• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How does fish oil cause fever?

Ocean

I tried Krill oil today and my temp is up to 100.7 soon after. Normally it's about 99.3 to 99.5. It does go above 100 but usually that only happens at night and. I did a search on fish oil and fevers and several sites say stop taking fish oil if you get a fever so it obviously isn't something unheard of. I'm just wondering how fish oil could cause a fever, what mechanism is causing it? I have no problem eating fish or other seafood. I'll probably try it once more at some point before assuming it's related to the krill oil. Thanks.

Ocean

Not sure of the quality, it's Now brand, which has worked fine for me with other supplements. So fish oil can cause an immune response, that's interesting.

alex3619

It is very unlikely, but not impossible, for fish oil to cause fever unless its from contaminants. However, fish oil stimulates series 3 eicosonoids while suppressing series 2 eiconsanoids. Series 3 are usually less inflammatory. In some individuals the inflammatory series 3 eiconosanoids might be a problem.

The other issue is this. Fish oil suppresses the series 2 eicosanoids. If you have an infection, you have a fever. The series two eicosanoids can increase inflammation and hence the immune response. If you keep taking the fish oil you keep suppressing your immune response, leading to a worse infection, leading to a worse fever. The fever is not from the fish oil however, but a response to infection in this case. The fish oil just limits your ability to fight the infection.

Bye, Alex

Enid

Interesting thread - I've had to drop supplementary fish oils and restrict my oily fish intake to twice a week only. Can't understand why but too much makes me want to vomit now.

Ocean

Thanks for the ideas. I've been eating a good amount of fish so I may just stick with that for now. I think the fever may have been coincidental but since I ended up getting insomnia from the fish oil, as I seem to do with anything that has an effect of giving energy or mental clarity, I'm not going to take it again for now. I may try later with a liquid, that way I can control the dosage.