, which is common and a reason for the 'AllTrials' campaign.

I frequently see pieces in Physician's First Watch about the inefficacy of some flu vaccines too.

natasa778 likes this.
  4. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member

Australia
    Agreed. It is more non-science. It's unexplained, but lets call it 'genetic' anyway so that people don't get worried about the fact that they have no control as to whether they'll get sick from the vaccine or not.

It should not be considered genetic unless gene associations have been found with very high specificity.

To put my personal experience out there: I know my case was caused by a vaccine as I had continuous symptoms (swollen glands, had trouble eating/swallowing) for a few weeks straight after a vaccination, then came full-blown ME (I couldn't walk) which developed over about 3 days.

Several doctors were worried, I was investigated for Guillain Barre syndrome after a few months (waiting list), but they lost interest when I tested normal on the neurological functioning tests.

Luck of the draw? Who knows. I think it just triggered ME in the same way that a virus does. But it certainly makes me weary of vaccines.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  5. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    @Snow Leopard thanks for that. What was the vaccine you received - if you don't mind my asking - and would your experience stop you having other vaccines? If not, then I wonder under what circumstances you might be persuaded to have one?

I know vaccinations - and there seems to be quite a few different ones but some of distinct note e.g. hepititus B I think - have been grouped as possible triggers for ME. In relation to Hep B and ME I am fairly sure they even did a study, though I can't for the life of me remember what the nature of it was (or the results). I do know that Dr Shepherd has a particular interest in vaccines as triggers should you ever what to tap his brain over such things.

See more popular forum discussions.