Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

How evidence-based medicine is failing due to biased trials and selective publication

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by A.B., May 15, 2014.

1. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jep.12147/pdf

This paper is well worth reading.

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  2. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

The MRC and DWP funded PACE trial indicated that other sources of funding have their own biases!

Will try to read the full paper later. Ta.

taniaaust1, WillowJ and peggy-sue like this.
  3. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Let's not forget several of the authors having ties to insurance companies.

Valentijn and peggy-sue like this.
  4. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    I have sections in my book outline corresponding to arguments in this paper. I now get to reference it. :)

WillowJ, ahmo and A.B. like this.
  5. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    Evidence-Based is a total con as far as I can tell.

To me, the citizen science that we're doing on forums like this is Evidence-Based. Sharing and collecting evidence of what's working, furthering the understandings of the whole community.

Gondwanaland and helen1 like this.
  6. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

I wouldn't call EBM a total con. It has saved hundreds of thousands of lives by revealing bogus and dangerous treatments. However it is subject to GIGO, hype, vested interests, irrationalities, and being managerial driven translation from medicine, and not itself science or medicine. In other words in its current form its over-hyped and highly fallible.

In my view the most dangerous thing about it is not medical practice, but its use in managing medicine. Its being used to deny medical treatment that works, and to promote medical treatment that doesn't, and to promote cheap over expensive. Its being used by bean counters not scientists.

Gondwanaland, Valentijn, Ema and 4 others like this.
  7. end

end

It is a corrupt world run by corrupt people.

Without running of into a philosophical tangent; I question our humanity more and more lately

8. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

In my current opinion, most organized evil in the world is not due to corruption, or criminality, or people being evil.

Its our humanity (though I think you meant humanity in the sense of humane) that leads to evil. We are fallible and limited. Overt evil is easy to spot, but most organized evil is from people doing what they think is right.

We have a limited understanding of the world. Our organizations reflect this. Its all compartmentalized. Government is supposed to have oversight, but they are influenced by the information they are given, and either individually or collectively are much less smart they they like to portray.

The single biggest problem is ignorance. Who is ignorant? Everyone. We have limited areas of competence, and even in those much of what we think is right isn't. When problems in the world cross areas of competence, or most of what we probably need to know is not even discovered yet, then the world's collective intelligence is not much better than the hind end of a donkey. The outcome is often very harmful

There are evil people in the world. There are psychopaths who only care about power. There are greedy people who only care about their own wealth. But mostly we have people doing the "right" thing with no awareness of the consequences.

We had a probable diagnostic and evaluative test for ME since 1949. I don't believe that 65 years of doctors were evil. I do believe they had no clue. They still don't, for the most part.

Sorry, but I do tend to run off into philosophy, being a pancritical rationalist.

end likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.